ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Dealer Replaced Clutch - Doesn't Feel the Same, Any Input?

So I dropped off my car at the dealer last week for 30k / Inspection I, clutch issues (throw-out bearing – rattling noise), and the n52 chatter issue (related to lifters). Surprisingly the dealer was great about looking into everything and confirmed all my complaints. They installed new lifters and replaced the clutch. The actual invoice stated:

Throw out bearing is excessively worn and has damaged clutch pressure plate. Clutch measures at 5.8mm. Throw out bearing / pressure plate are faulty. Replaced clutch / throw out bearing and clutch pressure plate.

So after I pick up the car, the first thing I immediately notice is the clutch feels so much “lighter” and “softer.” It takes minimal effort to fully depress the clutch. On the original clutch, you had to actually push your foot down to fight the clutch but at least you could then feel the engagement point much easier. It just had a sportier feel to it but now the clutch feels just like the 335i I had as a loaner a while back, it’s more forgiving and it’s harder to spot where the engagement point is. I know being a new clutch, the engagement point would take getting used to but the difference is night and day.

So my questions are:

1. Was that raw clutch feeling I was used to before a result of faulty clutch I had all this time?
2. Is this the way the Z4 should drive from factory? Or did they replace the clutch with newer components, ie from the e90 and this is why it drives like the 335i I had?
3. And would the modified CDV I had installed previously still be there or would they have replaced that as well?

On a positive note, every shift is smoother (especially downshifts), there’s no rattle at idle/neutral and shifts in general just seem easier (less effort on my part to have to manage the timing – but again could be result of clutch feeling so “forgiving”. Hope this post makes sense, any input is appreciated.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 07-21-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
So I dropped off my car at the dealer last week for 30k / Inspection I, clutch issues (throw-out bearing – rattling noise), and the n52 chatter issue (related to lifters). Surprisingly the dealer was great about looking into everything and confirmed all my complaints. They installed new lifters and replaced the clutch. The actual invoice stated:

Throw out bearing is excessively worn and has damaged clutch pressure plate. Clutch measures at 5.8mm. Throw out bearing / pressure plate are faulty. Replaced clutch / throw out bearing and clutch pressure plate.

So after I pick up the car, the first thing I immediately notice is the clutch feels so much “lighter” and “softer.” It takes minimal effort to fully depress the clutch. On the original clutch, you had to actually push your foot down to fight the clutch but at least you could then feel the engagement point much easier. It just had a sportier feel to it but now the clutch feels just like the 335i I had as a loaner a while back, it’s more forgiving and it’s harder to spot where the engagement point is. I know being a new clutch, the engagement point would take getting used to but the difference is night and day.

So my questions are:

1. Was that raw clutch feeling I was used to before a result of faulty clutch I had all this time?
2. Is this the way the Z4 should drive from factory? Or did they replace the clutch with newer components, ie from the e90 and this is why it drives like the 335i I had?
3. And would the modified CDV I had installed previously still be there or would they have replaced that as well?

On a positive note, every shift is smoother (especially downshifts), there’s no rattle at idle/neutral and shifts in general just seem easier (less effort on my part to have to manage the timing – but again could be result of clutch feeling so “forgiving”. Hope this post makes sense, any input is appreciated.
I have not had clutch work done on mine, but I would bet on your assumption the new clutch is the way it is supposed to be. I would think the wear happened gradually and you did not realize it was changing the feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I have not had clutch work done on mine, but I would bet on your assumption the new clutch is the way it is supposed to be. I would think the wear happened gradually and you did not realize it was changing the feel.
i guess you're right, i looked up the p/n from the invoice and it is correct...

Clutch - Clutch & flywheel - Pressure plate
Pressure plate, z4, 3.0l, 3.0si 2006 - 2008
      07-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i guess you're right, i looked up the p/n from the invoice and it is correct...

Clutch - Clutch & flywheel - Pressure plate
Pressure plate, z4, 3.0l, 3.0si 2006 - 2008
You sometimes grow into defects as a car ages, clutches and suspension are like this I notice. Someone else drives the car and says: "damn your shocks are blown". Agree this is probably the way it was supposed to be when new and it hasn't broken in yet.
      07-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
good stuff, now i just gotta figure out if the modified cdv is still there. because the clutch is so much smoother than before, i can't tell if the cdv is there or not, lol
      07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Quote:
good stuff, now i just gotta figure out if the modified cdv is still there. because the clutch is so much smoother than before, i can't tell if the cdv is there or not, lol
If the clutch is so much better, and you're shifting without problem, it really doesn't matter, does it?

EB
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
If the clutch is so much better, and you're shifting without problem, it really doesn't matter, does it?

EB
correct, shifts are smoother but i miss the heavy feel of the original clutch. that heavy feeling made it easier to pinpoint the engagement point.
      07-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

re-bleed the clutch...?

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0