ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't often agree with people, but when I do...

THIS.

The only thing I don't necessarily agree with in this article, is the "next bracket" argument. There are people who modify just to modify. There's some really odd enjoyment out of it. I am one of those guys (although not necessarily on cars). I recently bought a late model Lenovo laptop for my wife and started immediately tearing it apart, literally de-atomizing it and putting it back together as a MAC. My friends ask me "why?" My answer is "because I can."

For the amount of time and money I spent into this, I probably could have bought the new MacBook Pro, which has better hardware than the laptop I got. There's no denying that what I am doing makes no sense. But I like it. And I can do it.

Sometimes you ask the people who would take, I dunno, say, an old E36 M3 and turn it into a stripped out speed demon with a turbocharged S65 dropped in, why they do it. It's the same reason. Because they can. And they enjoy it.

Really there's no arguing against that, and from a value perspective, it makes no sense. Heck, if I'm ballah enough I would LOVE to drop a Dinan stroked S65 in my MZ4 Coupe. I think that's the way it's meant to come. Sort of fits within my "tinkerer*" mentality anyway.

* Okay, so this is going to sound weird. I have an 8 year old daughter, which automatically makes me an expert on all things Disney. This is the reason why I know this. Tinker Bell, in Peter Pan, has her own "franchise" from Disney. It is explained that her name is Tinker Bell because in the Disney Fairies mythology, she's a Tinker because she likes to tinker.

I know, really useless and odd bit of knowledge. It's just that, whenever I type or see the word(s) "tinker" and "tinkerer" I think of how Tinker Bell got her name.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Lol , my little girl loves those Tinkerbell movies.. just loves them.. I too, get as much , well nearly as much enjoyment out of modding my car. It's awesome.
      11-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Nice article, thanks for sharing. I'm an engineer by trade, and it was a natural career choice because I also prefer to do things "the hard way." The next bracket argument makes sense from a fiscal and logical POV, but we all know logic goes out the window when it comes to tinkering
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Luckily the next bracket tends to come in $15-20K increments, otherwise I'd really be in a pickle. Used car searching tends to level the playing field too.

OEM+ is my favorite style lately - or at least the owner's interpretation of what the factory might had done better if given no budget. Minimal or subtle aesthetics and mechanical tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Nice article, thanks for sharing. I'm an engineer by trade, and it was a natural career choice because I also prefer to do things "the hard way." The next bracket argument makes sense from a fiscal and logical POV, but we all know logic goes out the window when it comes to tinkering
Yup. Logic and cost/benefit and other financial metrics don't seem to apply as deciding factors for enthusiasts or tinkerers. It's passion, joy, a way to focus/escape.

And totally agree on the S65. If there were a way without nightmare electronics and CARB technical requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

This is really what I took away from it:

"There is no substitute for factory development"

While i've done a few mods here and there, I know i'm not going to make any car incredible by putting a few thousand dollars into it. And if I feel the need to dump a tonne of money into a car, it's probably not the car for me. I love my 3.0 Z but I lust for a Z4 M. So rather than try an make my 3.0 feel as fast as an M, i'm just saving for an M. Plain and simple. Besides it makes more financial sense considering how rare M models hold value. Look at the Ferrari 360 market. If you bought a manual 360 three years ago, you'd probably make money if you sold it today. Drive smart.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Great article.
Appreciate 0