ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
effxiikc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Problems with Air Conditioning. Air flow can not be changed.

Hi,

My car has issues with changing air flow. Right now the AC is set to blow through the center, but the air will only come out from the window vents. I can not adjust it to blow the feet or the center.

Does any one know what's wrong with it or have experienced this issue? Also does any one have any DIY instructions that I could follow? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

My guess is that one of these actuators has failed.
They probably have plastic reducing gears, and one of them is stripped.
See if you can find that box under the dash and try to hear if gears are grinding when you turn the knob that's supposed to redirect the flow.
      12-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep

Transport mode, is your battery dying? Happened to me, changing my battery corrected that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
My AC wont go between dash and floor without also blowing onto the windshield. I figured it was an electronic signal. Interested to see if anything is solved here.
      12-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

I have had this problem since new (intermittently), took it in to the dealer twice and of course they could not duplicate the problem. With mine, the change over is sluggish, as if something was sticky in the mechanism.

I have developed a routine which seems to minimize the problem during the months when I drive windows down and do not use the air controls which then become "sticky". After driving for a while and allowing everything to fully warm up, I will turn the fan and heat to high and cycle through the windshield/vent/floor settings slowly several times. Initially it takes about 10-20 seconds to redirect the air between settings but after several cycles, the redirect will occur in a few seconds.
      01-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
effxiikc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozyj View Post
Transport mode, is your battery dying? Happened to me, changing my battery corrected that.
Yea I found out it was from my battery dying. After replacing my battery the vents started to work again.

I ignored so many signs that my battery was dying :x (slow starts, computer reseting, etc...all ignored)

Thanks for the help though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

As many people agree, 4 (years) and out for me has been my rule after 30 years experience. This is for living in the NorthEast (ymmv). Particularly with this car and its electrical gremlins, I'll be changing mine out at the 4 year mark.

That said...when I bought the car (pre-owned in May of '11) a new Interstate battery was put in during the pre-sale inspection. I'm not sure if it's an AGM battery. Have those with extended AGM battery experience in the NorthEast seen battery lives beyond 4 years?
Appreciate 0