ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
skippermccoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 1986 635CSI

2005 z4 No power from battery at all.

I just did the battery, starter and alternator about a week ago. Car ran fine for a few days and then all the lights on the dash came on and it limped home. Now there is no power and the battery is showing a full charge on my meter. I looked on the negative cable and my car doesn't have the ibs. Where do I need to start to look.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

How are you determining the battery has a full charge with your meter? Are you just looking at the no load voltage? It should be above 12.5 but it will hold at that voltage until you near the end of capacity.
Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should climb up to 13.5 volts minimum, but 14 is ideal.
If you don't see the voltage increase when you have the engine running, your alternator either isn't putting anything out, or you lost connection to it. If this is the case then you've been running off the battery and it discharged enough that it's loaded voltage fell below a level that allowed reliable operation of the electronics.
      12-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippermccoy View Post
I just did the battery, starter and alternator about a week ago. Car ran fine for a few days and then all the lights on the dash came on and it limped home. Now there is no power and the battery is showing a full charge on my meter. I looked on the negative cable and my car doesn't have the ibs. Where do I need to start to look.
Did you check if the battery terminals are secure? Similar issue happened to me where my car had no life at all when I attempted to start it, and the battery had full charge. As I searched for the non-existent IBS on mine I discovered the negative terminal was loose. Soon as I tightened it, the car came to life. Hope your solution is as simple as mine. Good luck!
      12-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Definitely sounds like a bad connection.
Here's the wiring diagram if you need it.
terminal 30.pdf