ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Eibachs still the go to spring?

I've bee doing some research, and it sounds like the Eibachs were very popular as a replacement for when the springs break on the Z4.

For a non-autocrossed, non-tracked Z4M roadster, where I simply wanted to replace the stock springs to avoid future breakage, are the Eibachs still the go to spring -- knowing that it will also lower the ride height slightly -- or has anything better come along? I don't want a stiffer track suspension.

Thanks!

Salty
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
I've bee doing some research, and it sounds like the Eibachs were very popular as a replacement for when the springs break on the Z4.

For a non-autocrossed, non-tracked Z4M roadster, where I simply wanted to replace the stock springs to avoid future breakage, are the Eibachs still the go to spring -- knowing that it will also lower the ride height slightly -- or has anything better come along? I don't want a stiffer track suspension.

Thanks!

Salty
Do you have a broken spring or just looking for a lower ride? Mileage on current suspension?

If you're at 40k or thereabouts the original OEM shocks are almost certainly toast. In that case I'd recommend going with H&R Coilovers, or replacing both springs and shocks. H&R may be the ticket you're looking for given the desired application (street, stock ride or better, lowering capability).
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Do you have a broken spring or just looking for a lower ride? Mileage on current suspension?

If you're at 40k or thereabouts the original OEM shocks are almost certainly toast. In that case I'd recommend going with H&R Coilovers, or replacing both springs and shocks. H&R may be the ticket you're looking for given the desired application (street, stock ride or better, lowering capability).
Finnegan, I haven't had a chance to look at the spring, but I'm having some symptoms. I'm really not interested in lowering it, though slight lowering is OK. I have 32K miles on the current suspension.

I had heard the H&R springs are a bit rough for street use. Are the coilovers good for street driving?

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Quote:

Thanks!

Salty
I have the Eibachs. Lowered it approximately 3/4" in the front and 1/2" in the back. I can't give you an apples to apples comparison on the ride because I paired the Eibachs with Bilstein HD's. But...they will lower your car as stated above.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Finnegan, I haven't had a chance to look at the spring, but I'm having some symptoms. I'm really not interested in lowering it, though slight lowering is OK. I have 32K miles on the current suspension.

I had heard the H&R springs are a bit rough for street use. Are the coilovers good for street driving?

Thanks for the info!
Paired with stock struts the H&R springs alone are, IIRC, more harsh than stock.

H&R Coilovers (new springs and paired new shocks) are considered to provide a better ride than stock (less harsh) as long as you don't lower too far. These are height adjustable, so you don't have to go for a big drop.

More info below. I really recommend changing both springs and shocks given age/mileage of the car. I'd check the end links and top hat while your at it too.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620737
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I was in the same position as you - I had a broken rear spring and was closing in on 60k miles. I decided to get new springs and shocks at the same time so I didn't have to do the work twice. I went with Eibach springs and Koni shocks because I didn't want a big drop and I wanted to retain a softer ride for street use. So far so good - my new setup actually feels more comfortable than my stock M sport suspension did on my 3.0i with the broken spring. The Koni's are adjustable so you can choose a softer setup if you want.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm still looking into options for the spring.

I'm now debating, KSport coils as I've seen a lot of posts (on other car forums) about H&R's blowing out.

I've run B&G RS2 full coils in my jetta wit ha fairly aggressive setup and they lasted well but were very stiff.

There are so many options on www.ECStuning.com for good prices I'm having a tough time to decide. But doing the springs and struts already get's you into the price of some basic coil over systems.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX
I'm still looking into options for the spring.

I'm now debating, KSport coils as I've seen a lot of posts (on other car forums) about H&R's blowing out.

I've run B&G RS2 full coils in my jetta wit ha fairly aggressive setup and they lasted well but were very stiff.

There are so many options on www.ECStuning.com for good prices I'm having a tough time to decide. But doing the springs and struts already get's you into the price of some basic coil over systems.
I'm not sure if I recall correctly but the H&R may have Bilstein shocks. If there's a concern (I haven't seen that here) then those might need to be avoided as well.

KW V3s usually get panned by the Z crowd as "too soft" even relative to stock.

The other option out there some folks seem to like for street--at the lower end of the price scale--are the base version of Fortune Coilovers. These have bearing options and spring rate options too. I'm down to that or H&R for a suspension refresh for my wife's ///M that sees street duty only, but where she wants a firmer than stock set-up (spring rate options lean me towards Fortune).

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821246
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Anyone have any luck with Megan coils?

There seems to be many options but no consistent winner for price, reliability and performance.

List of Brands I've come across:
  • H&R Coils ($1500) - Some have blown struts, but performance, height and price are good.
  • ST ($980) - Made by KW, but has fixed damping (no corrosion protection)
  • Megan Racing ($700-900) - Two options (cheap) haven't heard much
  • Bilstein ($1800)- Good height and performance mix for price versus KW, but have shock blowing issues.
  • KSport ($950) - Seem to be good all around, but haven't seen any reviews.
  • KW ($1600-2500) - V1,V2,V3 most expensive, best all rounders and quality.
  • Eibach Spring and Strut Kits ($600-900) - Good ride, good quality, good price, but no height adjustment. Depending on the damper you choose you may have adjustment there.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

You get what you pay for when it comes to coil overs IMO.

Can't go wrong with a good dropped coil and shock/strut combo.

Think about it, how many times are you going to "adjust" your ride height?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Once...after I get wheels.

But it better ride damn near perfect after that height is set to the milimeter
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
You get what you pay for when it comes to coil overs IMO.

Can't go wrong with a good dropped coil and shock/strut combo.

Think about it, how many times are you going to "adjust" your ride height?
It's not how many times you adjust your ride height as much as it is getting it to the right height. With coilovers you get a bigger range of ride heights and once you get the right setting you can leave it. Also as 3GFX noted you can change the height based on the wheels you have on the car. If you daily drive it in the winter (it does snow in the mountains in NC, but I'm not sure where saltyNC lives) then you can raise the height to the max, then drop it down again in the summer. These considerations don't matter to most people, but they're worth mentioning in case any of them apply to the OP.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
It's not how many times you adjust your ride height as much as it is getting it to the right height. With coilovers you get a bigger range of ride heights and once you get the right setting you can leave it. Also as 3GFX noted you can change the height based on the wheels you have on the car. If you daily drive it in the winter (it does snow in the mountains in NC, but I'm not sure where saltyNC lives) then you can raise the height to the max, then drop it down again in the summer. These considerations don't matter to most people, but they're worth mentioning in case any of them apply to the OP.
My point was that cheap coilovers will ultimately let you down(see what I did there). Whereas a comparatively priced coil and shock pairing will be of high quality and deliver quality performance.
Now if you are just after the slammed look fill your boots.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 12-01-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Chime in on your results and findings when you choose your setup!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

My 2006 MR has 40K mikes. Anyone have experience auto Xing on the H&R coilovers? I'm not looking to go to nationals, just a good blend of good street ride and "competent " autocross capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #17
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

the H&R spring combo with Billstein HD shocks is a great combo, ride is better than stock and you get a little bit lower..