ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #23
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Did it come with a user manual plus?
No, it didn't... I got a copy from a guy in Portugal. I cost me $18 for a one time down load... So far, I just glanced at it... I'm not sure how detailed it is.. When I get chance, I'll give you my opinion... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #24
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
The whole thing ran about $1200 with the software. I doubt I'll ever recoupe my investment back, but it's sure a lot of fun to play with... Chuck I

There has to be a less costly version out there. My buddy one for his Audi and all future downloads and are included for under $300.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There are a couple other and cheaper options out there. Unfortunately they offer no where near the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
No, it didn't... I got a copy from a guy in Portugal. I cost me $18 for a one time down load... So far, I just glanced at it... I'm not sure how detailed it is.. When I get chance, I'll give you my opinion... Chuck I
Let me know if you have any questions. User manuals probably pretty useless. There is some stuff in it that you have to really freaking work to get to (I forget where a lot of stuff is all the time)

I love things like the misfire counter, screw swapping crap between cylinders, couple clicks and you know exactly what cylinder.
      08-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #27
jojodivo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

can this toy adjust the electric steering assist??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #28
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodivo View Post
X2

Also, any way to turn off the tpms light when you're not running the senders in the wheels?

Mighty fine toy you have there.
      08-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #29
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodivo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
X2

Also, any way to turn off the tpms light when you're not running the senders in the wheels?

Mighty fine toy you have there.
I'll do some snooping... unfortunately, a tool is only as good as the person using it... right now, I'm in early "learn mode"... I know the GT1 can do just about everything, but the missing link is training... I'll let you know if I see anything... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #30
bmwzrrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0 and 325it

wow this sounds great, keep us informed on any new advances you make. also who is your source?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #31
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll do some snooping... unfortunately, a tool is only as good as the person using it... right now, I'm in early "learn mode"... I know the GT1 can do just about everything, but the missing link is training... I'll let you know if I see anything... Chuck I
Well, the more I learn, the more I find out you're really attached to BMW. The normal stuff, like reading and resetting faults, adding certain modules, updating control modules, stuff like is easy. But "modifing" something is another story. Your vehicle has a VO# (Vehicle Order #) and only BMW can change it (you can do it with the GT1 but BMW has to email you the data). Your VO# is like the DNA of your car... it determines what modules you have and how they should be programmed... If you're a Tuner or someone who makes money at this, then it's worth the effort, but for someone who just likes to tinker around (like me), it sure leads to frustration.. One good thing, I sure have a lot of new local BMW friends... That alone makes all this worth while! Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Chuck,

With your GT1, is it possible to activate the anti-lock brakes while bleeding your brakes to do a proper job? I know it's done at the dealer like this when bleeding brakes.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #33
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Chuck,

With your GT1, is it possible to activate the anti-lock brakes while bleeding your brakes to do a proper job? I know it's done at the dealer like this when bleeding brakes.
David, I haven't tried it but I will give it a shot this weekend. I'm sure it will be in the DIS software. Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #34
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Chuck,

Yes.
      02-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #35
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
I have a couple of friends who don't have the alarm system in their cars but want the light on the mirror to flash... The dealer says they can't do it... I think you can from looking at the coding... So we're going to try it tomorrow... Chuck I

Damn, that's exactly what my issue is. Both of the dealers in my area say they can't do it. I wish I could get it done without having to drop the cash on one of these.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Easy to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidley View Post
Damn, that's exactly what my issue is. Both of the dealers in my area say they can't do it. I wish I could get it done without having to drop the cash on one of these.
Yes this can be done... the only minor issue is that when you run the diagnostic, the test says it fails. Obviously because it can't find the alarm, but the lights flash just fine... Ship your car to Virginia and I'll do it for free!! Chuck
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chuck,

David, OK here you go... This a screen shot of the test. It looks like you can activate just about every component in the system.. Hope this helps.. Chuck I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidley View Post
My clown nose has always blinked continuously when the car is locked, and I don't have the factory alarm. This was not something the dealer (or anyone else) had to activate. I'm pretty sure that all of our cars do this by default.
      02-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #39
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Thanks Chuck! Looks like I'll be ordering mine from China today.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #40
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My clown nose has always blinked continuously when the car is locked, and I don't have the factory alarm. This was not something the dealer (or anyone else) had to activate. I'm pretty sure that all of our cars do this by default.
It's not standard for it to blink, nor is it standard for the lights to flash when you lock and unlock your car. If they do, it means the Dealer has turned them on through the CKM option. But, I think that's great... imo it's a sign of a good Dealer... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #41
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

My clown nose doesn't blink, but my lights blink when I lock/unlock. I wish I had known it could be done when I had the auto-locking and three blink activated...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #42
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
It's not standard for it to blink, nor is it standard for the lights to flash when you lock and unlock your car. If they do, it means the Dealer has turned them on through the CKM option. But, I think that's great... imo it's a sign of a good Dealer... Chuck I
Interesting. I'm quite sure mine was blinking from the get-go. The lights flash when locking/unlocking as well. I checked right away, because at the time I also owned an E90 330i, which was not capable of being programmed to blink without the alarm, a common topic of discussion in the E90 forum. But I also read that the E46 did blink, and knowing that the E85/6 electronics were essentially lifted from the E46 (including the M3's mirror on the early cars), I figured that the blinking ability probably carried over.

My car didn't have its DRLs (halos) activated at first, but after a warranty service early on, they were on. Apparently they reflashed my car or otherwise monkeyed with the settings. But the blinking clown nose remains, thankfully. I figure that thing will scare off 90% of the losers who would try to do an amateur break-in job. A real pro will get in no matter what kind of alarm hardware is present, if he wants to.