ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I do feel that I may get frustrated but I've wanted a manual forever. Maybe I could incorporate the manual in gradually as I learn?
I'll say this. Having driven in heavy, rush hour traffic daily that first week with a manual has made me a better driver. I don't think I'd be driving a manual today if I wasn't thrown in to the fire and forced to learn it.

But to your comment, that is exactly why you shouldn't get a manual. There's no "learning it gradually." Throughout the years I've tried to teach my wife to drive a manual because I wanted her to also be able to enjoy some of the cars I have. She's got all the basics down, can put the car in gear and move, but because she does not drive it daily, she's never learned to be comfortable with it.

There's no "learning to drive a manual" gradually. Like I said. It's like learning to drive all over again. You have to have seat time, and consistent seat time, and DEDICATED seat time to learn how to operate a manual, just like you need all that to learn how to drive in the first place. It doesn't accumulate gradually IMO.

It's always the biggest hurdle for anyone to pick up a manual. It's not actually any harder than driving an automatic, nor any more frustrating. Everyone I've broached the subject with, always says "oh I love to learn how to drive a manual," but when you tell them what is actually required (giving up their automatic for weeks on end and drive nothing but manuals for that duration) they don't have the patience for it.

So, between the Z4 and the 135i? Get the 135i because it's equipped with auto. Or find an auto Z4 Coupe. Because you have that auto M2 in the garage, you will end up going back to it and daily driving it after a month, trust me.

Had I had the option of an automatic to drive during that time when I was learning on my Z3, I would have definitely given up. But the Z3 was the only means of transportation I had and trading it back after a couple of weeks was not an option, so I stuck it out. And once I got proficient at it, after that first week I never stalled it.

Unless you have the discipline to not touch the keys to the M2, and force yourself to drive the manual Z4 Coupe around town, daily, in ALL situations (even when having to drive and park on a steep driveway, or having to valet park, or going out on a date). After 2-3 weeks driving a manual will be like second nature.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'll say this. Having driven in heavy, rush hour traffic daily that first week with a manual has made me a better driver. I don't think I'd be driving a manual today if I wasn't thrown in to the fire and forced to learn it.

But to your comment, that is exactly why you shouldn't get a manual. There's no "learning it gradually." Throughout the years I've tried to teach my wife to drive a manual because I wanted her to also be able to enjoy some of the cars I have. She's got all the basics down, can put the car in gear and move, but because she does not drive it daily, she's never learned to be comfortable with it.

There's no "learning to drive a manual" gradually. Like I said. It's like learning to drive all over again. You have to have seat time, and consistent seat time, and DEDICATED seat time to learn how to operate a manual, just like you need all that to learn how to drive in the first place. It doesn't accumulate gradually IMO.

It's always the biggest hurdle for anyone to pick up a manual. It's not actually any harder than driving an automatic, nor any more frustrating. Everyone I've broached the subject with, always says "oh I love to learn how to drive a manual," but when you tell them what is actually required (giving up their automatic for weeks on end and drive nothing but manuals for that duration) they don't have the patience for it.

So, between the Z4 and the 135i? Get the 135i because it's equipped with auto. Or find an auto Z4 Coupe. Because you have that auto M2 in the garage, you will end up going back to it and daily driving it after a month, trust me.

Had I had the option of an automatic to drive during that time when I was learning on my Z3, I would have definitely given up. But the Z3 was the only means of transportation I had and trading it back after a couple of weeks was not an option, so I stuck it out. And once I got proficient at it, after that first week I never stalled it.

Unless you have the discipline to not touch the keys to the M2, and force yourself to drive the manual Z4 Coupe around town, daily, in ALL situations (even when having to drive and park on a steep driveway, or having to valet park, or going out on a date). After 2-3 weeks driving a manual will be like second nature.
True all dat.

When I got my 89 Golf, it was my only car and I had never driven stick before. Add the fact that it had no hill assist feature and my town is about as flat as Dolly Parton ( ), and you see what I had to deal with. YIPES! It was literally do or die so I had no choice.

If your town is flat with low traffic or has an area like that, well.....

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      08-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you have apprehension about driving a manual trans in traffic then pass. It shouldn't be an issue regardless of what car the manual is in. The rear view out of a Coupe sucks, being in traffic in an automatic Coupe would suck for me since automatics are ALWAYS in the wrong gear, and holes in traffic are lost to automatics waiting to downshift.

I daily mine. 175 miles a day; 60 of it in heavy DC traffic.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Well, against all of your advice, I went ahead a purchased a different coupe today. I will say I was a nervous wreck driving it home. I don't think I can handle driving it in traffic yet. I understand I need to learn in traffic but I was beyond uncomfortable so I'm going to ease into it and actually figure out to how operate it properly. I was fine until i stalled out and it was downhill from there.

Here she is:

2007 Montego Blue 3.0Si in 6MT. Only 46k on the odo.
Attached Images

wdb4718.00
      09-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #27
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

You'll pick it up in no time, it was the right choice
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #28
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Well, against all of your advice, I went ahead a purchased a different coupe today. I will say I was a nervous wreck driving it home. I don't think I can handle driving it in traffic yet. I understand I need to learn in traffic but I was beyond uncomfortable so I'm going to ease into it and actually figure out to how operate it properly. I was fine until i stalled out and it was downhill from there.

Here she is:

Beautiful car! You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. If there's a multi story parking garage near you go Saturday or Sunday morning when there's few cars. You can practice 2-3 starts going up each of the ramps.
      09-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #29
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Quote:

Here she is:

Beautiful car! You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. If there's a multi story parking garage near you go Saturday or Sunday morning when there's few cars. You can practice 2-3 starts going up each of the ramps.
Thank you. I'm gonna have to do that. Way too nervous on the road.
      09-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

SWEET and Congrats!! For some reason, I really like that color LOL!

Don't forget that your car has a hill assist feature. When you stop on a grade, make sure to use the footbrake. When you take your foot off the brake, the hill assist feature will hold the car in place for a second or two - just long enough for you to engage the clutch and get the car moving again.

ENJOY!!

Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #31
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Rule #1 with a Z4: The front is VERY long. Back into parking spots or do not pull in very far as the car is very short. Don't do as many of us here have done an smack the front into a parking block :-O

Steve
Appreciate 2
F87LUV3689.00
SDCoupe78.00
      09-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #32
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Rule #1 with a Z4: The front is VERY long. Back into parking spots or do not pull in very far as the car is very short. Don't do as many of us here have done an smack the front into a parking block :-O

Steve
This is my fourth Z4 but it's been about a year since my last one. The M2 front is quite short in comparison.
      09-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #33
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

Don't forget that your car has a hill assist feature. When you stop on a grade, make sure to use the footbrake. When you take your foot off the brake, the hill assist feature will hold the car in place for a second or two - just long enough for you to engage the clutch and get the car moving again.

ENJOY!!
Yeah except it took me way longer than that to engage. Eek.
      09-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #34
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah except it took me way longer than that to engage. Eek.
I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I won't go all Darth Vader on ya and say "your lack of faith disturbs me" LOL!

But seriously. Once you get the hang of it, the hill assist will be all you need. I'd start by practicing in a level parking lot when its mostly empty, like on the weekend. Worst case scenario - you stall and just restart and go again. Once you've gotten more comfortable with level grade starts, find a spot with a bit of a grade and practice a bit there. Trust me - if I can learn to drive stick - you most definitely can!

And - once you realize that even if you do stall on a level spot that you can quickly restart and get her moving, that's a huge confidence boost too. Don't ever worry about the annoyed-looking guy in your mirror - he would give his left ### to have your car - just enjoy!

Lastly, driving stick is a bit like learning to golf. At the beginning, you just suck and you think everyone is snickering. But eventually, things come together and you start to get better. And unlike golf where some of us never get beyond being moderately sucky, like me, with a manual shift, you absolutely will get to the point where you will really enjoy driving this car and find automatics quite boring. Just be patient and you will get there!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 09-15-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Yank the confounded clutch delay valve out. It will be far easier to engage the clutch smoothly.

Congratulations! Beautiful car. Now join ZSCCA and go on some runs with fellow Z lovers.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Many years ago, my then GF wanted to trade in her 8 yr old Ford Escape for a Z4M. I said to her. WHY? She said it's so cute looking and I never had a convertible. ME: do you know how to drive a stick?
HER: Nope.
ME: do you know what this car is capable of and it's one of the more difficult car to learn a stick on, right?
HER: That what I have you for. You can teach me how to drive a stick and show me what it is capable of.

She bought the car and I married her just to have that Z4M.

Her first lesson was 1am on a shopping mall parking steep up ramp. Hand brake fully on. Stalled twice. Then she go up and down another 10 times after I got off the car.

Then very next day, she took it to work. End of story.

It's not as hard as it seems and once you get it, you'll always have it.

Have fun. Driving a stick is a dying art!

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 2
F87LUV3689.00
Redacre369.00
      09-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #37
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Many years ago, my then GF wanted to trade in her 8 yr old Ford Escape for a Z4M. I said to her. WHY? She said it's so cute looking and I never had a convertible. ME: do you know how to drive a stick?
ME: do you know what this car is capable of and it's one of the more difficult car to learn a stick on, right?
HER: That what I have you for. You can teach me how to drive a stick and show me what it is capable of.

Her first lesson was 1am on a shopping mall parking steep up ramp. Hand brake fully on. Stalled twice. Then she go up and down another 10 times after I got off the car.

That's awesome.

I went with the non M because I figured it would be slightly more forgiving and everyone kept warning me about the S54 issues. In the future, I hope to buy the M version. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to teach to how to drive at 1am but I'll figure it out.
      09-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #38
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Yank the confounded clutch delay valve out. It will be far easier to engage the clutch smoothly.

Congratulations! Beautiful car. Now join ZSCCA and go on some runs with fellow Z lovers.
Thanks. I'll look into that.
      09-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #39
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post

That's the most beautiful romance story I've ever heard man
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #40
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

ENJOY!!
Didn't know the E86 has hill assist. My 04 doesn't, or at least I've never noticed before...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #41
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I had a friend give me a 10 min crash course on driving stick. That night I bought my first manual (a 1995 Nissan Maxima) and the next morning I drove it 1000 miles to college. If you can take it on a long road trip, you'll get plenty of seat time to learn how to drive it and there will be no easing into it! Best way to learn is to throw yourself into the water and hope you don't drown
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #42
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Didn't know the E86 has hill assist. My 04 doesn't, or at least I've never noticed before...
Both of mine have it. I'm worried that it will dull my hard-won skills.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #43
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Even without hill assist (which yours has and is a truly amazing feature BTW) hill starts are really easy with the parking brake. Just pull up and hold the release button in with your right hand. The car stays in place and you release the brake as the clutch engages. I have used that technique on other manuals for years.
Appreciate 0