ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Service Interval 2 (~ 50k Service)

Is this something that contains a lot of DIY jobs? I think I remember the service manager telling me everything that they typically do and nothing sounded all too bad except for inspecting the timing?

From anyone who's experienced in doing their own maintenance how difficult would something like this be? I'm no nooby and I'm pretty ambitious I just don't want to get over my head, also would like to avoid spending 2,000 bones on unnecessary maintenance or another absurd amount on tools required to complete the job.

TAI
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

They're all DIY jobs. Do a search and you'll find lots of DIYs and videos.

I think the only one that requires much cash outlay is the valve adjustment.
I bought the shim kit, magnetic shim picker, Matco offset feeler gauges and a 1/2 decent micrometer for less than the $600 quoted price of one valve adjustment.

A shampoo pump and the right size allen sockets will cover the trans and diff fluid change.
Some speed bleeders for the brake fluid change.
A Schwaben long magnetic spark plug socket.

Don't think there was much else needed.
OH!! 32mm socket to turn the crank.

Last edited by StickMon; 01-18-2014 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Another advantage of DIY is you know the work got done.
I think you'd be hard pressed to tell if most of the things on the checklist were done or not.
You can pull the dipstick to see if the oil looks clean. That's about it.

I got burned my an indie mechanic. Over the subsequent year I gradually came to realize he didn't do anything he said he did. Now I do it all myself.
      01-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

What I'm starting to think is that there are specific items I will take to the shop and have them do (the BMW of Austin Dealership is pretty reliable) and then the other items that I know that I can handle I'll tackle myself at home. Some of the service items are pretty simple but others I just don't have the means to store the tools or the space to do the services.

I need to look up the service list though, the dealer showed me it when I went in a couple months ago but I've totally forgotten what all was on it now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2007 Z4 Service Maintenance Checklist.pdf (150.8 KB, 405 views)
      01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes sir Bosstones that is absolutely what I was looking for.

Here's my only question over the items on that checklist.
M-Mobility System Sealant Cartridge

I've already bled/flushed my brakes
Oil change 3k miles ago
Just purchased an aFe Intake

So I'm missing trans fluid and diff fluid. I think that's what I'll have them do at the dealership and maybe the valve timing check (not sure how crucial this really is).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Trans and diff are easy to do. I am not well versed in DIY car maintenance aside from oil changes, but getting the car up on jack stands is harder than the fluid change. I did my trans just before winter. I was set to do the diff but I wanted to use a different pump bottle, which, of course, I didn't have, than I used for the trans. There are posts for getting a stubby hex driver for the trans fill plug since there is not a lot of room (I got one from Snap-On for a decent price). ReL valve timing, I'd get it done. Others here have done it themselves and said it wasn't that bad to do, but I haven't gotten to that point myself yet. If I am brave enough to try it by then, I will. Otherwise, I'll just have a shop do it or find someone local to help me out.
      01-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

There is a really nice BMW shop down the road from me that might be able to do the service for a lesser price but is it ok to trust them with something such as Valve Timing? I know it's not the most complicated thing in the world but I just hate to deal with second hand work for some serious problems if it's more technical than I think it is.

Where do you dispose your old fluids? I guess that's my greatest question. Pan plus Hex Drivers seems too easy... I have a decent jack but I'd need more stands. Looks like it would be around 200 or so for parts plus fluids for that kind of service?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just go to a nearby AutoZone to recycle oils. When I did the trans, I just put the Moupe up on stands after running it for a while. Then used a stubby 8mm hex driver to remove the input plug followed by the output plug and let it drain out. When done draining, replace the output plug with a new one (crush washers are one time use), filled up the trans, then put on a new input plug. It's that simple. For stands, I just use some Craftsman ones I had from before. Not the fanciest but you can usually find them for a good price and they're pretty solid.
      01-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Just finished a brake flush.
Paid the indie, the one in Arcadia, the one on Live Oak, yea you know who you are.

Anyhoo, paid him to flush the brakes as part of Inspection-II about 2 years ago.
Doesn't look like he did that either. Seats on the front bleeders were all rusty.
Fluid came out looking like strong black coffee. I'm sure it's the stuff that was put in the car when it was born.

Speed Bleeders!! Darn handy.

I recycle my fluids at Jiffy Lube. I wouldn't let them touch any of my vehicles, but they can pour my used goo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
... M-Mobility System Sealant Cartridge ...
It has a shelf life of 3 years or so, so it should be replaced.
Assuming you think it will do you any good.
Assuming you can find one that hasn't been sitting in a warehouse for 2-1/2 years.
Personally, I think it's useless. Had one flat so far. Aluminum pin went in tread and came out sidewall.
Had to get towed home.

Last edited by StickMon; 01-18-2014 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I didn't know what it was but now I realize that it's just the can of fix-a-flat rebranded in the trunk haha. I thought it was something far more technical than that.

My parents have informed me that I can utilize the garage for the flushes but if I spill anything I'm paying to have it cleaned up and restored to new (brand new house). I'm going to check in with some locally trusted shops and see what I can get for the services and if I bring them all the necessary parts. If I end up doing it I'll post some nice DIYs (College Education part 1: English Degree coming into use).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
... I was set to do the diff but I wanted to use a different pump bottle, which, of course, I didn't have, than I used for the trans. ...
I have one of these, and it's great. I just ordered 2 more.
I don't think I'll ever get all the brake fluid out of the one I used last night, so I'll designate that one for brakes.
      01-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I have one of these, and it's great. I just ordered 2 more.
I don't think I'll ever get all the brake fluid out of the one I used last night, so I'll designate that one for brakes.
Thanks for the link. I'll order another 2 while it is fresh on my mind. This might be the same one I ordered before but I don't remember...just that I got it off Amazon.
      01-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I would only let a shop that has done the valve adjustment on S54's many times before and can do it in their sleep do the work.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm thinking that I will let the BMW Dealership here in Austin take on that particular job. It seems a bit costly but at least I can assure that if they screw it up, they'll fix it as it should be.

The later debates I've been having is changing out the transmission fluid and diff fluids for something other than OEM and ultimately if I'd like to do it myself or not. In the end I think that it may come down to a shop, but we'll see.

I think spark plugs is definitely going to happen in the garage, just too easy and rewarding to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Really useful Thread, guys - thanks for continued posts. I have 37k on my 2007, and am starting to think about Service II as well. Great to have all this documented!!