ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Saurav16
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i Vintage 2003

Jacking Up the Z4

Lately I have had some noise coming from the rear axle (or around there when going over bumps or making sharp turns). I wanted to jack up the car to take a look to see if anything was loose there. I got a jack and jack stands but I was wondering whats the best way to jack it up. Do you all drive it up on boards to get enough clearance for your jack to go under? I use the factory jack point but then where should I put the jack stand?

Just wanted to know how any of you jack up the car. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Maldives Blue 2.5i

If you don't plan on removing the wheels from the car, then you could try reversing the rear of the car up a set of ramps. Otherwise, a hydraulic floor jack should be sufficient to use on the rear jack point. Be sure you put chocks on the front wheels to prevent them from rolling. Jack stands can be placed under the rear-side jack points.

From the noise that you are describing, it could possibly be a broken sway bar end link that's rattling when you go over bumps. Have you noticed any degredation in handling lately? Sway bar end links can be a pain to change out -- especially if you still have the stock rear swaybar. Hopefully it's not something serious.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Saurav16
Rep

Thanks for the reply. If I use a hydraulic jack on the rear jack point of say the drivers side where do I put the jack stand as the rubber jack point that is there will be on the jack?

What is the best way to check if the sway bar is broken (isnt' it hidden underneath the exhuast and rear differntial? Thanks again for your reply I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep

Oh ok, i see where you are jacking it up from. I thought you were jacking it up from the very rear of the car. There is a good jack point under the differential, where the two diagonal undercarriage cross beams meet. If you jack from there, you can put jack stands under the sides of the car.

Otherwise, I'm not sure where to put jack stands in your method.

The say bar links are located under the rear control arm and is a piece that looks like this:
(taken from ebay)

You'll notice immediately if it is broken.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
Saurav16
Rep

The problem was a heat shield under the differential which made al ot of noise. The sway bar seems fine. THanks for your help though.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep

Glad it was someting simple

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
GLF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4, 3.0si SILVER

After searching all over for information on where to jack this car up without using the jack points I determined that the pinch seams would be the place to locate the jack. Note the pictures of the jack, the pinch seam is hidden under the overlap of the bottom of the side rails. I just cut some wood blocks to fit inside the jack points for my jack stands. Jacking under the mirrors will lift the complete side so you can place two jacks stands at one time.

Attached Images

03-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Hm never heard of the "pinch seam" or using it as a jack point but thanks for the info. The only way I can do it is use a trolley jack to get one side up a little from the jack points then go from the front/back using a floor jack, damn lowered cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

I used the "pinch seam" to jack up my z4 with the same jack shown on the picture.
The jack cut into the seam and split the plastic in half.

Yes I made sure the Jack was positioned exactly as on the picture.

So I would suggest using a piece of rubber
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Uncle Russ
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Garage List
To avoid having to use two jacks, get a low-profile floor jack, Costco and Harbor Freight have good deals on them. Works wonders! :-)
      07-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

You shouldnt lift from the pinch weld on most cars, dont see why it would be different for this car. It seems pretty clear to me where to lift when I get under the car but I dont have my car with me right now to photograph for you. I usually put it on all 4 stands when I am working on it long term and do that by jacking the rear (at metal beams that meet near diff) and front (there is a little piece you see sticking down you can jack from). This avoids jacking from the pinch seams.

In the meantime, I would remove the small pieces of wood. That is just not safe. Your car's jack pads should rest directly on the jackstands. Those wood blocks could allow the car to "roll" off the jackstands. (just saw how old it was... hope hes still around! lol!)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
You shouldnt lift from the pinch weld on most cars, dont see why it would be different for this car. It seems pretty clear to me where to lift when I get under the car but I dont have my car with me right now to photograph for you. I usually put it on all 4 stands when I am working on it long term and do that by jacking the rear (at metal beams that meet near diff) and front (there is a little piece you see sticking down you can jack from). This avoids jacking from the pinch seams.

In the meantime, I would remove the small pieces of wood. That is just not safe. Your car's jack pads should rest directly on the jackstands. Those wood blocks could allow the car to "roll" off the jackstands. (just saw how old it was... hope hes still around! lol!)

I was trying to lift front but could find suitable support because there are some kind of covers under engine bay. Which little piece at front are you talking?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
crfine88 has a great explanation here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484468
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
boomer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 325iC, F36 430i, F83 M4

Thanks for the link.
      07-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Russ View Post
To avoid having to use two jacks, get a low-profile floor jack, Costco and Harbor Freight have good deals on them. Works wonders! :-)
You can avoid this all together by buying a normal jack and just drive onto 2x4's. I have flat bricks that are 2 inches high and really wide. I have to use them because my old Z4MC and E92 M3 are slammed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZHammer View Post
crfine88 has a great explanation here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484468
Thanks a ton!