ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Steve335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Soft/Light Clutch Pedal Feel? - After replacing Trans and Clutch

Hey guys,

I have a 07 Z4MR and I just recently got my transmission and clutch replaced under warranty because i was complaining about problem shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I got my car back after about a week, the shifting is smooth now however my clutch pedal feels a lot softer/lighter than before. I don't know if this is normal because everything is new and need to be broken-in or was there something that was mis-installed?? TIA!

2007 E92 335i - Delivered on 4/24/2007
Montego Blue, Sports Pkg, 6MT, Brushed Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Don't know if this is your issue, but a soft pedal feel can mean that your clutch wasn't bled properly, if it has air in the line it'll feel spongy or soft. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
      10-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^ This
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

X2, I would take it back and have them bleed it again.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
Steve335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve335 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow
Let us know the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Steve335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Let us know the outcome.
I spoke with the service adviser and he confirmed with the tech that this is normal due to the new clutch. It's supposed to feel like "butter" he said. He also said the pedal should get stiffer over time and usage. I'm not sure if I believe him 100% tho

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve335 View Post
I spoke with the service adviser and he confirmed with the tech that this is normal due to the new clutch. It's supposed to feel like "butter" he said. He also said the pedal should get stiffer over time and usage. I'm not sure if I believe him 100% tho
The clutch itself, on engagement, should feel smoother and better if the old one was worn or out of spec. Nice and smooth--"like butter"--man, just a bit of hyperbole huh?

Does the clutch engagement point move, or is the pedal just feel slightly softer? Try this: put the car in gear (safe location like a open parking lot), depress the clutch just past the engagement point, hold it there 30-60 seconds. I would suspect if there were air in the line the engagement point would "slip" and the clutch would begin to engage. (That would be akin to a soft brake pedal where the air compresses and the pedal moves/is soft--fluid doesn't compress, so the engagement point should stay stable). If the engagement point is stable the dealer might not be off base. Anyone else have input on this?

I'm sure you know this as well, but a new clutch and new transmission have a break-in period. Clutch takes 300-400 miles IIRC, and you want to be easy on it and the transmission during break in (keep the revs down and don't use full throttle). Read the manual on that. It's 1,200 miles on the transmission IIRC, and at the end of that the lubricant should be changed. (Typical M break-in requires all fluids, engine, transmission, diff to be changed out at 1,200--since just the transmission is new, service s/b done at 1,200.)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Steve335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The clutch itself, on engagement, should feel smoother and better if the old one was worn or out of spec. Nice and smooth--"like butter"--man, just a bit of hyperbole huh?

Does the clutch engagement point move, or is the pedal just feel slightly softer? Try this: put the car in gear (safe location like a open parking lot), depress the clutch just past the engagement point, hold it there 30-60 seconds. I would suspect if there were air in the line the engagement point would "slip" and the clutch would begin to engage. (That would be akin to a soft brake pedal where the air compresses and the pedal moves/is soft--fluid doesn't compress, so the engagement point should stay stable). If the engagement point is stable the dealer might not be off base. Anyone else have input on this?

I'm sure you know this as well, but a new clutch and new transmission have a break-in period. Clutch takes 300-400 miles IIRC, and you want to be easy on it and the transmission during break in (keep the revs down and don't use full throttle). Read the manual on that. It's 1,200 miles on the transmission IIRC, and at the end of that the lubricant should be changed. (Typical M break-in requires all fluids, engine, transmission, diff to be changed out at 1,200--since just the transmission is new, service s/b done at 1,200.)
Thanks for the input and tip Finnegan. The engagement on the new clutch does feel better and smoother. I don't think the engagement point actually moves, the pedal just feels softer and lighter than before. I remember picking up the car at the dealership after the clutch and transmission replacement, when I depressed the clutch to start the car that my foot suddenly went all the way down to the floor cuz I wasn't expecting the clutch to be that soft and light. I would like to try your tip on the clutch however my car is at the dealer again!

The car died on the freeway this morning on my way to work. It first lost power when I was in 6th gear then it started sputtering when I tried to give it more gas. I then clutched to downshift and the rpm dropped all the way down and then the car died. I couldn't start it back up so I had to get it towed. The shitty thing is that my warranty expired at midnight on 10/4 and today is 10/5 FML!! My service advisor said he'll try to take care of it but he has to find out what's wrong with it first. I'm guessing it's either the coil pack or water might have gotten in the engine somehow. Keep in mind that today was the first day this year we had hard rain in socal. It was a very shitty day for me today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix my car under warranty. Wish me luck!!

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
They should honor the warranty the day after if they've just replaced the tranny...
Appreciate 0