ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

A Good Monday Read

I spotted this article on The Globe and Mail today and I couldn't imagine a better bunch of folks to enjoy it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle32533723/

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 2
Finnegan701.00
inTgr8r2421.50
      10-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Interesting read. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

That is a very sad read, it just solidifies the fact that we all need to buy up as many strait 6 BMWs as we can find :-)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
That is a very sad read, it just solidifies the fact that we all need to buy up as many strait 6 BMWs as we can find :-)

Steve
I felt the same--a sense of loss--but attributed that to other influences on my mood.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

My late friend had the V8 R8 and it played beautiful music! For the price the Z4M ticks all the right boxes-turbo 4s and 25000km oil changes be damned! Interesting and depressing article!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Well if nothing else, it re-affirmed my resolve to NOT EVER sell my 3.0si - unless I replace it with an E85 z4M. Or maybe even try to keep BOTH cars.

Ron - I hope all is well these days!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
This article made me smile and frown. Commenting on the inherent smoothness of the inline 6 makes me smile and brings to mind why I was drawn to BMWs and then this line in the article..."the blat of an air-cooled flat-six careening down a leaf-strewn back road" brings back the memories of what I liked best of the 911S I owned and loved back in the seventies. As a professed lover of the internal combustion engine, thinking of its demise is truly a downer. I realize the whys, but can't seem to find a feature (of the new power sources) that allows me to embrace the alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ahh, but is this not true of all of our enjoyment with cars? Less and less are available with manuals. So many driving assistants and talk of cars that drive themselves. No one really enjoys driving anymore. I think Mazda with their dedication to the Miata may be the only larger auto maker that understands that we exist.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Quote:
Ahh, but is this not true of all of our enjoyment with cars? Less and less are available with manuals. So many driving assistants and talk of cars that drive themselves. No one really enjoys driving anymore. I think Mazda with their dedication to the Miata may be the only larger auto maker that understands that we exist.

Steve
I think that's a good point Steve. And I feel it's a self feeding cycle: more drivers buy cars that numb everything down--> the experience is now boring so they don't enjoy it --> automakers see this and say that people don't like driving anymore so they create more aids/ automatic stuff--> repeat

For me, it's hard to beat a lovely smooth, mechanical engine on a sunny afternoon. You know it's good when you turn down Led Zeppelin to listen to the engine.
-gc
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep

It is really scary, I was driving down a country road and noticed a 16-18 year old in a truck behind me and he was just at the point of tailgating. As I watched him I noticed, he never paid a bit of attention to what he was doing. He was constantly looking for something else to do; driving was just not keeping his attention (phone, radio, something in the passenger seat, phone...)
Maybe this new generation that grew up in the back of a mini-van with SpongeBob playing every second they were riding, has created a bunch of activity starved drivers. It really depresses me the amount of drivers I see glued to their phone, really? You cannot just drive?
As with this latest election, we (the human race) are all doomed.

On a positive note (as I was taught you always have a good thought at the end of an essay )

I drive a BMW Z4 3.0i, it only has 215 hp and it is really good that it does only have that few. She is the awesome color of White with red interior and makes me crazy happy to drive.

Steve

Sounds like a grandpaism: "back in my day we..."
Good thing i am a grandpa.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #11
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

That article was written about a location in my province - been there, seen the plane (nice garden ornament). Thanks for a good read. Hopefully the Canadian government won't follow the German move any time soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
It is really scary, I was driving down a country road and noticed a 16-18 year old in a truck behind me and he was just at the point of tailgating. As I watched him I noticed, he never paid a bit of attention to what he was doing. He was constantly looking for something else to do; driving was just not keeping his attention (phone, radio, something in the passenger seat, phone...)
Maybe this new generation that grew up in the back of a mini-van with SpongeBob playing every second they were riding, has created a bunch of activity starved drivers. It really depresses me the amount of drivers I see glued to their phone, really? You cannot just drive?
As with this latest election, we (the human race) are all doomed.

On a positive note (as I was taught you always have a good thought at the end of an essay )

I drive a BMW Z4 3.0i, it only has 215 hp and it is really good that it does only have that few. She is the awesome color of White with red interior and makes me crazy happy to drive.

Steve

Sounds like a grandpaism: "back in my day we..."
Good thing i am a grandpa.
Not to get political here, but you brought it up... So we all cry over the apparent demise of the internal combustion engine and at the same time some of us say the human race is doomed because of the election of Donald Trump as President. I find these thoughts a bit oxymoronic since Mr. Trump's energy policy is to resurrect the coal industry, up-level the US gas and oil industry, and has stated he doesn't believe in the global warming hype (which basically bans the burning of carbon-based fuel). All of these things are completely anti and opposite of the Left-wing energy agenda of renewable and "sustainable" energy. The Liberal thought process which has 1) driven the auto industry to abandon the normally-aspirated internal combustion engine, 2) driven the auto industry to downsize engine displacement, which has lead to a plethora of turbo 4-cylinder 2.0L engines, 3) resolution of the German Parliament to ban the internal combustion engine essentially by the year 2030, and 4) eventually will kill the beautiful BMW in-line 6.

Donald Trump is our best hope for saving the internal combustion engine that we all so love and admire. (My good thought for my essay).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-26-2016 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not to get political here, but you brought it up... So we all cry over the apparent demise of the internal combustion engine and at the same time say some of us say the human race is doomed because of the election of Donald Trump as President. I find these thoughts a bit ironic since Mr. Trump's energy policy is to resurrect the coal industry, up-level the US gas and oil industry, and has stated he doesn't believe in the global warming hype (which basically bans the burning of carbon-based fuel). All of these things are completely anti and opposite of the Left-wing energy agenda of renewable and "sustainable" energy. The Liberal thought process which has 1) driven the auto industry to abandon the normally-aspirated internal combustion engine, 2) driven the auto industry to downsize engine displacement, which has lead to a plethora of turbo 4-cylinder 2.0L engines, 3) resolution of the German Parliament to ban the internal combustion engine essentially by the year 2030, and 4) eventually will kill the beautiful BMW in-line 6.

Donald Trump is our best hope for saving the internal combustion engine that we all so love and admire. (My good thought for my essay).
Well said....
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Well if nothing else, it re-affirmed my resolve to NOT EVER sell my 3.0si - unless I replace it with an E85 z4M. Or maybe even try to keep BOTH cars.

Ron - I hope all is well these days!!
It is, finally getting back on top of things. Can't say I check in every day over here though! Too many projects and not enough time!

On the topics noted in this thread--all I keep thinking of is the law of unintended consequences resulting from any decision.

Well that and how much ***I*** love driving and how it clears my mind and makes me happy in ways nothing else does. There's a joy and happiness to it for me that comes from the focus required. And focus on a task is something so much of modern life seems hell bent on making impossible. Never ending interruptions and distractions that compete for attention--actual driving gets me away from that. The track even more so.

Edit: At least I found one electric car I might be able to drive...but not afford!

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-26-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not to get political here, but you brought it up... So we all cry over the apparent demise of the internal combustion engine and at the same time some of us say the human race is doomed because of the election of Donald Trump as President. I find these thoughts a bit oxymoronic since Mr. Trump's energy policy is to resurrect the coal industry, up-level the US gas and oil industry, and has stated he doesn't believe in the global warming hype (which basically bans the burning of carbon-based fuel). All of these things are completely anti and opposite of the Left-wing energy agenda of renewable and "sustainable" energy. The Liberal thought process which has 1) driven the auto industry to abandon the normally-aspirated internal combustion engine, 2) driven the auto industry to downsize engine displacement, which has lead to a plethora of turbo 4-cylinder 2.0L engines, 3) resolution of the German Parliament to ban the internal combustion engine essentially by the year 2030, and 4) eventually will kill the beautiful BMW in-line 6.

I posted that on 11/3, before the election. I have no issues with Donald or Hillary, I really just want to be able to do what I enjoy. I like to drive, vacation, shoot, drive my RZR, mountain bike, ski, kayak, drink, work and save for retirement. As long as I can do these things, the president really does not impact my life. I know it does, but really the reaction of the left is surreal.
My second amendment rights are the biggest issue I have with any candidate. Heck for that matter all of my amendment rights!
I like cheap fuel, but also understand that it is a limited resource.

Really when it all comes down to it, I just want to be king of the USA and kick everyone off of my roads so I can drive and drive

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I posted that on 11/3, before the election. I have no issues with Donald or Hillary, I really just want to be able to do what I enjoy. I like to drive, vacation, shoot, drive my RZR, mountain bike, ski, kayak, drink, work and save for retirement. As long as I can do these things, the president really does not impact my life. I know it does, but really the reaction of the left is surreal.
My second amendment rights are the biggest issue I have with any candidate. Heck for that matter all of my amendment rights!
I like cheap fuel, but also understand that it is a limited resource.

Really when it all comes down to it, I just want to be king of the USA and kick everyone off of my roads so I can drive and drive

Steve
It's called the "Bill of Rights".
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-29-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0