ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Question Is a SMG to a conventional 6speed manual swap possible?

Hey guys, I know this is a total shot in the dark, and Im sure people are going to say: Sell your Z4 (with SMG) and buy a conventional 6speed car. Before I seriously look into that, is swapping the SMG for a typical 6speed manual possible?

I know there is a boat load of wiring and sensors that the SMG has the any typical 6 speed wouldn't have, but what is the wiring loom differences and the like?

My SMG tranny is really starting to act up, more and more as I rack up the kilometers, and I really dont want a bunch of (four $ figure sized) repair bills in the near future. Frankly since I dont have any plans on selling this car I'd much rather have something bullet proof & reliable then a myrad of sensors and do-ahickies that are on the verge of failing at any moment.
      08-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
tofu4
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

It should be possible. I seen some one do a regular automatic to Manual in an e46. After the physical change over, I think you will also need your dme program so it doesnt look for the SMG parts anymore. try search the 46 forums for more info.
Appreciate 0