ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The tire thread

In the interest of compiling data about tires, let's get a thread going.

I'd like to know things like
  • What tires you are currently running with what size.
  • Tires that you can compare them to.
  • Comments, experience.

Please also make a recommendation! Each poster gets to vote for one tire of each kind (Street / Track). I will keep the list updated and sorted by your choices. Thanks!

Recommended Tires:

Last edited by beta; 07-11-2011 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

i would prefer Advan AD08 but price is a little bit to the high side

so other options would be
Dunlop Z1 star spec as u posted
or Nitto NT05

or more of street used with minor autox/track which im using now Nitto Invo
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I would put Vredestein on your list. They are a fantastic tire

Last edited by johanness; 06-26-2011 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'm running Nitto NT05's all around on the track. 245/35/19 fronts, and 275/30/19 rears. ~35 psi hot up front, and ~33 psi hot out back.
They are very good tires both on and off the track. I can only compare them to three other tires I've run on the track before:
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's
2) General Exclaim UHPs
and
2) Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs

The NT05s are on par, if not better than the Star Specs. The Eagle F1s and the General Exclaim UHPs in contrast, were more suitable for the street. They got greasy at the track, which isn't a big surprise, since they're one or two performance categories lower than the other two tires mentioned.
I ran the Generals in the pouring rain before @ Laguna Seca, and that was quite the experience. They are not shitty tires by any means. In fact, I felt that they communicated quite well!

I chose the NT05's because they were the cheapest good 19" tire in the extreme performance category (just under R-compounds) that I could find. They hold up well to abuse and do not have any sign of greasiness especially if you drive smoothly. They're also quite compliant on the street with very mannered road noise, comfort, and more importantly, treadwear.
If price weren't an issue, I'd definitely try out Yoko AD08s, Bridgestone RE-11s, etc.
But seeing as how I'm quite enjoying the NT05s, I might also look into the NT05Rs, which are R-compound versions of the regular NT05
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@alvinli: thanks for sharing! Not sure what your vote is for recommended tire, would you vote for your Nitto Invo or the Yokohama Advan A08? Also street or track?

@johanness: Added the Vredestein, not sure which one so I put your vote as the Ultrac Sessanta, please let me know if that's not correct.

@mfanatic325: Thanks! Put your vote on the NT05s BTW, I'm going to have some work done at Performance Technic, I saw you did your 3.91 gears there, great guys to work with.

I put myself down for the Conti DW, since my last Z4 had those and I like those more than the stock conti's I have on my current Zed. I think I'm to give the Michelin PSS a try, so maybe my vote will change.

Last edited by beta; 06-28-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I currently have Star Specs (235/40ZR -18 front and 265/35ZR -18) and so does Skelekitty. We both like the tires--they're great all around, decent in the rain, great for back roads, and seem to do quite well at the track. I prefer them to anything else I've had so far.

I can compare them with the stock Contis, PS2s on an E92 M3 and Cayman S, and Sumitomo HTR IIIs on the Z4M.
The stock Contis were total crap, and I won't comment further on those.

Compared to PS2s, the Star Specs have more grip and less lateral slip, and are a bit louder. I prefer them to the PS2s for spirited back road driving as they seem more precise. The Star Specs are a bit less comfortable and have more road noise than the PS2, and they're less expensive (although Star Spec prices keep going up, so how long that will be true no one knows). The PS2s are a bit better in the rain.

The Sumitomo HTR IIIs are a really good tire in the wet. I put well over 100 miles on them on my way home in a really bad storm (very heavy rain) and no hydroplanning or other "excitement" to report. On dry roads they're pretty good, but no where near the PS2 or Star Specs. Comfortable though, and reasonably priced. If you're not going to do extensive canyon carving or track work (or Autox) they're a pretty good tire (no word on wear, I had them on for under 1,500 miles). They are not suited to the track at all. The small tread pattern is tailor made for squirm and even with pitting to check pressures (tried 38 and also 39 hot all around) they get very greasy, have poor (relative) lateral grip, and get hot enough on surface to allow a finger to deform the tire. I had no such issues with the Star Specs.
My wife had even wear on the Star Specs (prior to taking the car to the track) with a mix of highway, city, and back roads driving with -1.5 front 1/16 total toe and -1.8 rear 1/16 total toe. Current setting (as of last week) is -2.0 front zero toe and -2.0 rear 1/16 total toe.

I've run 39/37 hot with the Star Specs on the track and moved that down to 37/37 the last couple of sessions (no rollover, a bit more bite). I really need a pyrometer...and I'm still playing with what might be an "optimal" pressure. I know several folks running 39 all around hot with this tire, so this is by no means a recommendation just a "here's where I am now" kind of thing.

My settings are -2.7 front zero toe and -1.9 rear 1/16 total toe. Too early to really comment on wear, although the car sees weekend/track duty it's not a DD.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec: The track manners were quite good for a street tire. They were vocal when they were at the limit, which is good. Grip was excellent. On the street, the noise gets tiresome after about 5000 miles or a couple of track days.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS: Only had these on the street. Ye gods they were quiet and comfortable and chewed up miles with aplomb. I actually had them, in the dry, the wet, AND the snow. They performed admirably in all areas. Grip was surprisingly good, though I would not dare track them.

Bridgestone RE050 Pole Positions: Currently on the M. Noisy, not terribly good in the wet, and quite frankly not a good value for the money. The wear is good, though, and they unfortunately seem to be lasting for a while. I dislike them.

Bridgestone RE01-R (discontinued, reference replacement RE-11) : Best street performance tires I have ever owned. Put 6 track days in my Subaru on these plus about 12k street miles. Fantastic in the dry, good in the wet. If the RE-11s are 90% of what the RE01-Rs were, they're what I want. If the car didn't have relatively new tires on it when I bought it, I'd be in a set of these already.

Falken RT615s: Cheap and okay on the street. Got greasy really quick on track, but they were CHEAP. So you get what you pay for sometimes.

Michelin Pilot A/S Plus: Quiet, pretty grippy in most conditions for an all-season tire. Nearly indestructible. Comfortbale as well. Didn't get enough miles of driving on them to be of much knowledge (sold the car that they were on).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
@mfanatic325: Thanks! Put your vote on the NT05s BTW, I'm going to have some work done at Performance Technic, I saw you did your 3.91 gears there, great guys to work with.
haha yup, I did my differential there, as well as my SSK. My good friend Mike (dorifto88) has recently been going there for a lot of stuff as well. Performance Technic was originally recommended to me by Rob (RobMcoupe) and they've been splendid to deal with ever since. It's too bad they're not closer to my house, otherwise I'd go to them all the time for stuff I can't do myself

I'm going back to them in August for SS brake lines, fluid upgrade to ATe super blue, engine mount bolts upgrade, and maybe a tranny fluid flush/upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@finnegan: Thanks for your input, your comments are always insightful. I put you down for star specs

@boondocksaint: Tons of great info, thanks! If you had to chose one tire to recommend (or two one for street one for track) what would they be for the official list?

@mfanatic325: I just got my engine mount upgrade with them with the 10.9 motorsport bolts. Next up probably some KW V3s and tires, then I'll decide if I want to get more aggressive gearing
      06-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

i vote advan ad08 track and street
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
@finnegan: Thanks for your input, your comments are always insightful. I put you down for star specs
Thanks, and thank you for creating this meta thread / summary of recommendations. I love all the discussion here, but I also love a final distillation of that in an easy to find format.

I'm not sure if the rules here allow for dual recommedation, or if we can add a column to the spreadsheet, but I'd recommend the Star Specs for track and street. Equally at home there, and like the NT05s they're a good street tire for noob to intermediate drivers who either have to run what they bring or who are not ready for R comp tires. If I have to pick one, let's say "track" as they lean more that way than something like a PS2....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@alvinli217: Thanks! I'll update when I get home.

@finnegan: You get two votes, one for street and one for track, you can definitely have them both be for the same tire (star specs). I'll update the chart tonight when I get home
      06-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
@mfanatic325: I just got my engine mount upgrade with them with the 10.9 motorsport bolts. Next up probably some KW V3s and tires, then I'll decide if I want to get more aggressive gearing
If I may ask, how much did they charge for just the engine mount bolts upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
@johanness: Added the Vredestein, not sure which one so I put your vote as the Ultrac Sessanta, please let me know if that's not correct.
That is correct. It's also the tires going on my ride just as soon as these ones are garbagio
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I'm currently running Toyo Proxes T1Rs. They came on the car when I bought them.

I haven't had much time on them, but they don't like these heavier cars. They love to grease over quickly autocrossing and they are very sensitive to pressure. However, they are a decent DD tire. Quite at all speeds.

I'm planning on purchasing Hankook RS3s after these go dead
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@mfanatic: I had other work being done so I can't really say. I felt it was inexpensive when weighed against their knowledge and quality.

@johanness: thanks for confirming. You still have a track tire vote if you have an opinion.

@kgolf31: thanks for sharing your experience. Let us know if those RS3s work out for you and if you'd recommend them after owning them for a while.

I'm surprised I haven't heard from any of the Hankook guys, it's a popular tire around here. Michelin also gets mentioned often, and sometimes Toyo.

If you can recommend any tire (even with reservations, explain in your post why) please chime in!

Last edited by beta; 06-30-2011 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Running hankoook v12's in oem sizes. Tires ride very comfortably and appear to be getting good tread wear (have about 14k miles on them and still tons of tread left). The grip is great and they are perfect for street use imo. I would imagine they may be a little soft for the track though. For the price though I have no complaints and will probably pick up another set when I go through these.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Claymore
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Bridgestone RE01-R (discontinued, reference replacement RE-11) : Best street performance tires I have ever owned. Put 6 track days in my Subaru on these plus about 12k street miles. Fantastic in the dry, good in the wet. If the RE-11s are 90% of what the RE01-Rs were, they're what I want. If the car didn't have relatively new tires on it when I bought it, I'd be in a set of these already.
I had RE-11s on my Mini. They were absolutely fantastic on the track, probably the best tire for the track short of R-comps.

Tire Rack doesn't have them in the proper size for my Z4MC, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Street : NT05 - Been through 2 sets, awesome tire that can be driven on the track quite well without getting too greasy. That being said they do get loud towards the wear bars, first set I got 14-15k Miles out of and 2 track days, this set lasted me about 8k miles and 3 track days (although really pushing them in advance groups and scrubbing a ton of life in the process)

That being said I've now driven the Pilot Super Sports since and they will be the next tire going on my car. They offer great grip in the dry, phenomenal wear, and are super consistent in the wet. Now that I have dedicated track tires these make the perfect tire to drive spirited on the street.

Track - NT01 a great track tire that wears down to the cords and is relatively affordable compared to Hoosier R6s for the grip level they provide.
      06-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
NT05Rs, which are R-compound versions of the regular NT05
NT05R's aren't the R Compound version of the NT05, they're a drag radial, which uses a much softer compound designed for a wide temperature range, and a different sidewall design (R compound tires for road courses tend to have a much stiffer sidewall than drag radials as they don't need to wad up at launch).
      07-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #21
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
NT05R's aren't the R Compound version of the NT05, they're a drag radial, which uses a much softer compound designed for a wide temperature range, and a different sidewall design (R compound tires for road courses tend to have a much stiffer sidewall than drag radials as they don't need to wad up at launch).
ohhhh I did not know lol looks like I won't be getting those then
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@gatorfast: Thanks! Put you down for the V12s for street use.

@claymore: Put you down for Re-11s for track use. Tire rack does have the fronts but not the rears in stock size. Then again many people get wider tires for track.

@onelove: I put your track vote as the NT01s. For street, do you want to make your vote the NT05s or the PSS? You can always vote for one and change your vote later (I'm putting PSSs on my zed soon, so my vote may change after I've had them for a while).