ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Z///Ms
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M Rstr, Z3M Coupe, Z4M Coupe

Any experience with Z4M front brake ducts?

I'm looking for any experience or tips on ducting air to the front brakes on my Z4 M Coupe track car. It seems that the Turner Motorsport brake backing plates for the E46 do not fit the Z4M.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has figured out how to attach a duct hose from the front bumper opening and direct it onto the brakes.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Would certainly be interested in this as well. If there is one thing I've learned about my driving style in the Z4M on track is that I really drop the anchor hard!

...I've seen custom jobs fabricated with minimal effort so I don't see why a shop would have much trouble cooking something up. My guess is that the intake ports would need to be in the center mesh area to avoid having the tubing get in the way of the wheel. At the same time, the wheel well is definitely tighter on our cars than on the M3 so space may be a factor. I'm going to have a look at the Z4 Motorsport catalog and see how they route the ducts...
      07-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

while i haven't found a need to do this on my MC, i have made ducts for my rx7 out of carbon fiber. if your really interested i could try and mock something up for M's. i have all the materials necessary to make molds and such at my work. although if i did go through with this, i think i'd only make a few examples and charge for just material costs

wow, just re-read your post, are you looking specifically just to run a brake cooling hose from the duct?

Last edited by hansaysso; 07-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: uh, made a mistake?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

OP; did you remove the blockage on the ducts?

Like hansaysso mentions, the ducts are fairly well centered on the wheel/brake area.
I doubt there is enough space to fab a hose there w/o causing interference.

& I'm not sure how much benefit you would really gain.
Titanium backing plates is also a good heat reduction method, if you really need it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Z///Ms
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M Rstr, Z3M Coupe, Z4M Coupe

Yes, I've removed the blockage in the ducts. After reading the posts and looking at the car again I think you guys are right the existing ducts are centered such that there is no room to attach a hose and get around the tire/wheel to direct air flow onto the brakes. I'm thinking may be I'll give TC Kline a call and ask what they did on their Z4 race cars for brake cooling
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Titanium backing plates is also a good heat reduction method, if you really need it.
who's making these for the m coupe?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

I've seen discussion on the m3 forums, but I don't recall who.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

I have custom brake ducting installed on my car. I had to make some holes in the faux plastic grill in the bottom part of the bumper, but my tuner routed the ducting, restricted the lock a bit on the steering rack to prevent the flexible hose from getting crushed and fixed them to custom made stainless steel rotor covers fixed to the inside of my StopTech brakes.

The cooling made dramatic improvements on my car and a cheap and worthy mod. I posted a couple of pictures showing the basic routing.
Attached Images

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Nice, did you keep the original openings? With that mod, I could see retrofitting fog lights in the existing brake ducts. Hmm....

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Nice, did you keep the original openings? With that mod, I could see retrofitting fog lights in the existing brake ducts. Hmm....
I intentionally planned to use the original intakes to feed the ducts, but they are too close to the wheels and the tubing couldn't be routed to wrap around the wheels to the rotor. I'm leaving the original intake ducts alone. I am considering using it to route an engine oil cooling radiator in that area on one side and possibly an airbox intake on the other side.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I intentionally planned to use the original intakes to feed the ducts, but they are too close to the wheels and the tubing couldn't be routed to wrap around the wheels to the rotor. I'm leaving the original intake ducts alone. I am considering using it to route an engine oil cooling radiator in that area on one side and possibly an airbox intake on the other side.
Since you now have some excellent custom cooling ducts, ideally the factory openings would be covered over which would reduce drag slightly and give you more front downforce.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #12
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

Quote:
OP; did you remove the blockage on the ducts?

Like hansaysso mentions, the ducts are fairly well centered on the wheel/brake area.
I doubt there is enough space to fab a hose there w/o causing interference.

& I'm not sure how much benefit you would really gain.
InTgr8r, I don't know if you have an interest in better brake cooling? I am considering tracking my Z4M and would like to augment the good brake performance of our stock brakes noted by several trackers, with cooling. Previously I tracked an STi. A guy named Randy Zimmer designs and manufacturers aftermarket Brake cooling for Subaru's and several other car models called RooDucts. He has now developed brake cooling fans he claims work well. Randy was great to work with. I purchased one of his first sets for my model year Subie. The reason I am addressing you, Randy is located in Buffalo, NY. If we had someone close to Buffalo visit Randy, he could quickly evaluate if the Brake cooling fans would fit on our cars.

Just a thought. Let us know what you think.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Brake cooling is definitely in my game plan.
I've been looking at traditional methods, but have to many other projects on the go to get to it yet.

I would certainly consider any alternatives, it's just not in the cards to happen any time soon for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
InTgr8r, I don't know if you have an interest in better brake cooling? I am considering tracking my Z4M and would like to augment the good brake performance of our stock brakes noted by several trackers, with cooling. Previously I tracked an STi. A guy named Randy Zimmer designs and manufacturers aftermarket Brake cooling for Subaru's and several other car models called RooDucts. He has now developed brake cooling fans he claims work well. Randy was great to work with. I purchased one of his first sets for my model year Subie. The reason I am addressing you, Randy is located in Buffalo, NY. If we had someone close to Buffalo visit Randy, he could quickly evaluate if the Brake cooling fans would fit on our cars.

Just a thought. Let us know what you think.
Quote:
Brake cooling is definitely in my game plan.
I've been looking at traditional methods, but have to many other projects on the go to get to it yet.

I would certainly consider any alternatives, it's just not in the cards to happen any time soon for me.

I don't think routing the hoses is the issue. Can't you do it the same way I did with my Aero bumper? Rather than going through the wheel well, go through the splash guard and come back out under the front sway. Then it's just matter of figuring out how to mount the collectors up front.

05-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Yeah, it's definitely doable.
Just have to find some time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

is your back plate mounting the hose to the wheel hub custom or did you find something already available?
What are you referring to when you say "splash guard"?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

The available backing plates do not fit the M without modification.
It's almost easier to fabricate from scratch.

There's more info in this thread.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217400
Appreciate 0