ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Few issues with my Z4 3.0

Hi!

I'd like to address few issues with my car and see if some of you can help.
First off, I'd like to say that the car was in an accident where I got rear ended. The damage was to the rear right fender (control arm, rim, driveshaft, fender etc.) as well as front left side (small bumper scrape but they did replace the strut I bent way before that )

I) When I turn left and go over a bump during the turn in stage, I hear a knock coming from the front suspension and can feel it in the steering wheel. What could it be? Mind you, the shop replaced the shock ONLY.

II) With heater on and AC off, while driving along, I suddenly get a weird smell coming from the vents and right after that all of my windows fog up and have to turn the windshield defroster to make it go away. Five minutes later the whole process starts again! :/

III) After the accident, guys from the shop told me that there's no structural damage yet I've realized that when I close the driver's door, there's a gap about 3mm wide and the door does not sit flush with the rest of the body work. Passenger door on the other hand is fine and sits flush. That also makes an enormous wind noise at highway speeds that wasn't there prior to the accident. Is the gap normal? I'm just wondering whether it's just hinges badly adjusted or some sort of structural damage.

IV) After one place powerwashed my car, the airbag light went on. Now, is that just a coincidence or did something happen?

V) My brakes are out and I'm considering something more performance oriented, but not a BBK. What are good street/race pads that I could put on? I'm looking to track the car 3 times a year and mostly slightly spirited driving on the road. As for the rotors, I found some slotted Brembos on tirerack but they seem to only have the fronts and I want all four.

VI) The little pin in the drivers and passengers door that locks and unlocks it rattles like a m*** f**** and it's insanely annoying. Does anyone how to get that tight again?

Thanks for all the help! Also, if it helps; the car is CPO'ed, so I'm wondering if the AC and the noise would be fixed by the dealer.

Thank you again!

Paul.

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep

Anyone? The top two are the most important and most annoying to me.

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Take it back to whoever repaired it with a written list and explanation of your problems.

Tell them that the job was not completed. If it is necessary, they can contact your insurance and reinstate the repairs. It is not uncommon for a repair to be deemed complete, when it is not. It's not anyone's fault that the repair was not 100% completed - they just didn't realize that there were additional problems. You will be pointing out these subsequent problems that were not addressed in the first repair.

Make sure to explain everything. I think writing is best because it ensures you cover everything, and appears more even-tempered than a guy who goes in and appears to be "whining" about service.

The only other thing I could think is fairly obvious, and you probably know this, but did you make sure the "air re-use" switch was not in the "cabin air" position? If so, that would the foggy windows.

Sorry about the accident.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

#2 im thinking a blown heater core, im guessing this one will be pricey to replace.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep

nlink - The shop is pretty good and I already talked to them about it. I just don't have time to go. As for the AC system, I always leave the system in the automatic position. It's never done that before though and it was always in the auto mode.

em2 - Wouldn't blown heater core have another symptom; inability to keep heat inside the car? The only thing that seems to get rid of the smell and fog issue is when I put the windshield defrost on but then it comes back after 20 or so minutes.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

My airbag light has been on since i bought the car (used). BMW Service records say its caused by water damage and can be fixed.... i just havn't gotten around to getting that fixed yet. There is a connector that needs to be replaced but i dont know where or what. I never went in to detail with the svc advisor about it... i had biger issues at the time.

but to answer your question.... yes water could have damaged something causing your airbag light to come on.