ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Wink Tragedy, but with a happy ending

So I was driving back home from Utah yesterday in the M when Wyoming decided it would be a good time to have a blizzard (go figure.) No big deal, except that apparently Wyoming uses some sort of mixture on the roads that contains tiny chunks of rock or gravel. By the time I got clear of Wyoming, my car had been bombarded with these little bastards and it took a toll on her... My windshield looked like the surface of the moon, thousands of bits of glass chipped away and the entire hood, front bumper and both headlight assemblies were chipped pretty bad.

Needless to say, I was pretty displeased with the situation, so on my way back home I called my insurance agency, USAA, and filed a claim under comprehensive damage. As soon as I got home today I took the M to one of the contracted auto body shops (an incredibly reputable one, surprising,) and had them work up an estimate.

Long story short, I'm paying my $150 deductible, while USAA is footing the rest of the $5,200 bill and I'm going to end up with 2 brand new headlight assemblies and an almost entirely new paint job.

Not only that, but the body shop is going to paint my roof Piano Black like I was planning on getting done, anyway, and they aren't going to charge extra to do it. Aaaaand (yes, there's more,) while the rest of the work gets done, they are also going to paint and install my new Aero side skirts for only $400.

So in the end, what I thought was going to be a disaster turned out in my favor (and I finally get back some of what I've paid insurance companies over the years.)

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I love USAA.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Sounds good, but I'd hold off on the cheering until the car is done - silver gray seems like it would be tough to match.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown
Sounds good, but I'd hold off on the cheering until the car is done - silver gray seems like it would be tough to match.
Well, if they can't match it satisfactorily, that would make a good case for the rest of the car to get painted.

I'm optimistic, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Big thumbs up for USAA. I love having an insurance company that acts like they care!
      10-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
I love USAA.
Based in SA, I had USAA's old Securities head as a finance professor. good company.

Op: its sounds like a blessing in disguise. Im thinking of repainting and clear bra my front bumper, of course the side skirts would have to be done at the same time as well

Post pics when done!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

USAA, I agree, I can't say enough good things about them.

Sounds like this may indeed turn out well. Fingers are crossed!

And, what the hell do they put on those roads? Pumice and other volcanic rock?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Make sure you get your reflectors painted!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
If WY is anything like Colorado, its a mix of salt to melt packed ice and sand which is really more of a small gravel to improve traction.
I have State Farm with a glass replacement option just for this reason. I can replace the windshield once a year at no cost and no deductible.
Sand is only used in the mountains, Denver has not used sand and salt since the 80's and now uses a liquid chemical de-icer on city streets (which has its own drawbacks as far as cleaning your car during the winter months).
At least in Colorado "sand" is keeping you from sliding off the side of 14,000 ft mountain. I don't know why Wyoming uses it, to protect prairie dogs and Jackolopes I guess.
      10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Based in SA, I had USAA's old Securities head as a finance professor. good company.

Op: its sounds like a blessing in disguise. Im thinking of repainting and clear bra my front bumper, of course the side skirts would have to be done at the same time as well

Post pics when done!
Yeah, USAA is definitely awesome. I just dropped the car off today to get the work started and was able to pick up a Lincoln MKZ as a rental while my car is in the shop thanks to my rental reimbursement clause.

Clear bra is probably in my future, as well. Don't ever want to have to mess with this again, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
USAA, I agree, I can't say enough good things about them.

Sounds like this may indeed turn out well. Fingers are crossed!

Nothing good, that's for sure. Whatever was in it, it tore the hell out of my poor car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Make sure you get your reflectors painted!
I wish, unfortunately the shop didn't feel comfortable painting them due to liability issues, but I understand that. I have a friend with an auto customization shop that will paint them for me, I just have to get ahold of the paint. Until then, the decals are working okay for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Did the front Decals hold up to the sand and gravel?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Did the front Decals hold up to the sand and gravel?
Amazingly so, but I think that was due mainly to them being located on the sides and not directly to the front. They may not be an exact color match, but for $20 I think I've gotten my money's worth so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
I wish, unfortunately the shop didn't feel comfortable painting them due to liability issues, but I understand that. I have a friend with an auto customization shop that will paint them for me, I just have to get ahold of the paint. Until then, the decals are working okay for me.
IMHO, I'd buy a new set of reflectors and have the body shop paint those along with the bumper. You can then replace them with your OEMs once it's back in your garage. That way the paint will match perfectly, and you remove the liability from the body shop not wanting to install them for you.

Sell the OEMs afterwards and you'll recoup some money back.

Trust me... you don't want to have mismatched painted reflectors (personal experience)!
      11-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
IMHO, I'd buy a new set of reflectors and have the body shop paint those along with the bumper. You can then replace them with your OEMs once it's back in your garage. That way the paint will match perfectly, and you remove the liability from the body shop not wanting to install them for you.

Sell the OEMs afterwards and you'll recoup some money back.

Trust me... you don't want to have mismatched painted reflectors (personal experience)!
Not a bad idea. They're already done painting, but I'll likely go back to them in the future.

Looks like my car will be done and ready to pick up today, I'll start a new thread with pics once I get a chance. I'll definitely have a lot to show off (Aero Skirts, gloss black roof and Tekarbon Spoiler.)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Love USAA! They've taken great care of me when my home and both cars required insurance coverage....they truly make you the priority and make you feel like everything will be taken care of!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I got the car back from the shop today and it looks amazing. I didn't have a chance to take pictures yet as I had to rush off to work, but I'll take a good amount tomorrow and start a new thread with them to show off everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, pics are up. I started a new thread in the cosmetic mods subforum.
Appreciate 0