ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

wtf dealership / Inspection I / BMW NA / need advice

Ok, so a couple months ago I started a thread about my dealership resetting my computer at an oil change. I had not had it done in over a year so I brought it in about 2k miles before Inspection I was due and they reset the mileage computer so it looked like I had already had the inspection done. The receipt specifically said "car due for inspection I" but it wasn't performed. I explained this and spoke with the service rep who said he would make a note of it in his computer and to bring it in anytime I was ready to get it inspected. Ok, they will come through after all, I thought.

Last week I made an appointment for today. I get in my car at the close of business today (I dropped it off at 9am) and find that they checked out the car for small things I mentioned (ashtray stuck, noises, that sort of thing) but never performed the inspection according to the receipt (which was in the car). To top it off, the service rep scheduled my appointment for when he would be on vacation. Since they were about to close I just left. This new rep had told me they wouldn't be able to start on it till afternoon but they would give me a loaner if they had to keep it overnight so I figured they had time to do it right.

Should I call the service manager and give him hell, chew out my original service rep, or just go directly to BMW NA? Has anyone had any success getting things accomplished through corporate? The dealership is Jake Sweeney BMW in Springdale in case you're wondering. Very nice people but totally incompetent service department. Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

My question would be - did the person you spoke to this time say anything about seeing the note in the service dept's computer about you being due for the Inspection I? I would have made sure they told me it was going to be done before I left the dealership. I would assume if you just wait for your SA to get back, he will make sure the job is taken care of. No need to get nasty before speaking with him(unless you had it set up with him prior to coming in for the service).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for replying. The original rep said he was setting up an appointment specifically for inspection I. When I dropped the car off the new guy asked if I needed anything else to be looked at (which they were great with), so I assumed he knew why I was there. I also thought it was odd that he asked me if the oil needed to be changed since I just had it done April. I specifically asked for the inspection checklist but I guess he thought I wanted one of their dealerships "check tire pressure, window fluid, etc." things.

I'm always as polite as possible, I just want to know if this is a situation where I need to stop dealing with these guys and go above their heads. I'm not the confrontational type but this is getting annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Go to the service dept manager and nicely explain everything. If he gives you the run-around or blows you off then it's hello BMW NA.
      07-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Mike. I will call my rep on monday (hopefully he's back then) and tell him if he can't resolve this then I am going to need to speak to his manager (who has never been there when I've been there).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you explain what needed to be done for inspection I?

My local dealer just perform inspection II on my car... however when I pulled up they claimed my car didn't have inspection II covered. I had the like and owners manual open I showed them exactly what they needed to do. He went back to check and came back and confirmed what needed to be done.

Apparently the maintenance approach on newer BMWs is different than ours (which aren't that old in themselves).

Just saying you can't blame them if you didn't take the time to explain what needed to be done...
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
Thanks Mike. I will call my rep on monday (hopefully he's back then) and tell him if he can't resolve this then I am going to need to speak to his manager (who has never been there when I've been there).
Sounds like a plan. I really understand your frustration around this but the desired outcome (getting that service done, and having it done correctly) is probably best acheived through a lower key approach. Which is tough, because they did waste time and there were mistakes made. Nothing horrific though, like a oil filter left untightened, wrong fluids, or a ding or a scratch.

On a related note, the engine should be totally cold before Inspection I (valves), so it's best to drop off the car the evening before. My service Dept. requested that I drop off the car the night before so they could have the duration of the day to do the work and not have to wait for the engine to cool (which puts time constraints on things since the valve adjustment is a long process).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Did you explain what needed to be done for inspection I?

My local dealer just perform inspection II on my car... however when I pulled up they claimed my car didn't have inspection II covered. I had the like and owners manual open I showed them exactly what they needed to do. He went back to check and came back and confirmed what needed to be done.

Apparently the maintenance approach on newer BMWs is different than ours (which aren't that old in themselves).

Just saying you can't blame them if you didn't take the time to explain what needed to be done...
Good point. Mine went over the Inspection schedule with me during the build of the work order. It's always a good idea to have the Inspection checklist with you just to make sure.... Here's the checklist. There's also a form for them to fill in the clearances, shims, and final clearance for each cylinder, but I can't see to find it.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-07-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fitchesbass, I did explain to the original rep exactly what I was talking about. I wrote a very long email detailing the entire course of events (resetting the service light right before I was due), that they weren't going to take my word at doing a $1k+ job for free, and told him to respond to the email so I had it in writing. Unfortunately he ended up calling me. When he said he would schedule it for yesterday I assumed he didn't just write down that I wanted them to check my tire pressure.

You're always helpful Finnegan. I'm not actually mad at anyone, just worried these guys don't even really know what the inspection details. He originally told me I wouldn't need one of those until I hit 30k+. I'm really worried these guys are going to fuck something up (although I have no idea how good the mechanics are) because I really don't think they know what it is. I have the checklist from a thread you posted a long time ago, but I didn't think I would have to actaully bring it in and show a guy that does nothing but service BMWs all day. I will print it out next time. Let this be a lesson for everyone else: don't give them any credit.

I should add that I'm actually happy they unclogged my ashtray. I spent a couple of hours trying to get coins out of it so I could open the latch thing. I was worried I was going to have to live with it because I heard they don't usually fix stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Valve Adjustment Worksheet...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf S54 Valve Adjustment Worksheet.pdf (3.7 KB, 273 views)
      07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

When the dealership (or any business for that matter) starts acting like the Keystone Cops, it's hard to have much faith that they're going to do anything right. Most businesses have one guy, that when he un-buries himself from whatever other fire he's having to put out, is able to take some ownership of your problem and make sure you get taken care of. That's the guy you need to speak to, and you'll only get his attention by being polite but assertive, as hard as that is to do. Sometimes you don't get that guy, or he doesn't exist... then as a last resort you start showing teeth.

RELATED QUESTION: Can someone tell me what the cut-off is for having Inspections covered by the dealer? My odo is 38,XXX, the Inspection counter says 3,200, and my car will be exactly four years old on the last day of September. As long as I hit that Inspection mileage by the end-of-warranty date it's covered, right?

2007 ///M roadster

Last edited by mikeinsf; 07-08-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Rick, I knew that sheet existed somewhere. I'm printing it out along with the checklist to bring with me next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
On the board somewhere, there is a PDF of the official BMW Z4M Inspection sheet. It lists what is to be performed at 1200 mile, Inspection 1 and Inspection 2.
My dealer gave me their filled out copy at car pickup. They also had the valve adjustment sheet attached to the inspection sheet.

If you have another dealer in town, I would start thinking of heading in that direction if your current dealer cannot seem to figure this one out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can't, they reset the computer so it says I have already had the inspection, otherwise I would have gone there. I used to take my 328 to the other dealer and they were great but it's a little bit of a drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You could just explain to them what happened and ask them to look-up your car in the computer system. It should show if an inspection 1 was performed or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If worse comes to worse I guess that's what it will come down to trying. My friend says he'll eat his shorts i they actually adjust the valves. Does it really do that much?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
If worse comes to worse I guess that's what it will come down to trying. My friend says he'll eat his shorts i they actually adjust the valves. Does it really do that much?
Simply put, "yes". Search around for the results folks have posted.

I don't have the specs handy, but Skelekitty's engine was "better" after. Engine note was different and more pull over 5.5K. If a valve is considerably off and needs shimming it's not going to get better with time. These are high-performance engines and need to be treated/maintained as such.
Appreciate 0