ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #45
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Friend has the 1M, and with afterburners engaged there's no way to keep up in a stock Z4M. It just walks the Z4M. It's really quite a car. And it as pointed out, it has RWD, MT, and a high-performance engine. Not high revving, but with newer turbo technology and the overboost, one can argue that the current BMW turbo motors are state of the art. (My thinking on that has really changed over the past 3 years. High revving was a better performance alternative to lag ridden boosted engines at one time, it's not that clear-cut anymore.) FI at altitude is kind of a no brainer IMO. NA just looses too much at higher altitudes.

In many ways it's a parts-bin special like the Z4M--which has an E36 M3 front suspension, E46 rear, and E46 M3 engine. The E9x M3 has a great suspension, and the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight of the 135 chassis actually bring out its potential more than the E9x M3 can--it's livelier and more fun. And as much as I hate to admit it, torque is addicting. Boost lag? Meh. Nothing like, say, an STI or something of that ilk.

If I didn't already have the Z4M (plus mods) and hadn't switched cars too often in the past several years, I'd be all over the 1M. It's not the looker that the Z4M is, but it's really quirky and that means for some weird reason I like it because of that. In fact, outside of the GT3 (which isn't even a consideration due to $$$) it's the only car my wife would okay a trade for the Z4M on. (Like I said, a bit too many cars.) Simply because it means she'd be able to take the keys and drive it! It's the only thing outside the Z4M that she likes on the road today.
you're not allowed to chime in!! your wife will STILL have a Z4MC you can ogle!!

Seriously though, i heard somewhere that they were producing the 1M under the badging of 135M or some such thing. Sure it wouldnt have the pure 1M title, but at the same time its not really an M to the people who would care about those things anyhow.

Hack said it best, if it was me i wouldn't do it. If it was someone else, what are you crazy? do it.

Its just one of those cars (z4m that is)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #46
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
you're not allowed to chime in!! your wife will STILL have a Z4MC you can ogle!!
I hadn't thought of that....hmmm. No, I'm sticking with the Z4M! The 1M is tempting, but I have an irrational emotional attachment to my car. Yes, it's weird, but it's true. Never had that with anything else I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicobmw View Post
I know this is a z4m forum and i am really in love with mine, but I have given the opportunity to trade my z4m for a 2011 1m coupe.+ around 16k.
I have been debating the idea due to 3 main reasons, 1 space: 2 vs 4 seats, secondly its a 2011 vs 2007 model I fear down the road problems of the older model even though my z4m has only 7,500 km and the 135i I had suffered hpfp problems. and lastly I was planning on supercharging my z4m which with install, etc would run me about 11k. therefore the difference would be aprox the same to upgrading and the 1m with a flash/exhaust and fmic will the 1m be as fast as the sc 1m?. (sc stage 1) dont want to go stage 3 in order to avoid problems.

therefore I would like to hear your honest opinion about this and also impressions if you have driven both. (the 135i at mexicos altitude was actually quite faster than the z4m but the driving of both could not be compared).

regards

diego
The folks sitting in the back seat better be small children or adults with no legs...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #48
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

To steal a Planet of the Apes line: "But it's so damn ugly"

I debated between a 1/1M and the Z before settling on the Z. If you must have the extra power and can get past the looks then the 1M would get my nod. I couldn't get past the proportions (looks too much like a baby shoe) of the 1, even with the added "hotness" from the M package.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #49
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think the m1 is truely a unique car because no one makes such a small familycar in such a hardcore package. But it won't be remenbered by it's engine though; like the z4m or e46 m3 will be.
Are you serious?

I know you meant to say the 1M. Do NOT ever call the 1M the M1. THIS is the M1.

This is the engine that came in the M1.

This is the engine that every great BMW inline 6 has ever been built aspire to be. This engine spawned the greatest road going inline 4 ever built in the history of man kind. It is the soul and embodiment of everything that BMW used to stand for. Notice the individual throttle bodies, 4 valves with solid lifters per cylinder, and the individual exhaust manifold. This was the S54 30 years before the S54 began production.

Do not EVER confuse the mighty M1 with the 1M. [/rant]
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #50
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]

easy there, sensei... you'll scare the women and children!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #51
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Yes, typo.
I know what the m1 is; a lamborghini project which came too late
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #52
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I hadn't thought of that....hmmm. No, I'm sticking with the Z4M! The 1M is tempting, but I have an irrational emotional attachment to my car. Yes, it's weird, but it's true. Never had that with anything else I've driven.
Me too, and mine isn't even an M. At the risk of sounding like Tim the Tool Man Taylor on a "More Power Ruh Ruh" rant, I particularly notice it with DSC OFF, Sport ON, and I stomp the pedal from a dead stop. The roar of the engine makes me feel like me and the car are screaming "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!" at the same time.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #53
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post

easy there, sensei... you'll scare the women and children!
LOL!! And to chime in with another pop culture reference, as Crocodile Dundee would probably say, "That's not a knife. THIS - is a knife!"

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #54
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Are you serious?

I know you meant to say the 1M. Do NOT ever call the 1M the M1. THIS is the M1.

This is the engine that came in the M1.

This is the engine that every great BMW inline 6 has ever been built aspire to be. This engine spawned the greatest road going inline 4 ever built in the history of man kind. It is the soul and embodiment of everything that BMW used to stand for. Notice the individual throttle bodies, 4 valves with solid lifters per cylinder, and the individual exhaust manifold. This was the S54 30 years before the S54 began production.

Do not EVER confuse the mighty M1 with the 1M. [/rant]
Thanks for this! This is exactly what was going through my mind when I first read that post.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #55
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I thought it's a good idea to revisit this question now that more have a chance to drive the 1 M. Personally, I'd stay with the Z4 M.
      12-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #56
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Still have the opportunity to trade a Z4M plus $16k for a 1M? DO IT!!! It's strange how some cars just hold their value better than others; not that the Z4M didn't hold its value pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #57
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's a conundrum you have.

The E86 M Coupe is rare, as 1,815 built. But the guy or girl that gets one is a different breed. They see things in a different way.

That car and it's twin, the E85 M Roadster are the last raw, manual only, unruly, hydraulic steering, bare-bones, throwback naturally-aspirated inline 6-cylinder conceived, engineered and built by BMW M GmbH, ever.

The E82 1M is the jumping-off point for the new M car. But they used the 135i + M parts. It's a little "thug" and to me, the cartoonish fender flares to fit the E92 M3 wheels and diff are worth it.

They imported 740 1M's to the U.S. so even less than the E86 M Coupe.

Both are great cars for different reasons so you can't really go wrong here.

That 1M is hilarious which it's supposed to be.

I'll put it like this, my client ordered and still has his 997.2 Turbo. I found him an E82 1M after he didn't listen to me for 18 months prior to it hitting the market.

He drives the 1M more than his beloved Porsche Turbo! He says it's an absolute blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #58
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post

Yes - but there are a gadzillion 1-series coupes around that look almost identical to the 1M ... basically, it looks pretty much like just any other 1 series coupe, and now the newer 2.

By contrast, (whether M or not M), all Z4 coupes are a visual rarity.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #59
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post

Yes - but there are a gadzillion 1-series coupes around that look almost identical to the 1M ... basically, it looks pretty much like just any other 1 series coupe, and now the newer 2.

By contrast, (whether M or not M), all Z4 coupes are a visual rarity.
We are not talking about a regular 1 Series (135i) but a 1M.

There are more M Coupes rolling the streets of the U.S. than 1M's.

Aesthetically the M Coupe is on its own, as in muscular looks and an engine to match it looks.

But the E82 1M was developed at the end of the life cycle of the E46 based car. They were limited with budget and design constraints.

The 1M is a "classic" sized BMW coupe
he couldn't really go wrong with either one as I see it. Both have pluses and minuses to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #60
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

> There are more M Coupes rolling the streets of the U.S. than 1M's.

Yes - but so what: those 1Ms were built on the same production line as a gadzillion other 1 series coupes ... and unless you are an expert or aficionado, it just looks like another 1 series coupe, because that is what it is.

So - yes - might only be a few around ... but there are other close variants in copious supply, like the 135M. I hear the same thing about VW Golf blah blah some special version R32 blah blah, and how there are only 50 in the country ... but at the end of the day, iwhile it might be super fast and a fantastic car, as to real rarity, it is just a variety on something that exists in the thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

By contrast, the Z4 coupe ... whether M or not M ... actually is very rare, as a body style ... in any style ... which is what makes it (propa) rare.
Appreciate 0