ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Lemonier1
Rep
Drives: Silver 2003 BMW Z4 Sports

2003 BMW Z4 2.5 Sport/Premium advice needed

I am about to purchase a silver 2003 BMW Z4 2.5 w/ sport and premium package it has 80000k on the clock it has been garaged and BMW serviced seems to be in perfect condition I am paying 12k I see pricing on Kelly at 14K and on Edmonds at 10K My question is this a good buy, all things considered. I am purchasing it for a weekend ride. any advice or warnings appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

You didn't say whether it was an automatic or manual. Automatics are always a little bit more of a crapshoot since back when the car was new, BMW was advocating LIFETIME/no maintenance automatic transmissions. This shortened the life of most automatics. If it's a manual, should be fine as long as the cooling system has been maintained with water pump and t-stat change at a minimum. If not, this would be the first service I'd do with a car of this year/mileage.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Is this being sold by a dealer or private seller? That'll influence the price. If it's being sold by an individual, pay the $100 or so to have an independent shop check it out. Auto or Manual? What's the condition of the tires? When were the brake pads/rotors replaced?

KBB is always a bit high, so don't consider that actual market value.
      02-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Lemonier1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Is this being sold by a dealer or private seller? That'll influence the price. If it's being sold by an individual, pay the $100 or so to have an independent shop check it out. Auto or Manual? What's the condition of the tires? When were the brake pads/rotors replaced?

KBB is always a bit high, so don't consider that actual market value.
Thanks for the feed back I am buying it from a family member and they are having it serviced before i get it (oil tires Rotated etc.) They said the oil change was $200 at the same BMW dealer where they purchased it and have had it serviced I'm guessing at that price there is some other service involved. They mentioned having the hydyrolics flushed recently, i have never heard of doing that so i am assuming they were very thourough I will check on the brakes and rotors it is a 5 speed manual tranny. So the $12k sounds in line ?? Any other insight will be helpful. I am excited it is my first BMW, first convertible so i am looking forward to fun driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Lemonier1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
You didn't say whether it was an automatic or manual. Automatics are always a little bit more of a crapshoot since back when the car was new, BMW was advocating LIFETIME/no maintenance automatic transmissions. This shortened the life of most automatics. If it's a manual, should be fine as long as the cooling system has been maintained with water pump and t-stat change at a minimum. If not, this would be the first service I'd do with a car of this year/mileage.
Thanks for the feed back I am buying it from a family member and they are having it serviced before i get it (oil tires Rotated etc.) They said the oil change was $200 at the same BMW dealer where they purchased it and have had it serviced I'm guessing at that price there is some other service involved. They mentioned having the hydyrolics flushed recently, i have never heard of doing that so i am assuming they were very thourough I will check on the brakes and rotors it is a 5 speed manual tranny. So the $12k sounds in line ?? Any other insight will be helpful. I am excited it is my first BMW, first convertible so i am looking forward to fun driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

I bought my 2.5 auto z4 with 84k for 9800 and all I had to do was change out the LCAB, CVV, and spark plugs/gasket cover and it's great now. The market is kind of jacked up and there weren't much for sale when I was looking but in the houston area, 10k for a 80-100k miles is about right.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Lemonier1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
I bought my 2.5 auto z4 with 84k for 9800 and all I had to do was change out the LCAB, CVV, and spark plugs/gasket cover and it's great now. The market is kind of jacked up and there weren't much for sale when I was looking but in the houston area, 10k for a 80-100k miles is about right.
Thank you for your advice sounds like i'm paying 2k higher than i should but there is the whole garaged condition factor and the regular BMW service as well as a complete service and maintance being performed before i get it. Don't know if that adds up to $2k but i'm guessing not.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonier1 View Post
That is high for an oil change. My dealer charges $130 but its only once a year. I changed the oil on all previous cars I've owned every three months (based on the old three thousand mile/three month rule) regardless of mileage at about 35 bucks a pop, so i was spending about that much a year anyway.
Also, I believe the drive belt should be changed around 60k or so.

Good luck with the car and remember, being seen driving it is almost as fun as driving it.

Last edited by WAMz4; 02-19-2012 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

WAMZ4, noticed your license plate. Are you a Deep Purple fan?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Yes actually, But I also think the car is a Highway Star.
      02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonier1 View Post
Thank you for your advice sounds like i'm paying 2k higher than i should but there is the whole garaged condition factor and the regular BMW service as well as a complete service and maintance being performed before i get it. Don't know if that adds up to $2k but i'm guessing not.
After inspection, my car looked well maintain but dirt have the papers to back it. 2k worth? Probably not. I spend maybe 2-300 at most after I got it
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Yes actually, But I also think the car is a Highway Star.
Cool. I used to manage Glenn Hughes from Purple. Always a fan of the song and, obviously, the Z4, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Lemonier1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
After inspection, my car looked well maintain but dirt have the papers to back it. 2k worth? Probably not. I spend maybe 2-300 at most after I got it
I have looked around the web and don't really see much in the lower price range that i see quoted on Edmonds TMV. The best i see looks like around 11,999 so i'm figuring the known quantity is better if i am going to pay a premium price.
Thanks for your advice
Appreciate 0