ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #89
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I haven't done the add-a-fuse install but while it's simpler(don't need to tap into any wires), I'd imagine it's more work.

The dome light install was very quick. For the add-a-fuse install, you have to run the wires all the way up to the V1, right? That means removing A-Pillar and other stuff to hide the wires?
I run a remote display in place of my ashtray with the v1 hardwired from the dome light, and running the wires was easy. The roadster has plastic pillars and windshield surround. You can pop them off and back on with two screws on either side.
      05-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #90
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
I run a remote display in place of my ashtray with the v1 hardwired from the dome light, and running the wires was easy. The roadster has plastic pillars and windshield surround. You can pop them off and back on with two screws on either side.
Best of both worlds.

Any pics of the remote display?

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #91
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Best of both worlds.

Any pics of the remote display?

And here's the v1 plus my fasttrak

Last edited by gcochard; 05-09-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #92
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't done the add-a-fuse install but while it's simpler(don't need to tap into any wires), I'd imagine it's more work.

The dome light install was very quick. For the add-a-fuse install, you have to run the wires all the way up to the V1, right? That means removing A-Pillar and other stuff to hide the wires?

No removal of pillars necessary, wires can be tucked in. I personally don't like wire taps - all personal preference.

Never thought remote display was worth it. I don't want to have to look down or away from the windshield, especially if the radar's already mounted up there anyway.
      05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #93
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Be sure to use the add-a-fuse, much simpler install and just as clean as tapping the domelight.
Yeah this route ^ is the plan....

Just finished reading the manual (yes go ahead and make fun of that), I'm already impressed and I havent even turned the thing on yet. the manual was extremely educational about enforcement 'trapping' techniques in general... this should be good fun to have in the car.
      05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #94
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
No removal of pillars necessary, wires can be tucked in. I personally don't like wire taps - all personal preference.

Never thought remote display was worth it. I don't want to have to look down or away from the windshield, especially if the radar's already mounted up there anyway.
I have the remote display mostly as a remote mute button, it gets annoying trying to mute the thing while driving.

I pulled the pillars because i wanted to be sure the wires weren't going to become untucked. It was also easier to route it into the dash that way.
      05-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #95
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
I have the remote display mostly as a remote mute button, it gets annoying trying to mute the thing while driving.

I pulled the pillars because i wanted to be sure the wires weren't going to become untucked. It was also easier to route it into the dash that way.
I agree, having the mute button within closer reach is preferable but that would still require me to look down to see the indicators. Between ease of the mute button and having to look down vs keeping eyes up and reaching for the radar to mute, prefer the latter. Like I said, all personal preference. Not a big deal =)
      05-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #96
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

When I had my V1 in the roadster I mounted the remote display on the top left of the steering column, just under the guages. I pulled the trim piece off the dash, ran the wire out beside the edge of the trim and pushed the trim back on so there was virtually no wire showing. A little Velcro kept it in place. This kept the display right in front of me as well as the mute button.
For the mount, I fabricated on using a piece of 16" metal available at Home Depot/Lowes. I cut an "L" shaped bracket about 5" long and about 3" wide at the bottom of the "L". I then attached the V1 and now my Passport mount to the "L" part.
At the top of the "L" I formed it to fit the contour of the top of the windshield to where the passenger side visor mounts. I pulled the visor mount off and screwed the V1 mount into that flat spot, then put the visor back on (the visor mount screw also secured the V1 mount). If you look real closely you can tell that the visor mount sits low the 1/16" thickness of the V1 mount, but you really have to know what to look for to see it.
Now the detector sits just to the right of the rear view mirror out of my line of site. When I switched to the Passport 9500ix I put the remote mute button in my ash tray along with the control for the ZR4 Laser Interceptor. I found that I really didn't miss the arrows much even though they are a very nice feature of the V1.
Here are some pics - sorry for the quality, I had to use my iphone.

Last edited by jrich4411; 05-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: adding pics
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #97
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Install complete, used the dome light tap method. Very discreet, cant even see it from the outside of the car when using the visor mount.

FYI the video posted in this thread on post #1 labeled "2005 bmw z4 radar detector install" references a blue and red wire that runs to the middle of the map light male adapter. That wire worked for that guy in the video, but it did not work for me. Granted I have an 08, not an 05, but it prob shoulda worked. And I stripped it right down to the bare wire too.

Went back and tapped into the harder to reach purple and white wire as mentioned in other threads and that worked like a charm.