ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Doctor Jeff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

Unhappy Z4 stolen

I am no longer a member of the Z4 club. My lovely black 2004 3.0 was stolen from my driveway in Omaha (USA) a few days ago. Long story short--it was a momentary lapse in being security-minded--I started the car to defrost the window, ran inside to get a bag and lock the door, and a thief made off with it. I called police within minutes of the crime. It turns out car theft is big business in Omaha, and theft rings will case neighborhoods regularly looking for easy grabs, especially when the weather is cold. They were obviously watching my driveway on an opngoing basis for quite some time, which is a scary thought in and of itself. (I am wondering if someone living in apartments nearby is involved, but this remains to be seen.)

No info from the police yet, but they tell me there is a 50% chance of recovery.

As many potential buyers read forums like this, it is a sapphire black Z4 with tan interior and black cloth roof, ~90,000 miles, only minor blemish is small scratch along left back bumper area. It has standard business CD radio with accessory input in ashtray installed. The license is Nebraska SIT 371, VIN 4usbt*******27376. There is a reward involved if you can help me get it back in good condition.

I called BMW and they said they were unable to trace the vehicle using BMW Assist for that model year. I feel really bad about it but am trying to be positive. I have already looked at some other cars, including a couple of 2009 Z4's, so maybe I will upgrade?

Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 02-23-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

sorry to hear jeff

wow makes you think twice about leaving your car unlocked. my immediate neighborhood is fairly nice, as are the surrounding neighborhoods. about 3 miles in certain directions put you in town where it starts to get a little suspect. i'm very very careless in my neighborhood, and probably shouldn't be. the only lamborghini aventador in the state of PA is right next door, so i'd hope any would be thiefs would opt for that over my lowly zed.

thanks for the wake up call though. i should count my stars for not having my M3 stolen while in philly for 4 years (university). i would run into the gas station and leave it running for things like subway/snacks etc.

it'll work out doc. best of luck and keep us posted.
      02-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Doctor Jeff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Bad news. I hope you can find it in good condition!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Bad news. I hope you can find it in good condition!
Honestly, I hope you wont find the car. A car that's been stolen is deflowered and will never be the same. Let's hope insurance will cut you a nice check and you can go get yourself a nice M roady

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope you will get the car back in great shape or get proper conpensation for it.
Yeah, I am pretty lucky to live in a decent neighborhood and usually don't lock my car (and even my house). I have to be more cautious because it is pretty crazy out there and definitely don't want to give the bad guys any opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Sucks, but should hopefully end well.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Doctor Jeff
Enlisted Member
Rep

I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Omaha, near Warren Buffett's childhood home. I think it gave me a false sense of security, especially since the mornings are particular quiet and that morning I did not see a single soul on the street even when I walked my dog.

The thieves of course are very crafty and are able to monitor what you do without your knowledge. Based on this experience I will never purchase another car without an alarm and the ability to track it in case of theft, and I will never leave a key in the car unless I am in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
clashcity74
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
in town where it starts to get a little suspect.
It's a real shame what has become of Allentown, as well as other areas in the Lehigh Valley.

I'm over in Bethlehem and a short walk from Main St. and the South Side. It all seems quiet and safe enough, but we've had a few garage break-ins and a tenant in my building got held up at the front door late one night.

Doctor Jeff - I wish you all the luck in the recovery of your vehicle and getting the scum who nicked it.
      02-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Omaha, near Warren Buffett's childhood home. I think it gave me a false sense of security, especially since the mornings are particular quiet and that morning I did not see a single soul on the street even when I walked my dog.

The thieves of course are very crafty and are able to monitor what you do without your knowledge. Based on this experience I will never purchase another car without an alarm and the ability to track it in case of theft, and I will never leave a key in the car unless I am in it.

a freind of mine bought a car and the dealer installed a lojack in it and charged him 650 bucks and i never heard him bitch more about something, long story short, his car was stolen pulled the card and reported it, they cought the theif and 3 other stolen cars about to be dismantled.

after that he could kiss the company. no harm to his car except for some cosmetic stuff that was fixed. he is running the viper smart start now where he can turn the car off and on from anywhere, as well as track it with his Iphone.

good luck man on getting her back. even if you get it replaced the thief has taken something from you, that is far more important and thats your sence of security. the moment they steal from your house it changes things......
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashcity74 View Post
It's a real shame what has become of Allentown, as well as other areas in the Lehigh Valley.

I'm over in Bethlehem and a short walk from Main St. and the South Side. It all seems quiet and safe enough, but we've had a few garage break-ins and a tenant in my building got held up at the front door late one night.

Doctor Jeff - I wish you all the luck in the recovery of your vehicle and getting the scum who nicked it.
i thought i was the only Mcoupe in the valley! what color?

there was a shooting or something at starters earlier this year. mollys and those other bars are still predominantly lehigh kids, but yea.
      02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Terrible news, very sorry to hear. It really serves a hard dose of reality - this kind of shit really does happen in today's society. After reading this, I keep thinking back to all the times I have forgot something inside the house just before I am leaving for work, run inside, grab it, all while my car is running sitting in the driveway. 30 seconds in and out may not sound like a long time but it only takes a thief seconds to hop in and drive off (assuming they know how to drive a stick.)

Not that I enjoy reading about it but I do appreciate you sharing your story with us because it is a reminder that these types of crimes do happen and can happen anywhere at anytime.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

its wierd, but I had a dream that my car broke down, and while I was waiting for repairmen, it was stripped, and then stolen. That was painful
      02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
clashcity74
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
i thought i was the only Mcoupe in the valley! what color?

there was a shooting or something at starters earlier this year. mollys and those other bars are still predominantly lehigh kids, but yea.
Nope, not the only one! I saw an M Roadster a few times driving around Downtown Bethlehem this past summer, but haven't seen it since.

I've got an 07 in Black Sapphire metallic and Black Nappa interior. You?

I tried hard to find one with Extended Leather, but my desire to have the car beat out my patience.
      02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Wow, just when you start to forget how low human scum can stoop. I never imagined my car would be vulnerable in my own driveway.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
You don't want it after what "Dirty Mike and the Boyz" will have done in it.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashcity74 View Post
Nope, not the only one! I saw an M Roadster a few times driving around Downtown Bethlehem this past summer, but haven't seen it since.

I've got an 07 in Black Sapphire metallic and Black Nappa interior. You?

I tried hard to find one with Extended Leather, but my desire to have the car beat out my patience.
yup theres a few M roadsters in the area but I have yet to see an M coupe. mine is black sapphire on black also...awesome!

oh yea, OP :/ i hope the car jackers get herpes.
      02-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

anybody have recommendations on a good gps tracker to keep in the car?

or any great security/theft deterrants/recovery blah available?

OP's story reminds us that it's better to be prepared before it's too late.
      02-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa
anybody have recommendations on a good gps tracker to keep in the car?

or any great security/theft deterrants/recovery blah available?

OP's story reminds us that it's better to be prepared before it's too late.
The new viper smart start is good as you can shut the car off while they drive away and track it with your phone. And the ol LoJack is always a solid pick.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Kind of like bait car .... I'd live to just shut the car off and find it a quarter mile down the road... What a relief that would be...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep

Horrible story man. I hope it works out for the best. I have done the same thing many times. Start the car, run in to grab something, leaving it in my driveway running. I will now never do that again. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

or like the transporter, coded ignition. wishful thinking.