ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

nearly cried tears of joy - rattles seem gone

People don't all have the same tolerance for rattles and I'm one of those that hears that stuff like it's IN MY EAR. I have an '07 Z4 M Coupe. I bought it 9 months ago. Since I've owned it I've lowered it and added Stromung mufflers, and I think this may have contributed to the increase in rattles.

The one that put me over the edge this week was one from the hatch area. Over most road surfaces (not pot holes) just driving down the road it would rattle, maybe more like buzz. I pulled over 3 times on the way home from work last week to try to fix it.

Anyway, I decided I will do whatever it takes to be done with these. I don't remember where, but on another forum someone suggested buying adhesive backed felt. I then proceeded to remove nearly every piece of plastic in the hatch area and I put felt wherever I thought it touched the car (metal) or another plastic piece. It took me about three and half hours but on my way in today? SILENCE!!!

I also had a couple rattles up front that sounded like they were coming from either the mirror and/or the nav display. I removed the overhead lighting unit and the sunglass holder and looked around but couldn't find any problems. Nonetheless, I heard nothing from there this morning. Maybe wrenching that stuff around did it.

There was also a buzz over freeway expansion joints that seemed to come from the between seat bin/compartment latch. I put some grease on it and it helped but not completely. Will try some other things still.

Considering it could be done in one day or at least one weekend, I don't know why I didn't consider this sooner. I am now willing to remove every piece of interior plastic and put felt where it's needed to keep it rattle free.

I hope I helped! This is the felt I bought.

Last edited by DaveJB; 12-27-2016 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

BMW also sells a felt tape specifically used to fix interior rattles and squeaks. Much easier to use IMO.
Appreciate 1
DaveJB45.50
      12-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Great work Dave. I wish I thought of this when I had the trunk apart for the rear suspension install.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Great work Dave. I wish I thought of this when I had the trunk apart for the rear suspension install.
Don't regret it too much. My suspension install took a long time and I wouldn't have wanted to add 3 and a half hours. Plus, if you've removed the panels before you'll spend very little time on that part.
Appreciate 1
Digs133.00
      01-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

F!!@#!@# me. Seems like the ones in back are still gone but I've got 2 or 3 raging buzzing sounds up front. One of them sure sounds like it's coming from inside the mirror. Anyone had this before? I already checked and tightened the strut tower bars under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
F!!@#!@# me. Seems like the ones in back are still gone but I've got 2 or 3 raging buzzing sounds up front. One of them sure sounds like it's coming from inside the mirror. Anyone had this before? I already checked and tightened the strut tower bars under the hood.
I gave up chasing various buzz/rattles long ago on this car (unless it's something that's obviously knocking against each other, of course). The suspension is so tight, there's bound to get some buzz, and rattles. Good luck chasing down all the noises - you can make a career out of it
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Oh wow, you would really hate a drive in my car then, the only time the trim's not buzzing in the entire car is when the engine is off.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0