ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

headers + SES light :/ + dyno vid

Hello all...crappy Monday morning so far.

I had the fabspeed headers installed this weekend and got a custom tune along with it. I pulled 293 to the wheels max hp and 248tq.

i guess that's ok but the AFE intake is what's really holding me back. the MAF doesn't like different housings and i was running extremely rich until the tuner combatted it. i probably lost about 10whp because of the intake.

i drove around for a couple hundred miles and now i have an SES light. it seems to be driving fine except an occasional rough idle. indication of coils going?

SES is to be expected with headers?

oh, and way to raspy now. it doesn't sound as refined as it did before, so i think i'm going to put the OEM x-pipe back in to get rid of some of this rasp.

graciassssss
      04-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

No you should be SES free .... Did you scan the car to see the codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

i'm going to go get it scanned at autozone today.

this blows.
      04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't jump to conclusions...the codes will guide you towards what is wrong if anything.

How does car perform any signs from the coupe that something is not right?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

who did the tuning? if you got the bungs welded in the section one then that should stopped it. otherwise, the tuner should have turned off the o2 sensors

unless im wrong, and i totally could be lol
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Don't jump to conclusions...the codes will guide you towards what is wrong if anything.

How does car perform any signs from the coupe that something is not right?
no indication that any is wrong. the only thing that i will complain about is this hesitant laggy feeling when i punch it in a high gear at low RPM. ..say 50mph in 5th gear at 2500rpm..i'll experience a tad bit of hesitation as if it's unsure before finally pulling strong. i spoke to my tuner about that and he said the computer is still learning the tune and it may take a few drives and pulls in that laggy area before it picks up. my dyno looked clean, so maybe it is just a learning curve..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
who did the tuning? if you got the bungs welded in the section one then that should stopped it. otherwise, the tuner should have turned off the o2 sensors

unless im wrong, and i totally could be lol

tuning done by Frank Smith in belle park MD. phenomenal tuner. can't stress enough how good he is, patient, experienced (former racer and tuning for 20+ years). funny thing, he called me an hour ago just to ask me how the tune was feeling since i got some miles on the car now. i mentioned the SES and he said he'll try and flash it next time i see him.

guess it's not that bad...i'll just keep driving until everything is 'relearned' and forget that light is there. i mean, all it's really telling me is that i'm missing 2 cats up front right?
      04-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Just get the codes... It could be from the tune or from the install of headers.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

doing the driving, all i hear is tinny rasp with my windows down. throttle blips are raspy, a mild pass on the highway is raspy. rasp city.

BUT

i had my buddy drive it up and down this secluded street. didn't think to record because it was really spontaneous. i asked him to casually drive off so i could hear what it's like when i'm just out and about. it had such a deep burble without a hint of the tinny sound i was hearing in the driver's seat. the volume i'll attribute to the headers and x-pipe but wow just wow do the arqray mufflers do a fantastic job of making it all sound amazing. this is why i went for a quieter muffler.

after my buddy drove off casually he turned around at the end of the street and ripped it. holy chit!!! i already knew it was loud, but i didn't know it sounded like an exotic racer from outside the car. not ricer, as i was inclined to think beforehand. i promise exterior vids. some of you may have been following the progression with youtube vids when i had just arqray, then with rogue x-pipe, and now with the fabspeed.

this is all i have for now. i don't think i will remove the x-pipe lol.

04-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Nice. What r your codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Nice. What r your codes?
i'll go today to find out. i haven't been all to concerned with it to be honest. everyone is telling me it's a cat related issue...and considering i deleted a set it makes sense. the hesitation i'm feeling at 2-3.5k under load is likely just a tuning related issue which my tuner will look into.

the tuner said he's working on some software to get rid of the light and VAC motorsports where i bought the headers said the same.