ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Working With Carver Subs.....

I took out the subs and mounting plates behind the seats to see if there is anything I could do to improve the sound or eliminate some rattling..

Would pulling out the foam baffles in the enclosures and replacing with Dynamat Extreme produce better sound from subs? What about possibly adding Dynamat and putting back the foam also? I also noticed, in the enclosure, there is a top port with a rubber grommet.. Is it necessary for our subs to be ported or could I seal that off?? Anyway, I am just trying to gather some information on how to get the best sound out of our Carver systems... Any audiophiles out there?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Give up on the OEM subs. They are a lost cause. If you're after a better bottom end go the LOC convertor out of the OEM amp (assuming Top Hifi system) into a new amp to new subs...route.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
If you keep them, I would do what I did................. pull the rubber out and deaden the entire panel and the front baffle next to the driver, dynamat or other similar product ......... then put the rubber back in. Set your fader +3 to the front (takes out some of the excess boom in the Carver subs). Drop the 80hz EQ band down one notch (-1), and the 200hz band -4. I have the BSW stage one upgrade, and the remainder of my EQ is 500hz -1, 1,000hz flat (0), 2,000hz flat(0) , 5,000hz -3 (if you have the OEM tweeters leave this flat), and 12,000hz flat (0) ......... or +1 for OEM tweets.

John
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies.. I will let you know what I do and how it turns out...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Alright guys... There is a problem... It reminds me of my old high school booming days in the early 90s.. It is like a polarity wiring issue.. If I have both subs hooked up the whole audio system is really weak.. If I have no subs hooked up, the system is clear and pretty good.. If I have one sub hooked up and the other installed, (but unhooked) the system is clear with some good bass... As soon as I hook both subs up, the system sounds like an old paper cone AM radio and no bass.... I am unsure of the wiring diagram, but my thinking is that one of the wires that run from the DSP amp is reversed in polarity.. From what I remember in high school, if you screw up the positive and negative wires, you would have this effect.. Before I start cutting and splicing I wanted to post this to see if anyone has any input...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeavNC View Post
Alright guys... There is a problem... It reminds me of my old high school booming days in the early 90s.. It is like a polarity wiring issue.. If I have both subs hooked up the whole audio system is really weak.. If I have no subs hooked up, the system is clear and pretty good.. If I have one sub hooked up and the other installed, (but unhooked) the system is clear with some good bass... As soon as I hook both subs up, the system sounds like an old paper cone AM radio and no bass.... I am unsure of the wiring diagram, but my thinking is that one of the wires that run from the DSP amp is reversed in polarity.. From what I remember in high school, if you screw up the positive and negative wires, you would have this effect.. Before I start cutting and splicing I wanted to post this to see if anyone has any input...
Yep, out of phase will cancel out bass big time ................ something is reversed
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Yep, out of phase will cancel out bass big time ................ something is reversed
Yep,... trying to figure out where to start... Any ideas? I know that the battery was replaced about a week before I bought it... Does the amplifier connect directly to the battery? Is there something I should look for on the positive connector of the battery?

Last edited by MHeavNC; 11-18-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

I'm a little confused. Did it sound this way before you rolled up your sleeves and disconnected the subs?

You can find the amplifier pinouts on Bill's web space writeup on his subwoofer installation http://www.billswebspace.com/A18%20Amplifier.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
I'm a little confused. Did it sound this way before you rolled up your sleeves and disconnected the subs?

You can find the amplifier pinouts on Bill's web space writeup on his subwoofer installation http://www.billswebspace.com/A18%20Amplifier.htm

I have the same top hi fi system in my wifes 3.0i Roadster and it rocks compared to my M Coupe.. The only difference is the M has Nav.. The system has sounded awful since I had the car (2 weeks).. At first I thought that it may just be a rattling issue or blown rear speakers.. I checked all subs by removing them and switching them out with the roadster... Roadster still rocks while Coupe is still sucking...... So the subs are fine... I then unhooked both subs in the Coupe and noticed that the audio came to life a little with the remaining 8 speakers... Plugging the subs back up makes everything sound bad / weak... So now I am down to the amp, fuses, and wiring.. I have a feeling that the problem is the amp.... Thanks for the link.. It may come in handy later today..

Last edited by MHeavNC; 11-19-2011 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have the same top hi fi system in my wifes 3.0i Roadster and it rocks compared to my M Coupe.. The only difference is the M has Nav.. The system has sounded awful since I had the car (2 weeks).. At first I thought that it may just be a rattling issue or blown rear speakers.. I checked all subs by removing them and switching them out with the roadster... Roadster still rocks while Coupe is still sucking...... So the subs are fine... I then unhooked both subs in the Coupe and noticed that the audio came to life a little with the remaining 8 speakers... Plugging the subs back up makes everything sound bad / weak... So now I am down to the amp, fuses, and wiring.. I have a feeling that the problem is the amp.... Thanks for the link.. It may come in handy later today..
This is not meant to be condescending, but you mentioned you have Nav. Have you looked at the settings for your DSP? I posted some EQ settings in another post in this section. You might have some strange EQ setting going on, or a weird setting on the tone and fader controls.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
This is not meant to be condescending, but you mentioned you have Nav. Have you looked at the settings for your DSP? I posted some EQ settings in another post in this section. You might have some strange EQ setting going on, or a weird setting on the tone and fader controls.
I have already went through all settings and they are fine.. Fader, balance, DSP, bass, treble, EQ.. They all work too... Nothing seems amiss with the functions of the radio/nav.. I have read where these amps do have some problems.. Something weird is going on because through all my reading, many people say that it sounds good and others say it is absolutely horrible... From my experience, being in half a dozen of these cars with top hi fi, if it is right it sounds pretty good... I have heard a coupe that sounds great and another (mine) that sounds terrible... If I find out that the wiring is wrong causing the system to be out of phase,... I will post my findings in a different thread.. As of right now, it seems that my subs don't get enough power to operate properly.. I have them currently unhooked and I am trying to just enjoy sound of the S54...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
tdz
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Let us know how it works out. It doesn't make much sense that someone took the time to switch the wires and connectors. I have been having trouble getting clear sound from my Carvers for awhile now. I have tried everything but replacing the amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Give up on the OEM subs. They are a lost cause. If you're after a better bottom end go the LOC convertor out of the OEM amp (assuming Top Hifi system) into a new amp to new subs...route.
I am about ready to give up on them.. I guess I am going to try and accept the fact that my roadster's system sounds great and my Coupe sounds good under the hood... I am just going to dynamat a few things and go with it...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
elerner61
Major
Rep

I think it's the BMW amp. From everything I've read, I'm pretty sure the sub. portion of my amp is done. It hasn't affected the rest of the system when the subs are connected (as it sounds like yours has), but before and during the installation of my JBL MS-8 when I was able to isolate the subs while the HU was faded to the front, the output from the subs was very minimal.

How much $$ are you willing to throw at the system to make it sound better?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Not sure what I would spend.. If I could just get it to sound like my wife's roadster,.... I would be happy.. I told her I was going to steal the amp out of her car... Lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Something is totally fubard with the amp or wiring... Here is an updated list of symptoms.. BTW I know that the subs are fine because I have both my subs currently installed in my wife's roadster and her system still rocks!! (I have to call it her roadster now)

1. When only passenger sub is hooked up, system sounds pretty good.
2. When only driver side sub is hooked up, system sounds terrible.
3. When both are hooked up, system sounds a tad better, but still horrible..
4. When neither sub is hooked up, system sounds OK, lacking bass..

Then it gets good... Both subs are hooked up for these playing Starstruck by Lady Gaga... (Wifes CD)

5. When I fade to all the way to front, system sounds ok..
6. Fade to the back is horrid.. (however, it sounds awful in my wife's roadster too) This is fine because my wife's rockin' system does the same thing..
7. Moving balance to the right, sound is ok with some bass.
8. Moving balance to the left is brutal,.... that driver side sub kills it!!
9. With everything centered I noticed that the drivers side sub flutters like a butterfly compared to the passenger sub.. The passenger side sub moves more like my wife's roadster. (tight and precise)

So all in all, the only way I can stand it is to have the driver sub disconnected, and the passenger sub connected..

In conclusion, I know that all the speakers are fine.. Could the amp do this? Could there be a firmware problem? Could a fuse be blown somewhere?

My guess is the problem lies with the amplifier...

Last edited by MHeavNC; 12-01-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
tdz
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I finally fixed my problems with the Carver subs. I found a used amp on eBay and swapped mine out. It fixed the problem immediately. I am guessing that the channel for the subs was blown.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz View Post
I finally fixed my problems with the Carver subs. I found a used amp on eBay and swapped mine out. It fixed the problem immediately. I am guessing that the channel for the subs was blown.
I put my wife's amp in my Coupe and the system came to life!! Sounded really good... Only thing is that although we have the same part number, (65129125751), her amp was coded for a non Navi system.. The only thing that I found that wouldn't work was my 7 band EQ.. Learned a little about coding here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/204027 .. Apparently, amps can be coded for Navi and non Navi cars even though they are the same part #.. Dealer confirmed this... I am just happy I now know what the problem is.. Thanks for everyones input..

Last edited by MHeavNC; 12-18-2011 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I put my wife's amp in my Coupe and the system came to life!! Sounded really good... Only thing is that although we have the same part number, (65129125751), her amp was coded for a non Navi system.. The only thing that I found that wouldn't work was my 7 band EQ.. Learned a little about coding here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/204027 .. Apparently, amps can be coded for Navi and non Navi cars even though they are the same part #.. Dealer confirmed this... I am just happy I now know what the problem is.. Thanks for everyones input..
I assume you will be getting a new amp under warranty since your coupe is an 08? you don't want to pay for a new one for sure($1200).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I assume you will be getting a new amp under warranty since your coupe is an 08? you don't want to pay for a new one for sure($1200).
Looks that way.. They put in the order for my new amp today.. Since the amp was working,..... (but not working properly) I thought they may try and give me the run around... It will be an updated part number (65129138102) and I will let you guys know how it turns out... The one being replaced is part number (65129125751)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #21
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
After reading this, I too am wondering if I have the same problem many of you described with a bad amp. Great thread btw, tons of useful info here especially to a newbie owner like myself. You folks know your stuff.

First I am still trying to make sure I have the premium hifi sound since the cars sound isn't amazing as it is now. Car does have 10 speakers including subs behind the seat (if you could call them subs), business CD in the dash and has 3 or 4 preset (concert, jazz, etc) eq settings. Car has premium package, but no Nav. Thoughts?

Overall everything sounds good and clear, except the low range, which sounds the same as described above - fluttery and kinda blown out. Not that it needs to sound perfect, but I might benefit from an amp swap too, while under warranty, and need to figure that out sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #22
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrinks View Post
After reading this, I too am wondering if I have the same problem many of you described with a bad amp. Great thread btw, tons of useful info here especially to a newbie owner like myself. You folks know your stuff.

First I am still trying to make sure I have the premium hifi sound since the cars sound isn't amazing as it is now. Car does have 10 speakers including subs behind the seat (if you could call them subs), business CD in the dash and has 3 or 4 preset (concert, jazz, etc) eq settings. Car has premium package, but no Nav. Thoughts?

Overall everything sounds good and clear, except the low range, which sounds the same as described above - fluttery and kinda blown out. Not that it needs to sound perfect, but I might benefit from an amp swap too, while under warranty, and need to figure that out sooner than later.
From the work I did in my car with a test CD (frequency test tones) and db meter (poor mans spectrum analyzer ), it was obvious the lower frequencies were too hot, and there was a resonance bump at 200hz. I have 80hz lowered by 2 clicks on the 7 band EQ, and 200hz lowered by 4 clicks. I also shifted the fader 1 click towards the front. I almost went with 3 down at 80hz, but that was a little much. 500hz is down one click also. These measurements are with the BSW stage one upgrades BTW. Since you don't have the Nav, you are lacking the option to customize the 7 band EQ. Try moving your fader towards the front and take some of the sub boom out of the car, might help.

John
Appreciate 0