ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Stumped - Starter Motor

So, I've replaced my starter motor. It cranked last night but was very loud and very hot. And now it's not cranking and no power.

I believe I may have got the wiring wrong on the starter and it drained my battery. Can someone please provide me directions on where the cables must go on the starter? (2004 BMW z4 3.0i)?

Or, is there another reason behind why I have no power? It only happened after replacing my starter. Starter was VERY hot to touch and now there is zero power. I then thought it was the alternator because when I boost the car and then remove the jumper cables, the car turns off.

Thus, I believe it was the starter's wiring that I have mixed up which then drained the battery completely.

Can someone provide me with detailed instructions on the wiring involved with the starter motor please?

Thank you

Last edited by SwissArmy; 08-27-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

That can also happen if the positive lead is grounded to the starter body. Make sure that the wire doesn't twist when tightened. That has happened to me on another car.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
That can also happen if the positive lead is grounded to the starter body. Make sure that the wire doesn't twist when tightened. That has happened to me on another car.
Thanks for the tip! If only I knew which one is the positive terminal/wire and make sure the right wire is on the right terminal.

I know there are two cables, one on each side and one smaller wire at the bottom. Sigh I sound like an idiot.

I'm a complete mechanical newb. Sigh, I should not have taken on this project myself
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Found a pic from when I had the intake removed from my car. Hope this helps!!

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Great thanks! I will use this picture as a reference for tomorrow. The wire in the foreground is in the same spot as where I put mine. I cannot quite see where the one behind is going. Is it going to the opposite terminal? I ask this because that terminal is quite tight with a lead already attached there going into the bigger cylinder. Also I have a thinner cable that I've attached the smaller third terminal.

I am so confused and I am bashing myself for not being able to explain what I want properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think that both red wires are connected to the same terminal, but I'm not sure. I'd do some more research and get another opinion before connecting it. You can also take the starter to an auto shop and get it bench tested to ensure that it still works properly. They could probably give you some advice also.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Luckily the forum comes with a resident Electrical Engineer.

Both honkin' red wires go to the terminal WITHOUT the copper braid attached.
One is from your alternator, the other is from the jump start terminal (and battery). The braid goes to the starter motor.

The smaller white wire goes to the smaller terminal. This is the terminal that energizes the solenoid (smaller cylinder) when the ignition send +12 V to it.
This does 2 things:
1) Pulls the starter motor gear into mesh with the teeth on the flywheel
2) Connects the 2 whopping terminals together, sending +12 V to the motor.

Everything is case grounded through the mounting.

Here's a schematic:

Name:  starter.png
Views: 444
Size:  34.0 KB
      08-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Thinking about what you could have done wrong to generate the symptoms you described.
I bet you connected the wire from the alternator to the big terminal WITH the braid to the motor on it.
The battery was connected to the proper terminal, so it would have started normally.
BUT, once the engine was running, instead of the alternator powering the car and charging the battery, it was driving the starter motor continuously.
      08-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Once again the Zpost team has come to my rescue! I think I may have, scratch that, I KNOW I have wired it wrong. I did not put both wires onto one terminal. May have killed the battery. I hope that's the only damage I have done. fingers crossed.

Its 4:30am and as you can see I cannot sleep properly because I keep thinking about this. Will have a look in about an hour and a half when its dawn

Thanks again team! Will update you guys
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Luckily the forum comes with a resident Electrical Engineer.
And that, above all things, is awsome and uber helpful!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Great stuff!

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

That worked!!! Ah I'm such an idiot. Thank you for all your help! Might need a new battery anyway. Vroom vrooooom. Love you guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Thinking about what you could have done wrong to generate the symptoms you described.
I bet you connected the wire from the alternator to the big terminal WITH the braid to the motor on it.
The battery was connected to the proper terminal, so it would have started normally.
BUT, once the engine was running, instead of the alternator powering the car and charging the battery, it was driving the starter motor continuously.
This! D'oh!

Going to go home after work and drive it around a bit to make sure it's all well and good. I only had 20 minutes this morning to to fix this before I left for work in my other car so I did not really have a chance to drive around. It cranked. It held a charge. I drove it into the garage. Let's see what happens tonight. Fingers crossed.

Things like these make me stop wanting to DIY things...but DIY'ing IS fun!

Last edited by SwissArmy; 08-28-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Nicely done StickMon! Glad you got it sorted out djoutcry.
      08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Nicely done StickMon! Glad you got it sorted out djoutcry.
Thanks to the help of all you guys here
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
ledd4u
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I need a new starter mine quit. I took it apart and made it work but I just want a new one. Any help on where to purchase a new one?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledd4u View Post
I need a new starter mine quit. I took it apart and made it work but I just want a new one. Any help on where to purchase a new one?
Believe or not I bought mine from Amazon, they had the cheapest price on a Bosch starter motor. Any place that sells oem requires a core exchange which is not only a pain but their price is still high. There were quite a few vendors on eBay who sold Bosch but the price seemed too good to be true, i.e. I didn't trust most of them. I just installed my Amazon one this weekend and car starts beautifully, no long cranks, much smoother!