ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Denton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11.5 328xiT/6 - '99 M3/2/5

Well we're not going to figure it out until someone tries it. I don't have a phone number for Macht Schnell (already sent an email) and would like to be a guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Good thread here.

I will definately try to remove fuse 45 tomorrow.

I will give you update if it work or not
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Pulling Fuse 45 did NOT turn off TPMS on a 2007. In fact, one of those fuse schematics seems to suggest 45 may be part of the airbag electronics. I should put that one back in. At a dead end with fuse solution, I don't see any other fuse attributed to TPMS on either schematic.

Last edited by Skuronen; 06-14-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

I was at my local BMW shop today having a pre-warranty expiration inspection done and I was told that they can code out the TPMS if needed. I didn't have a lot of time this morning but I plan on stopping in next week to confirm that it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Good thread, Just to reiterate Skuronen comments,

Pulling Fuse 45 will cause the TPMS light to flash yellow for 30-60seconds.. Then light illuminates solid yellow for duration of trip. Not really any different to what happens when you don't have sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Denton
Private First Class
Rep

Ordered the Macht Schnell emulator from European Auto Source (very helpful BTW...) and will be posting up results next week.

Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
Denton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal_m View Post
I was at my local BMW shop today having a pre-warranty expiration inspection done and I was told that they can code out the TPMS if needed. I didn't have a lot of time this morning but I plan on stopping in next week to confirm that it can be done.
Tried this with ISTA, no dice. Possibly with another setup but I don't have access to that. Did recode a few other items though...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #30
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post
Tried this with ISTA, no dice. Possibly with another setup but I don't have access to that. Did recode a few other items though...
Thanks for the info. My car has been held up at the dealer all week so I haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i

Seems to me that the system was flawed by design to begin with. I think my '07 SI coupe calls for 33psi in the front and 39psi in the rear. What's the threshold for the receiving unit?? Is it set for an average of the two at 36psi with an allowance of 4psi (+/-) outside of that or something else?? If so, the 4psi needed to trip the warning is actually only 1psi if either front or rear deviates by just that little amount of pressure. If the system were set up per wheel, with each sensor having its own specific set of parameters and transmission frequency, I could see the functional range being more lenient. I went to 36psi in all four tires, reset the sensor, and noticed that it worked for a while. I think I have a bad sensor now though because I randomly get the light regardless of pressure. The part that drives me mental is the fact that they're run flats and you can't tell they're significantly low unless they have zero pressure and the sidewall deflects a little or you can feel some squishiness that isn't normal. I found that out when I picked up a nail on the right rear. That has me paranoid now every time that wretched little yellow tire starts flashing. It drives me crazy to have to constantly break out the dial gauge every time just to be sure. Either way, these noisy run flats are on their last leg. Regular tires and one of my front tires on the stock wheel as a spare after i go with aftermarket wheels is gonna be the new rule when I go on trips from now on. This is the way it's gonna be when these rft's finally give up the ghost.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

I talked to EAS several months ago and they said it was possible to reprogram our cars: "We can code the TPMS wheel sensors off, this is $95."
      08-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #33
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Another note, BMW was forced as was all OEM's to add the TPMS sensors in the rims by no other than our lovely government. 2006 was the last year they could do it the old fashioned way through the ABS sensor ...... The government mandated the sensors so that's what they had to use.

Though on the new systems the sensor is cool as it can give you exact tire PSI for all 4 corners on screen or display, as well as tire heat when on the track. So the sensors aren't all bad..... Just not that useful on our model of car as it can't use all that fancy tech
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #34
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Another note, BMW was forced as was all OEM's to add the TPMS sensors in the rims by no other than our lovely government. 2006 was the last year they could do it the old fashioned way through the ABS sensor ...... The government mandated the sensors so that's what they had to use.

Though on the new systems the sensor is cool as it can give you exact tire PSI for all 4 corners on screen or display, as well as tire heat when on the track. So the sensors aren't all bad..... Just not that useful on our model of car as it can't use all that fancy tech
And we can't update ours to the readout is my guess.
      08-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
And we can't update ours to the readout is my guess.

I wish.
then my nav retrofit would have been grand to have that info on the screen.

this is what id love to somehow retrofit, but beyond my knowhow....

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #36
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. That would rock. I too, have absolutely no idea how. Simply guessing, but I'd think it would require a different antenna to capture the data, and some type of processor to decode and display the data and feed it into the display. Way above my skill level, and probably not cheap. But, who knows?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #37
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Wow. That would rock. I too, have absolutely no idea how. Simply guessing, but I'd think it would require a different antenna to capture the data, and some type of processor to decode and display the data and feed it into the display. Way above my skill level, and probably not cheap. But, who knows?

yea i know Audi does it, it was available in our A6, here is a screen shot of what it looked like.

if their was a way to somehow adapt it to the BMW system id be all over it.

the color of the tire would change also as temp would rise the tire would go from green to yellow then red if at dangerouse levels same as deflation.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #38
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Cool! Useful, and it has such a geek/tech factor as well!

Simple TPMS fault, not so useful, this, totally different.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #39
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Cool! Useful, and it has such a geek/tech factor as well!

Simple TPMS fault, not so useful, this, totally different.
Well said! I'm one who could geek up on this mod. Maybe a quadrant readout in a conventional gauge housing? Maybe as an oil, water, tire pressure gauge set?
      10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

If you go without sensors, is it just the light that comes on or is there also a buzzer if it senses no signal/pressure?? My G35 had a buzzer that would scream like a banshee if the level of even one tire got low. I have at least one sensor thats either defective or dying and the light is on more than off. I finally got sick of pulling over to check everything and pretty much ignore it when i comes on now anyway. I'm thinking about just going commando and dealing with the light. Oh, and the reason I'm asking is because I'm waiting on the new wheels and tires to get here next week and don't want to strip the old wheels if the sensor(s) is bad. Gotta make the decision to pay discount tire $70/each for new ones and would rather not if the light is all I have to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just the ID10T light
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

That's good. Since I always have the fog/driving lights on, traction control off and a bad o2 sensor that I haven't dug into yet (it's not affecting anything including mileage and tags are good til next summer)......I'm used to having idiot lights on. I'm gonna try to go without the tpms and save that $300 for other toys, such as ammo for the coming Obama zombie infestation if, by the grace of God, his dumb a$$ loses.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #43
Golfboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

TPMS delete

In regards to TPMS, last month I put new aftermarket wheels and tires on my 2008 Z with the sport package. I had the indy shop mount and balance the wheels and tires without using the TPMS sensors and use regular rubber tire stems. I run with 35lbs. pressure in all four tires. After driving with this setup, I've found that the only thing that happens is the TPMS light on the dash comes on and stays on continuously while driving. There is no audible alarm that sounds. I don't mind the light being on as it reminds me to check my tire pressure at regular intervals. Hope this information is helpful to others that would like to eliminate the TPMS besides the savings of over $200 that the TPMS sensors cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #44
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

I did the same thing last week. I thought I had a bad sensor in the stock wheels and didn't think it would be worth it to scavenge them for the new wheels, but they had a hand held receiver that they put beside each tire and all were testing fine.....which leads me to believe it might be something to do with the receiver in the car. Either way, i decided to go without them. I can live with the light being on, since it was on almost all of the time anyway, and the better ride with lower noise is worth almost ANY trade off. The only negative I've noticed so far is in fuel mileage. I've lost about 3 to 4 mpg on the highway, but I'm attributing that to the softer side walls of the non run flats. I may go from 36psi to 39 or 40psi on the next fill up and check it again. I have a trip to Houston coming up on the 15th so that will be a good 2500 mile trip, mostly highway, to experiment with.
Appreciate 0