ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

dust boots for pistons in calipers. Unattainable?

Hi all,

Was looking at the dust boots on the rear of my car this past weekend as I replaced my pads. They both have tears in them. Car has 17K miles, but is out of the initial warranty and now is CPO.
I looked everywhere but can't find just the boot. A call to my local dealership says that the boot isn't covered under warranty. They said I'd have to buy the whole caliper. I said if I can't replace the boot, and the piston corrodes and either seizes or leaks, then will that be covered under CPO? Yup. But the boot that will stop this, that costs a couple of bucks, isn't covered, and isn't offered for sale. Yup.

So anyone know where I can get just boots? I was thinking of finding the piston size, and buying a pair from a motorcycle shop. I think some of the older single piston bikes had piston sizes close to ours?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

10 REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER 2 34216753682 $39.47

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=34&fg=10

You can't just buy the boot. The boot comes with the piston as a "kit" for repair/rebuild. At $40 retail it's not THAT bad. If the dealership is as dense as mud, give them the part number above and have them order it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I've ordered that rebuild kit before and it doesn't come with piston, actually. See the second from the left piece in that RealOEM picture? It's not pointed to by the bracketing for part #10 -- that's the piston -- and is not included.
      11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
I've ordered that rebuild kit before and it doesn't come with piston, actually. See the second from the left piece in that RealOEM picture? It's not pointed to by the bracketing for part #10 -- that's the piston -- and is not included.
This, it's just the seals.

Try asking them what their liability for denying the repair is going to be if your brake caliper ceases up and gets you into an accident. Try it in writing certified.

Unfortunately, dealership techs couldn't change a piston boot to save their (or your) life. That's why "you have to order a whole new caliper".

I'll say it the milionth and 1 time, dealership techs are the lowest of the low in terms of skill and yet they are considered superior to all others. If you go into some shit hole shop on the corner they will know 10x better how to change a dust boot (I wouldn't do it, just saying).
      11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Details found here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...aliper+rebuild
It's a press-fit dust boot so you'll need the special tool. Lubricate the caliper lip liberally with Dawn liquid detergent (not brake fluid) and then very carefully evenly press the boot on using the special tool. It's easy to cut the boot with the edge of the tool; don't ask me how I know

Appreciate 0