ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
NJ-Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue Z4 3.0Si Coupe

Thumbs up In praise of the notorious Run Flat radial...

Say what you'd like about how bad the run flat tires are, BUT having just suffered my first flat in four years, I must comment on how convenient is is to be able to drive around... on a flat tire. Never before have I been able to drive back and forth to work on a flat tire w/o any real concerns. While I wait for the replacements to be delivered from Tire Rack to my local installer, I'm still in the game (if only slightly paranoid about the flat tire I'm riding on... and limited to 50 mph). 50 mph is just fine to get me to the office.

Then again, for the cost of two rear run flats I could have four normal tires...even a couple of spares to keep at the house (for a bit more cost), but when one of those goes flat, I'm stranded. I think that I'll stick with the run flats .

I guess my primary automotive objective of getting from point A to B and back is a wee bit higher than getting there in the most sporting (or even most comfortable) fashion.

-Eric

Last edited by NJ-Eric; 06-30-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Ramping down my enthusiasm... it was over the top.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ don't forget that they have a MAX range after failure.

Quote:
Maximum range after total tire loss:

240 kilometers with light load
160 kilometers with medium load
50 kilometers with heavy load.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
NJ-Eric
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
That's a very important point. I'm out of luck after 150 miles. Since my commute to the office is only 8 miles, I *think* I'm OK for the one or two days delivery time.

I've already been to the tire shop and looked things over. We decided to just order the new tires and limp along for a day or two.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes, that's an issue with them - user abuse. A woman on a local forum mentioned driving on one for a month before she ordered a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

They do save you in the event of a flat. But I've had 3 flat tires in 36 years of driving and two of those were in the same year with my runflats. I think they're more prone to damage than normal tires. I had to replace 3 of the 4 on my Z4. They were bald after ~12k miles, too. I was so glad to be rid of them.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
run flats came in handy for me recently on a road trip. I was on a road trip to visit some family in CA when the tire warning light came on. luckily I was within 50miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

I don't get it. You spend twice as much money, and spend 100% of your driving time on tires that ruin the handling of your nice sports car... for that one moment you get a flat tire and can still go 50mph. Doesn't compute. Put some decent tires on the car, and a plug kit and can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. If you need to hobble somewhere that'll do the trick, and then you can spend your driving time actually getting to enjoy the way your car handles.

On my old Mini I could not WAIT until the runflats wore out so I could put actual tires on the car. They. Were. Awwwful. IMHO, the criticisms heaped on RFTs far outweigh whatever little praise they earn.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Whatever floats yer boat!

But whenever I think of my old run flat tires, I am reminded of the line spoken by the Jamaican shrunken head hanging in the front of the triple decker bus at the beginning of one of the Harry Potter movies:

"Take it away, Eric! Its goin' to be a buumpy ride!"

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-30-2011 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: spellin' mon!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
NJ-Eric
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
"Take it away, Eric! Its goin' to be a buumpy ride!"
LOL

No, I really didn't like the run flats, either... until I got a flat, that is!

With two young kids, my days of driving for the pure enjoyment of it all are just about over anyway.

-Eric

Last edited by NJ-Eric; 06-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: To poke fun at myself....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Eric View Post
LOL

No, I really didn't like the run flats, either... until I got a flat, that is!

With two young kids, my days of driving for the pure enjoyment of it all are just about over anyway.

-Eric
Glad you liked my attempt at humor!

In retrospect though, I can see why you may find the run flats to be acceptable. Up here in Canada where I live, the streets are in rough shape due to the many winter freeze thaw cycles that generate a lot of pot holes. The city here does a terrible job of patching them and the streets in town are very rough. The run flats really accentuate that and make a drive across town very unpleasant.

But I see that you are in Texas, so I expect that you don't have the annual crop of spring pot holes to deteriorate the city streets. So, you are probably driving on much smoother streets and as a result, not finding the same harsh ride as I was.

Cheers!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

The Z is my wife's car. I don't want her trying to change a tire or sitting by the side of the road waiting for help. Peace of mind for me and her and frankly, the handling and ride are just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
I don't get it. You spend twice as much money, and spend 100% of your driving time on tires that ruin the handling of your nice sports car... for that one moment you get a flat tire and can still go 50mph. Doesn't compute. Put some decent tires on the car, and a plug kit and can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. If you need to hobble somewhere that'll do the trick, and then you can spend your driving time actually getting to enjoy the way your car handles.

On my old Mini I could not WAIT until the runflats wore out so I could put actual tires on the car. They. Were. Awwwful. IMHO, the criticisms heaped on RFTs far outweigh whatever little praise they earn.
+1