ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

- What's a good type of Torque Wrench?

I DIY a lot more after owning the Z. Armed with lots of info on here, I've ventured into areas where I wouldn't before. Most of these small jobs are very rewarding. So I want to invest in a set of torque wrenches. 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". What are the different types? I've seen some are $130+ each and I found a set can be had for $50 for all 3. What gives?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-3-PIT...-/231074071788

I already have a click-type super heavy duty ones for wheels. These will be use for other applications. So my trusted ZPost community, some insight?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

I would buy a precision instruments torque wrench. Life is too short for cheap tools! (that break)

Check out here http://www.torqwrench.com/

I own 2 micrometer models but they also make some nice split beam designs.

Last edited by ferrarif1; 03-27-2014 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

$50 for 3 torque wrench?! I can't get a decent one for $100. Snap on torque wrenches run $350+.

Run away from the $50 or less torque wrench.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Two simple rules to live by, "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once". Go with a brand that has a reputation for quality not just in the product, but their customer service. Snap-On, Craftsman, and Matco come to mind. Craftsman being on the lower end of the spectrum, but their warranty and replacement policy is excellent.
      03-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Craftsman snap wrenchs are exactly the same as the ones they sell at Harbor Freight, take one apart and you'll see what I mean. They're fine for wheels and such, but I wouldn't trust one for anything less than 20 ft lb.

Precision instruments is definitely the way to go. They're the manufacturer for SnapOn torque wrenches.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

If you are planning to do a large range of work, you may consider one for each drive (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2) with appropriate torque ranges. The 1/2 would be suitable for wheel lugs, the 1/4 for delicate engine work such as header nuts, and the 3/8 for everything in between. You will also need to find a cross-refernce guide (easily found on the Internet for free) for conversion from Nm to Ft-lbs.
      03-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
I would buy a precision instruments torque wrench. Life is too short for cheap tools! (that break)

Check out here http://www.torqwrench.com/

I own 2 micrometer models but they also make some nice split beam designs.
+1 I have a split beam (for the braces and such), a micrometer and at some point I'll get a larger split beam (for wheels).

Beautifully made in the US. Split beam is better than traditional, as you don't have to reset after each use so it will stay accurate longer.
      03-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^WHS
Precision Instruments Torque Wrenches
2FR600H
2FR100F
      04-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
$50 for 3 torque wrench?! I can't get a decent one for $100. Snap on torque wrenches run $350+.

Run away from the $50 or less torque wrench.
these from ECS are around $40 , here I don't know how good they are but figured ECS sold pretty decent stuff for our cars
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Craftsman snap wrenchs are exactly the same as the ones they sell at Harbor Freight, take one apart and you'll see what I mean. They're fine for wheels and such, but I wouldn't trust one for anything less than 20 ft lb.
One thing to remember about most quality measurement devices is they are at their most accurate at the middle third of the total scale (divide the total scale by three). If you buy a 0-150ft/lbs torque wrench, anything less than 30ft/lbs. or so will not have an accurate torque, most likely outside the torque specs. You would/should use a different ranged torque wrench to do the job properly.

I own several torque wrenches.

0-600ft/lbs. dial (it's four feet long)
0-150ft/lbs. clicky (mainly for wheels)
0-250ft/lbs. dial
0-100ft/lbs. dial
0-400 in/lbs. dial
0-200 in.lbs. dial

Always buy good quality products, not necessarily top of the line.
If you have a clicky type wrench, ALWAYS set the value back to zero. Never store your wrench with the torque set. This will stretch the beam and have it go out of calibration very, very quickly.

I use to run a calibration lab in the Navy during one tour...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

my craftsman died in a year, and was not covered on a warranty... I went with harbor freight figuring I could replace it about 5 times for the price of the craftsman... cheap yes, seems to be accurate when compared to friends torque wrenches, hasnt broken in 3 years, but I havent used it *that much* lately.
      04-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
my craftsman died in a year, and was not covered on a warranty... I went with harbor freight figuring I could replace it about 5 times for the price of the craftsman... cheap yes, seems to be accurate when compared to friends torque wrenches, hasnt broken in 3 years, but I havent used it *that much* lately.
I want to confirm that Craftsman does not warranty their torque wrenches for more than a year. I bought the 3/8" clicker style microtork wrench: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...ype=SKIP_LEVEL, to swap track brake pads on my wife's car. Second time I used it, less than six months from the first use (but unfortunately more than a year since I bought it) it broke and Sears wouldn't take it back. So I bought another one then returned the broken one with the second receipt.

It's currently on sale for $40, 50% off from it's regular price, if anyone wants to bother with this one.

I should also add that I also have a 1/2" Craftsman torque wrench that's been working fine for 20 years, although it's not the same style as the one they currently sell.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 04-16-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
warranty is for a year on craftsman

CRAFTSMAN LIMITED WARRANTY
FOR ONE YEAR from the date of sale, this product is warranted against defects in material or workmanship.
WITH PROOF OF SALE, a defective product will receive free repair or replacement at option of seller. If this product needs re-calibration within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, it will be re-calibrated free of charge. After 90 days you must pay for re-calibration.
This ONE YEAR warranty is void if this product is ever used while providing commercial services or if rented to another person. For 90 DAY commercial and rental use terms, see the Craftsman warranty web page.

WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return a defective product with proof of sale to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement at option of seller.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

That may be what the warranty says, but Craftsman likes to play games on warrantying measurement and inspection tools. Torque wrenches, multimeters, gauges, anything like that is a toss up. Not like hand tools, on which I've never had even the slightest problem getting a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Got busy and never reply to all the good feedback guys. Gotta do more research on this topic for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post

I own several torque wrenches.

0-600ft/lbs. dial (it's four feet long)
0-150ft/lbs. clicky (mainly for wheels)
0-250ft/lbs. dial
0-100ft/lbs. dial
0-400 in/lbs. dial
0-200 in.lbs. dial
Ship, what range of the wrench would you recommend for torquing down 25NM? (I think it's about 18 ft/lbs)
Should I own some ft/lbs and some in/lbs?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Ideally, for a nominal torque of 18-20ft/lbs, you want a Torque Wrench (TW) with that value in the middle of the range. That said, you can't get a TW for every scenario so you get a TW will do you the most good. A 0-50ft/lbs would be the most appropriate but the think the closest thing would be a 0-60ft/lbs and that would be acceptable with most TW's.

I use my in/lbs TW's for those lower values, but you really have to ask yourself will you be using a in/lbs TW one or twice or a lot more than that? If its one or twice, is it worth it? Can I fudge it a little with a TW at the lower end of the scale? With a good quality TW you could do it safely.

It really all depend on WHAT you are torquing down. Does it have to be that precise?

Those are the questions you have to ask yourself.
Appreciate 0