ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I know this is wrong place but I need your help

Hello everyone, My wife currently owns a 2008 Mazda3 2.3L.

Because I have bad experience with mechanics Mazda and BMW - I decided to change all my fluids myself from now on.

Yesterday I went to change the oil in the mazda and I noticed a nasty black spot under the engine/transmission. Then I looked closer and it appears that something is broken or missing..... can you take a look at the pics below and let me know what this means....

The car only has 26k on it and so far the car runs fine.... but I'm sure that hole is not supposed to be there.

Many thanks to all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

don't know about a mazda...

but on many cars that hole is simply an inspection hole for mechanics to see what's going on in the flywheel / tq convertor / clutch area to check for leaks at the rear main seal. by my logic (take it or leave it), since there is clearly oil coming from the inspection hole... the rear main is leaking... or in the case of an automatic trans, the trans front pump is leaking... or both.

this type of issue is quite common with mercedes-benz, so it's not too far of a leap to consider it happening to a mazda.

others chime in if i'm way wrong.
      02-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info V3.... I appreciate it.

I guess I need to bring it in AGAIN after two recalls in 2011.

Anyhow... thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Looks like motor oil to me. Probably rear main. UGH
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Googled a bit cause I'm bored. Looks like there has been issues with leaks between motor and tranny ,caused by bad seal on the oil pan gasket. Could be a possibility.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Googled a bit cause I'm bored. Looks like there has been issues with leaks between motor and tranny ,caused by bad seal on the oil pan gasket. Could be a possibility.
@ the 2 min interval

i was going to do the same thing until i saw this. now that you've done the work, i'll go back to being lazy.
      02-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
As v3.0si said, that hole is quite likely just an inspection/access hole. It's too perfect a cut. As far as the fluid stain, could that not just be residual from a sloppy overfill/drain during a fluid change?

Rus
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.0si View Post
don't know about a mazda...

but on many cars that hole is simply an inspection hole for mechanics to see what's going on in the flywheel / tq convertor / clutch area to check for leaks at the rear main seal. by my logic (take it or leave it), since there is clearly oil coming from the inspection hole... the rear main is leaking... or in the case of an automatic trans, the trans front pump is leaking... or both.

this type of issue is quite common with mercedes-benz, so it's not too far of a leap to consider it happening to a mazda.

others chime in if i'm way wrong.
I'll bet that, if you turn the engine over by hand, sooner or later you are going to find some timing marks on the flywheel...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I am going to say its nothing. The oil surrounds the hole and is usually blown back. Need more pictures, but if the oil was coming or anything to do with the hole, it would not look like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
0330iZ4
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

First and second pictures show oil dripping closer to the drivers side/far side, fourth pictures shows the second leak location also.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hello everyone and thanks for replying.

I ended up bring the car in today to have it checked.

The tech brought me in while the car was up in the lift, he feels or tried to convince me that there was a leak from the engine filter area and some how the oil ended up where the spot is.... bunch of krap! if that was the case the entire bottom of the engine and trans.... would be oily and dirty.

I'm going to check every weekend and make sure I don't see any more oil stains under the engine.

So far - it looks like it's a normal Mazda thing to have that hole there, but I'm not 100% sold.... that oil mark did not get there from the filter shown on the last pic.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0