ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Reflector Decals

Anyone know where to get body colored front and rear vinyl decals to cover the reflectors?

I saw someone mention www.dansdecals.com but I don't see such a product for our cars on their website...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Anyone know where to get body colored front and rear vinyl decals to cover the reflectors?

I saw someone mention www.dansdecals.com but I don't see such a product for our cars on their website...
i just orderd these from them, you have to contact dan .... dan@dansdecals.com they are $16 for a set of 4
      07-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Older Thread... Nice Cheap Mod! I only did the front for now, may add rear decals later.

Dave

http://www.dansdecals.com/BMW-Z4-M-R...Coupe-C73.aspx
Attached Images

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Older Thread... Nice Cheap Mod! I only did the front for now, may add rear decals later.

Dave

http://www.dansdecals.com/BMW-Z4-M-R...Coupe-C73.aspx
Fronts are un-lit. Rears are lit. So doing the rears may not look so great at night as you're likely to have light leakage.
      07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I've got a spare set of used reflectors front and back if someone is interested in shaving/painting theirs. I'll let em go cheap + shipping.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

reflector film vs reflective vinyl

I chose to cover the rears with smoked window tint film:

...And the fronts with some 3M reflective vinyl that looks matte black at oblique angles, but reflects bright white when lit from a headlight. This allows it to still function usefully as a reflector. Sourced from ebay, about $20 for a 8x11 sheet.

Reflector off-angle looks black:
Attachment 330817

Reflector on-angle goes silver-white in direct light/sun/flash:
Attachment 330818

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
I chose to cover the rears with smoked window tint film:

...And the fronts with some 3M reflective vinyl that looks matte black at oblique angles, but reflects bright white when lit from a headlight. This allows it to still function usefully as a reflector. Sourced from ebay, about $20 for a 8x11 sheet.

Nice idea, I just don't think 3M makes the reflective vinyl in Titanium Silver... (but I'm probably wrong) For these type of Mods working with the color Black would be better.

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
i just orderd these from them, you have to contact dan .... dan@dansdecals.com they are $16 for a set of 4
Awesome finally a place that has these! Any ideas if sterling grey will closely resemble silver grey? That's the only option that is close enough on the website.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Awesome finally a place that has these! Any ideas if sterling grey will closely resemble silver grey? That's the only option that is close enough on the website.
I would guess that sterling gray (sterling silver?) should match your silver gray. If your concerned about the color match I think you could send Dan an e-mail with a sample pic of your car and he can tell you if he can match it. I'm happy with the titanium silver decals even though the pictures make them look a tad darker... in the sun they look right.

Also I'm sure you saw that the price is now $10 for a pair or $20 for four.

Dave

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

I had mine painted

A company in Dallas that dose custom cars at SEMA painted mine + I had the third brake L done with special see through tint to match the Saf black paint. I took off the parts sent them in turn around was 3 days
even has some M flake to match the BMW paint. The rear side marker still shows the light when on I love it but it cost me $250.00 but worth every penny it will last and not peal.

Pictures http://www.forgestar.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=119

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 08-01-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
I would guess that sterling gray (sterling silver?) should match your silver gray. If your concerned about the color match I think you could send Dan an e-mail with a sample pic of your car and he can tell you if he can match it. I'm happy with the titanium silver decals even though the pictures make them look a tad darker... in the sun they look right.

Also I'm sure you saw that the price is now $10 for a pair or $20 for four.

Dave
Thanks! Yeah, the price is quite nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
A company in Dallas that dose custom cars at SEMA painted mine + I had the third brake L done with special see through tint to match the Saf black paint. I took off the parts sent them in turn around was 3 days It even has some M flake to mtach the BMW paint. The rear side marker still shows the light when on I love it but it cost me $250.00 but worth every penny it will last and not peal.

Pictures http://www.forgestar.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=119
Interesting... any other pictures. Those pics don't really show the rear. And what wheels are those.. the look CSL-esk but slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, the price is quite nice!

Interesting... any other pictures. Those pics don't really show the rear. And what wheels are those.. the look CSL-esk but slightly different.
FORGESTAR I LOVE THE WHEELS I have many pictures dont know how to post. I was going to do the rear tail L but replacement cost to high if i had to sell to delear

fasttoys@charter.net
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
I just received mine from Dan's website and my car is Silver/Grey too.

The match is close...but not correct. I'll install and get some pix up of them. I have a front and rear M bumper cover going on and plan on eliminating them altogether for those..so this is good enough for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
midn12ght
gearhead goddess
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 sdrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
I just received mine from Dan's website and my car is Silver/Grey too.

The match is close...but not correct. I'll install and get some pix up of them. I have a front and rear M bumper cover going on and plan on eliminating them altogether for those..so this is good enough for now.
^i concur. btw, if anyone needs alpine white fronts, lmk. I guess I only needed rears.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

How long did it take you to receive the decals from Dan's Decals? I placed my order on Tuesday and there hasn't been an update on their (very slick) website. It still says "Not Shipped".
      08-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
How long did it take you to receive the decals from Dan's Decals? I placed my order on Tuesday and there hasn't been an update on their (very slick) website. It still says "Not Shipped".
It took 8 days from the order date to receive mine.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Just took a second set of fronts, rears and my headlight washer cap (I lost one - blah!) in for paint!

I'll have to post pictures when I get everything and I have a chance to install.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Just got my reflectors back from paint. Along with these painted I had to get my one headlight washer cap done and a front mounting kit for the car (i know, i know - I hate front plates but NOVA cops are horrible so I give up and at least got the piece to look as nice as possible). Add they gave me a bottle of touch up of the left over paint.

This is second set of reflectors. Fronts I purchased form Rick Hunter and had to sand and repaint them and the rears I bought from tischer.

The rear lights/reflectors were painted without primer according to the autoshop this will allow some light to still show through (making them functional at night).

E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Looking good ! I just shaved the front relflector holes on my M front cover and fabbed the face-lift rectangles into them.
The devil is in the details.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Looking good ! I just shaved the front relflector holes on my M front cover and fabbed the face-lift rectangles into them.
The devil is in the details.
Pictures? That sounds like a cool idea - but given VA's ridiculousness with cops and inspections, I wanted to leave an option to reinstall the originals if needed.

I might have considered that if my entire bumper needed a respray.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pictures? That sounds like a cool idea - but given VA's ridiculousness with cops and inspections, I wanted to leave an option to reinstall the originals if needed.

I might have considered that if my entire bumper needed a respray.
I

I'll post some up with the steps when I get done respraying it. Everything is bonded...just needs final sanding and primed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #22
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Awww... shucks... too bad you didn't get a chance to sand off the DOT raised lettering. I had done so with the fronts which is why they came out smooth after I painted mine.

Should be sweet once they are on your car! Glad you ended up painting your rears.