ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Yikes, scary video. Well, if I can leave the special brake fluid in there for regular driving then maybe I'll give that some thought. I hear the special brake pads are noisy for street driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Actually the more experienced you become the less likely you are to boil fluid.

Typical newcomers like to ride the brakes early, which result in longer pad contact and warming the fluid up. Experienced people can trailbrake.
Perhaps. But there's a reason professional race cars don't settle for OEM street-grade equipment. If you need to take measures to not burn up your brakes, you are limiting yourself and the car. Can you still have fun? Sure.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #26
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

For anyone wanting to get into high performance driving, I would highly suggest Auto-X before hitting the track. Chances are there's an auto-X within an hour of your house, or less. There's a lot less to worry about, because you don't ever get above 50MPH or so.. To do an Auto-X you don't need to change fluids or anything, just run it as is.. Auto-X isn't any more damaging to a car than a spirited drive, kind of the best of both worlds..

Getting into the road course deal is addictive and expensive, both in terms of doing the events and the maintenance with your car. It's VERY hard on cars, but as others have said, what's the point of owning a car like this if you're not gonna use it...?

You won't forgo copulating with your significant other so they're in better shape for the next person, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
For anyone wanting to get into high performance driving, I would highly suggest Auto-X before hitting the track. Chances are there's an auto-X within an hour of your house, or less. There's a lot less to worry about, because you don't ever get above 50MPH or so.. To do an Auto-X you don't need to change fluids or anything, just run it as is.. Auto-X isn't any more damaging to a car than a spirited drive, kind of the best of both worlds..

Getting into the road course deal is addictive and expensive, both in terms of doing the events and the maintenance with your car. It's VERY hard on cars, but as others have said, what's the point of owning a car like this if you're not gonna use it...?

You won't forgo copulating with your significant other so they're in better shape for the next person, right?
I agree with what your saying except the Bold
My main issue with Auto-X is the wear & tear of not having the car properly warmed up, then going balls out for a few min/sec & then stopping again.
Most of the ones I've seen dont have a warm up area, IDK if thats the case for all.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #28
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

1. BMW Motorsport cars are built for track driving.
2. The track is the ONLY place to drive at high speed safely.
3. As you progress you realize how bad 95% of the drivers on the streets are.
4. You become more aware and a far better driver.
5. Cars are made to be DRIVEN.
6. A track prepped car is far prettier than the same street car.
AND LASTLY, for those that don't track tell me when your brake fluid was flushed last???? Track guys know EXACTLY when.
But hey I am very biased!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #29
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

My biggest issue with track driving is the chance of damaging the car in an accident. I have done some track days in the past but it was with an older GTI (value around $6k). I always figured the most I could possibly lose was the value of the car. Friend of mines wife, in front of me, in their Mustang GT took a corner too fast, lost control and ran into the tires. Took out hood, left fender and door. Unlikely but at the same time she wasn't trying to impress anyone, just went faster than she should have.

By the time I buy event accident insurance, pay fees, hotel, wear and tear items, travel, etc. I am not sure I will go to the track often (haven't had the car that long).

I wouldn't believe my insurance agent (HDPE/non timed events covered) for a second unless it was in writing. Most insurance won't cover it and after the accident I am sure they will try anything possible to get out of paying. Odd thing is I can be drunk and going 150 mph on a city street, get in an accident and this accident is covered but at the track in a non timed event, controlled passing, it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Here is what I do when I get the jones for the track. Drive to Vegas, spend $350-500 on a session at Exotic Racing. Drive a much, much faster car and keep the wear and tear off mine. Spend what I would otherwise spend on wear items on a good time in Sin City.

http://www.exoticsracing.com/?source...Fag7MgodpAoAPA
      03-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Here is what I do when I get the jones for the track. Drive to Vegas, spend $350-500 on a session at Exotic Racing. Drive a much, much faster car and keep the wear and tear off mine. Spend what I would otherwise spend on wear items on a good time in Sin City.

That's awesome, next time I'm in Vegas I'm gonna have to do that for sure!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #32
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post

I agree with what your saying except the Bold
My main issue with Auto-X is the wear & tear of not having the car properly warmed up, then going balls out for a few min/sec & then stopping again.
Most of the ones I've seen dont have a warm up area, IDK if thats the case for all.
When I go to GRID I take my time and drive around the parking lot. When it's time to get there the car is almost warm and I leave running it til it gets to temp. I never turn the car off til all of my runs are done either
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2003 M3 Vert

I go to driving schools because I enjoy it.

For anybody considering a school, you will probably have to have your car inspected by a professional beforehand, so you would want to change the brake fluid at that time if it is more than six months old. More than that I don't think is necessary at first, but if you enjoy it and want to do more schools, you will quickly realize that better pads and better tires will make a huge difference. After that the biggest upgrade will be yourself and what you learn, it could be years before you "need" any additional upgrades to your car.

Most schools, even smaller, independent track days, now offer insurance. If you're nervous, buy it. I have never seen an accident at a track day or school caused by another car, it has always been the driver's fault. Drive to your ability and not beyond it and you will probably be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
1. BMW Motorsport cars are built for track driving.
2. The track is the ONLY place to drive at high speed safely.
3. As you progress you realize how bad 95% of the drivers on the streets are.
4. You become more aware and a far better driver.
5. Cars are made to be DRIVEN.
6. A track prepped car is far prettier than the same street car.
AND LASTLY, for those that don't track tell me when your brake fluid was flushed last???? Track guys know EXACTLY when.
But hey I am very biased!
Agree on all of these points. Brake fluid flushed? Last Friday. (Really) Also agree with JasonH's assessment of prep required for a first outing. If you get hooked, you'll end up doing a lot of it yourself. Cheaper, and you'll know it's done right.

For those considering the risk to the car--and there is risk--or wear and tear, consider the skills you develop on track (car control, and track awareness) can save you and your car on the street. With a good outfit, proper instruction, and a reasonable amount of care you can learn a lot and manage risks. (AutoX is great for car control, and can add skills, but it doesn't teach you track awareness.) I know some will disagree with me, as they have in the past, but I've found it's more dangerous traveling too and from the track (or on public roads in general) than on the track itself. (Racing, that's another story.)

On our way to the track last Friday night, someone cut across two lanes on an on ramp on his way into my wife's driver's door. Because she was aware of him, and all of the other cars around her, she could move safely out of this idiot's way (couldn't brake, two cars behind her). I've counted no less than 12 things in the past two years that have happened too and from the track to Krissi and me where car control and awareness came in very handy. It must have been stupid night too, as a Mustang and Camaro were street racing on the same freeway at well over 100, cutting the entire freeway. (Saw them coming well before they got to us.)

Three weeks ago, someone one car length in front of me cut across a three lane off ramp from the far left into the far right lane (where I was), in a corner, right in front of me and then dug full into brakes/ABS. In the middle of an off ramp. At 55 MPH. In a corner. I put my unweighted (right) wheels off, used about 1 foot of the remaining asphalt for the weighted (left) side, and went around him. Awareness track time and instruction really helped me there, I didn't even have to think.

We still have tons to learn, but what we've already learned has served us quite well. Yes, there is some risk in driving at speed on the track. I guess I see the skills gained offsetting the day to day risks faced on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #35
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I don't track my car because the nearest one to me is in Halifax - and it would take a full day to drive to the overnight ferry crossing and another morning to get there from here.

However, despite that, my brakes were last flushed in late October 2011.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

I agree!!

But - that is the one thing that I DID NOT do when I was there just over a year ago. And intentionally! So, I now have an excellent reason to head back.

And besides, its much better value that the $800 it cost me for the wife and I to see Rod Stewart at Caesar's Palace, singing so terribly that they turned up the volume for the back up singers and band so it would not be so obvious that the guy was making a mess of the show. The Eagles at half the price, give a show that is ten times better.

Las Vegas, the Eagles and some time on the track - awesome!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

3 reasons:

1. $$$. Better to have a cheaper older car for the track
2. Stress on the car means more maintenance which means more $$$
3. If you have a roadster top down is a great way to enjoy the car without racing
      03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #38
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
My biggest issue with track driving is the chance of damaging the car in an accident. I have done some track days in the past but it was with an older GTI (value around $6k). I always figured the most I could possibly lose was the value of the car. Friend of mines wife, in front of me, in their Mustang GT took a corner too fast, lost control and ran into the tires. Took out hood, left fender and door. Unlikely but at the same time she wasn't trying to impress anyone, just went faster than she should have.

By the time I buy event accident insurance, pay fees, hotel, wear and tear items, travel, etc. I am not sure I will go to the track often (haven't had the car that long).

I wouldn't believe my insurance agent (HDPE/non timed events covered) for a second unless it was in writing. Most insurance won't cover it and after the accident I am sure they will try anything possible to get out of paying. Odd thing is I can be drunk and going 150 mph on a city street, get in an accident and this accident is covered but at the track in a non timed event, controlled passing, it isn't.
Lockton Affinity + multi-pack event + CCA discount comes out to quite affordable. Last time I checked it was about $150/event for upto 30k of coverage.

Key is to find close tracks and/or 1 day events whee you don't need to stay overnight. Then find a club with reasonable rates. NASA tends to be on the higher end b/c instructors drive free. PCA and CCA is cheaper because they pay half rate.

Then you just have consumables, gas, tires, brakes, etc. Definitely have to pay to play but there are ways to keep costs down.
      03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #39
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I don't track my car because the nearest one to me is in Halifax - and it would take a full day to drive to the overnight ferry crossing and another morning to get there from here.

However, despite that, my brakes were last flushed in late October 2011.
How about Motorsport Park, Calabogie, Watkins? (have no idea where you live but throwing out the ones "close" to Canada LOL)
      03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have not taken the Z to the track yet, but I have done a few with my previous 335 and I am at the track a lot for my business. You don't NEED tires, pads, fluids etc to go to an HPD event. First event I went to in my 335 I was bone stock, didn't change a single thing. No real issues. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
You're crazy if you think that.

Pad/brake failure from fluid boiling is a REAL issue. Any new person to the track should NOT be running that. You're playing with fire.
I disagree. If you've checked your ego at the gate (as a previous poster has said) and you are there to learn (it is a HPDE event after all with an instructor sitting next to you), you do not need race or track pads, and high temp oil.. etc. You should be way under the limits of the car.

Make sure the fluid is recent, and there is still some meat on the pads.. and some rubber on the tires. You should be fine.

BUT if you are going there to beat all of Ayrton Senna's records and go faster than everybody else at the track... then I'd rather you just don't go.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #41
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I did both last year. Doing Exotics Racing is fun. Doing track events with my car is fun. One doesn't replace the other in my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
I disagree. If you've checked your ego at the gate (as a previous poster has said) and you are there to learn (it is a HPDE event after all with an instructor sitting next to you), you do not need race or track pads, and high temp oil.. etc. You should be way under the limits of the car.

Make sure the fluid is recent, and there is still some meat on the pads.. and some rubber on the tires. You should be fine.

BUT if you are going there to beat all of Ayrton Senna's records and go faster than everybody else at the track... then I'd rather you just don't go.
I disagree because there are different levels of HPDE and as you move up to the more advanced groups, you will push your car harder despite still being an educational event. Once you're past HPDE-1 or 2a, you're already driving solo and there's still a learning curve between HPDE-4 students vs instructor/TT/racers.

And you're not learning if you're not progressing. At that point you're just taking fast "parade laps" if you're just settling with your current skill level without trying to improve in your times and consistency. There will come a point where you can "outdrive" the stock car on a race track.

My $0.02
      03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
I disagree because there are different levels of HPDE and as you move up to the more advanced groups, you will push your car harder despite still being an educational event. Once you're past HPDE-1 or 2a, you're already driving solo and there's still a learning curve between HPDE-4 students vs instructor/TT/racers.

And you're not learning if you're not progressing. At that point you're just taking fast "parade laps" if you're just settling with your current skill level without trying to improve in your times and consistency. There will come a point where you can "outdrive" the stock car on a race track.

My $0.02
I agree to do the upgrades as you move up the ladder...

But the OP is debating going to his first ever HPDE event.

And for a first ever HPDE event, getting track/race pads and high temp brake fluid will push the physical limits of your car further and maybe having a car that has some limits will make you learn at a more reasonable and safer pace.

I remember clearly doing my first event (5 years ago) at Tremblant with a stock e90 328i.. never got close to the limits of the car. ok maybe close but there was still some room.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I still wouldn't recommend doing an HDPE event before at least doing a few auto-x.. It's a lot better to know the dynamics of the car when you're in 2nd gear going 30-ish MPH compared to 130 on the back straight..
Appreciate 0