ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

strange driveability issues? check your BST

For the last 18 months or so I've been chasing an annoying stutter at 3k upon throttle application and a flat spot at 6k with no luck. Replaced a ton of stuff, logged the car extensively with no luck. Around that time my airbag light came on, I assumed it was the common occupancy mat failure and left it alone since I wasn't included in the recall and figured I'd take care of it later.

...all these issues are now gone. Fixed the airbag code which actually pointed me towards the BST (battery safety terminal) and in correcting the poor connection my hesitation at 3k throttle tip in and tq loss at 6k are both gone. I assume that it was either a voltage issue at the sensors or at the fuel pump causing it.

I didn't replace the cable, just opened it up and snugged everything and reconnected. I had lived with the airbag light because I assumed it was related to the passenger occupancy mat which is a common failure point as mentioned above but since I had to get the car smogged here in cali I had to correct the light. Wish I would have looked at this sooner! The car is fun again and I no longer have to drive around the issues, only going wot after 3k and short shifting before 6k was not as much fun as 8.2k and a healthy tq curve.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 (3.5i)

I am have the same issue with the srs light and it is my bst , the cable looks fine , what to you do to establish the proper connection
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Look at my reply to a similar question on the SRS/airbag light and BST (Battery safety terminal)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=9983727

I have a '04....

A loose connection causes a low voltage situation that triggers the fault/illumination of the airbag light.