ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Variation in H&R Coilovers

I have been looking at H&R coilovers for my Z4M roadster, and I notice some variation. Some had red springs. Some have black springs -- maybe just paint. But on some the hardware looks different, as well. I'm not familiar with them, but some look like stainless while others look like heat treated.

I'm curious if one is better than the other or one is maybe an older model?

TireRack:

Turner:

Thanks!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Tirerack pic is just a generic set, it's not the CO for our car.
Struts and dampers are completely different.

TUrners looks correct.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Tirerack pic is just a generic set, it's not the CO for our car.
Struts and dampers are completely different.

TUrners looks correct.
Thanks.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Haven't been able to fault Turners yet, buy with confidence. :-)
      05-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Haven't been able to fault Turners yet, buy with confidence. :-)
Thanks, Vanne. Definitely a good company. Interestingly, they had the image I included above, but they also displayed a version with silver finish (not stainless, though H&R does have that option for some coilovers).

I asked Turner which one would I receive if I ordered, now, and they said the current finish is silver (as below), but as inTgr8r pointed out and I'm sure you and others know, the first image from Tire Rack is not the actual H&R coilover that fits our cars.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Installed mine last year this time. Silver with red springs.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Installed mine last year this time. Silver with red springs.
Cyclops,

I went back and found some pics of your car on the coilovers. Looks great, man. I really like your 19"Avant Garde, too. The way the spokes go all the way to the edge make that CSL-like wheel really look nice.

Are you still happy with the quality of the ride on the H&R on the street? Do you recall about how much you lowered it?

Salty
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Cyclops,

I went back and found some pics of your car on the coilovers. Looks great, man. I really like your 19"Avant Garde, too. The way the spokes go all the way to the edge make that CSL-like wheel really look nice.

Are you still happy with the quality of the ride on the H&R on the street? Do you recall about how much you lowered it?

Salty
Thanks.....

This is just my opinion here, so don't take it like it's the gospel. I find the ride harsh but in all fairness roads around here are horrible and I'm on 19". I think it's the best inexpensive way to lower the car and have the ability adjust ride height but that's it, it's a basic suspension system. If I were to do it again I would invest a little more money and get something a little better with some damper control. I will say that I have not ridden in or drove any other Z4M to compare it to is maybe I'm just getting old LOL.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter

Last edited by Cyclops; 05-09-2016 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0