ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Softtop issues

There are countless threads here about various softtop motor issues. While it's certainly possible this issue has been covered here, I can't find it. All summer long my top was "finicky". Some days it operated perfectly. Other days, it would not complete the process of either opening or closing. Mostly closing.
When I hit the close button, it would raise up - some times partially, sometimes all the way to where the "claws" at the top of the windshield should grab it and secure it completely shut. Some days, I would press the close button, the top would raise partially, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then go back out and complete the process with the button. Other times it went a week or 2 working perfectly.
A bunch of times during the summer/fall, I would be driving along and I would see the red indicator between the control buttons randomly flash once or twice, even though the top had been up for days/weeks.
So, right now the top is down. When I press the button to raise it, I hear the motor running but there is absolutely no movement from the top. I hate to pull the red lever! but she is now parked for the winter and I really don't want to leave the top down all winter even though she is garaged & covered.
She's an '06 ///M
any help is appreciated.
JR
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

I'd check the following. Ascending order of difficulty.

- Microswitch/tab - perhaps the tab is damaged/bent? If this becomes intermittent, you can get some strange behaviour. The blinky red light during driving makes me wonder about this...
- Hydraulic fluid leak - if motor is running but no movement, you may have a leak. Not sure if this can be checked without taking roof off Should be pretty rare...
- Motor - motor may be rusted and is now intermittent. Again, I don't believe this is testable without pulling the roof. You can see the motor housing if you pull the tray. If it looks wet/rusty, then you know. Maybe even easier if you have a boroscope.

If you have the bmw diag software, you may have some codes in the module that controls this. I'd definitely check the microswitch and tab in the trunk first though...

-gc
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
bamarider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 black z4 with 6 speed

sounds like a hydrulic fluid leak. having the same problem with mine. the way i operate mine, is i'll have my wife operate the open or close buttons and i'll raise or lower the top while she doing that. When i get the top in the raised or lowered position it will latch in place and the cycle lights will go out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
One other simple thing to check. Make sure there is nothing under the folding top shelf that is preventing it from lowering. I had similar symptoms, and I was worried I had a motor issue. It turned out that I had placed the BMW sunshade in the vinyl bag in the trunk, and the edge had gotten stuck under the tray...just barely pinched on the edge. Even though the tray was lowered, it was just enough to prevent the switch from fully making contact, and the roof would unlatch, but then stop with the motor whirling. What a relief to discover the simple fix.
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Something else that might help is adding the elastic assistance straps. When the rest of the system starts to get a bit worn, they help the top with the last 2 or three inches of travel when closing and the first 2 or 3 inches of travel when opening. They also prevent the top from slamming into the windshield surround when its closing.

search for top elastic straps and you should find the thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
One other simple thing to check. Make sure there is nothing under the folding top shelf that is preventing it from lowering. I had similar symptoms, and I was worried I had a motor issue. It turned out that I had placed the BMW sunshade in the vinyl bag in the trunk, and the edge had gotten stuck under the tray...just barely pinched on the edge. Even though the tray was lowered, it was just enough to prevent the switch from fully making contact, and the roof would unlatch, but then stop with the motor whirling. What a relief to discover the simple fix.
The tray micro switch will inhibit lowering, but it doesn't inhibit raising the top......
      08-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
bigjet
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4

where is that micro switch
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Look in the trunk under the center of the bottom of the top storage compartment. You'll see a vertical slot in the bulkhead.