ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Help with second thoughts...keep the M, buy a lotus?

So I've always been a lover of european cars in general (i mean who DIDN'T get a hard on from the poster of the ferrrari F40 on their wall when they were younger?) and I'm very lucky to call myself an owner to a very pristine 07 Z4MC. But after test driving a Lotus Exige, I feel like a virgin getting his first boob grab. The sleepless nights and day dreaming is getting to me. I'm really considering trading in / selling my M and picking up a very low mileage 06 Lotus Exige. While I'm sure there are lots of arguments of why each are great and that there are distinct disadvantages and advantages to owning either, what are your thoughts? Please do not pull the "practicality" card on me because if it comes down to it, I'm more than willing to bust out my 170k mileage corolla to DD. The MC and/or the Exige would be a pure have fun car so serious thoughts and considerations appreciated and please keep the flaming down!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

well, considering you drove one, you're in much better position to judge the car than most people on this forum

personally, I thought that their fun factor wasn't high enough to overcome how loud the exhaust is, how close you sit to the passenger, and how hard it is to get in and out. Also, I wasn't impressed with the complete lack of torque
      02-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Exige or Exige S?
      02-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

You have to factor in the prestige factor that comes with driving a BMW, especially a M Car. The Lotus is a great car, I respect the performance but lets face it, it's a toy car. If your main use of the car is the track get a Lotus, if it's more to use daily, occasional track use the Z4MC is the car of choice hands down.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
You have to factor in the prestige factor that comes with driving a BMW, especially a M Car. The Lotus is a great car, I respect the performance but lets face it, it's a toy car. If your main use of the car is the track get a Lotus, if it's more to use daily, occasional track use the Z4MC is the car of choice hands down.
I agree with you about the DD use(the Lotus sucks as far as this is concerned) but prestige? I think the Lotus is far more exotic looking than the Z4M and nobody I know would think the Lotus wasn't prestigious.
Attached Images

Last edited by chickdr; 02-03-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

If this is meant to be a street car, I'd look into safety issues. I haven't done any research on this, but I suspect that the M coupe would have an edge over the elise in that respect on the street. Think about getting hit by an SUV, etc.
      02-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I agree with you about the DD use(the Lotus sucks as far as this is concerned) but prestige? I think the Lotus is far more exotic looking than the Z4M and nobody I know would think the Lotus wasn't prestigious.

Maybe prestige is not the right word......class maybe is better.....

For sure it is exotic, but when I see one the only thing that goes through my mind is go kart, a big go kart. Like I said I respect the car for what it is, a track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Lotus seems prestigious until u have to get in it quickly or even worse, get out of it quickly. It's an absolute pain in the ASS to squeeze my 6.2 in there. I suppose people up to 5.10 should be fine with it.

It's a great car, just not something, I'd wanna deal with everyday.

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

Really? an Elise as a daily driver?

My close friend has one and he drives his C Class everyday... he only drives that once in a while or on to the track.

As far as his comment goes... as much fun as this car maybe, it isn't fun for everyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

My Elise was a daily driver that I drove for 2 years before trading it in on the M. I originally purchased it as a weekend car but it was so raw and a blast to drive, I found myself walking past my other car and driving it all the time

The M has a lot of the qualities I liked in the Elise but also has a few more amenities that make it a little easier for my wife to be in all day when we go on mountain drives with the local car clubs. Not quite as raw but AC that works is nice sometimes in Atlanta.....but it never bothered me. The other thing to think about is the fiberglass body, it can get expensive to repair and is easier to damage than other cars. That said I probably have an Exige in my future but the M will still be in the garage at that point too.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

One more thing to think about is that I heard a "simple" collision to either bumper (i think it was rear) would cost in the neighborhood of 10k because of uni-body construction or something like it.. sounds exotic but one of those can give you a svg title
      02-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Yes, they don't have bumpers but fiberglass "clams", the front is entirely one piece and the rear is entirely one piece and they are attached to an aluminum frame. The clam replacement cost is about 10k but a lot of people just repair what they have, its just fiberglass. The aluminum frame is what will total out the car, it is bonded together and cannot be repaired although some of the salvage repair-and-sell guys on that auction site would have you think otherwise

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe prestige is not the right word......class maybe is better.....

For sure it is exotic, but when I see one the only thing that goes through my mind is go kart, a big go kart. Like I said I respect the car for what it is, a track car.
I guess I can see where you are coming from. Lotus does not say luxury at all. It definitely turns heads though. I personally would never consider one as a DD(and I am not a tall/big guy either) but I see several around the Atlanta area frequently and would assume some do use them as such(as wrh3 said he did).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

The Lotus is a raw purpose built agile machine. Like a surgeons scalplel carving up the road.
That being said, not the best for road trips.

Our Coupes are more of a balance between worlds. If I did not spend so much freeway time in my coupe, I would consider an Exige S.

In my opinion the Lotus is very exotic and will turn a lot of heads too. This can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Good Luck
      02-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
LOL autobahn.... those guys are near me.... horrible dealer
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Have never driven the Exige, but have spent some considerable seat time in an Elise. They're fun, turn heads, and given the means, I'd love to have one as a track car; but honestly I enjoy driving my Z4M Coupe more.

The Lotus is a car anyone can drive at 10/10... the Z4M is much more temperamental and a car you almost fight to control - which is half the fun.
      02-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
For sure it is exotic
It's exotic in a kit-car kind of way. And it's far from prestigious. If anything it borders on embarrassing. It's a pricy cheap toy, plain and simple. It's like comparing a Japanese sport bike to an Italian sport bike, with the Lotus being the Japanese bike. It looks the part but comes up way short in quality feel and user friendliness. Only way it competes is because it's completely void of creature comforts and a standard level of refinement.
      02-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
It's exotic in a kit-car kind of way. And it's far from prestigious. If anything it borders on embarrassing. It's a pricy cheap toy, plain and simple. It's like comparing a Japanese sport bike to an Italian sport bike, with the Lotus being the Japanese bike. It looks the part but comes up way short in quality feel and user friendliness. Only way it competes is because it's completely void of creature comforts and a standard level of refinement.
I think you have those completely backwards. The Jap sport bikes are faster, more agile and win out more than italian bikes do. Ducatti is a horror when it comes to maintenance (which I would think the Lotus would be a lot more in that category as well). Also, the Italian bikes are generally over priced.

Even though you own an MVA (which is a great bike, don't get me wrong) you should be able to see the obvious false claim you just made. The feel of a Honda (arguably best feeling jap SS) is comparable, if not better than that of any Italian sport bike.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Couldn't disagree more... The Lotus has Lambo curves with a Z4 price tag. I don't see how you could possibly disagree it is a fantastic sports car with its minimalist approach to getting great performance out of a Toyota Celica GTS 1.8L I4. The drive train part of the car is fairly bulletproof too. The car is designed the way it is for a reason. It isn't really in competition with anything. It is made for the hardcore enthusiast who wants nothing more than the basics and a telepathic car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

So I test drove the Exige again (and a elise for that matter) and i'm going to keep the M. I think both cars are great, but there is something about the S5432B I6 that I can't just seem to live without. That and the styling of the M with the old school hatchback proportions that makes me smile when I look at it. Thanks for all that responded without too much bias. Now the money that I was thinking of using on the Lotus is going to go into some new rims/tires, suspension components, and maybe some brakes
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Cheers
      02-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Glad you came to your senses.

Meanwhile I was thinking about introducing my friend to you if you were selling... but I guess not :-)