ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

You could really help me out w a question since you are the first one to do such a detailed pixplanation of the opened headlight

The round lens the low beam bulb shines trough on the headlight shakes while Im driving, having opened the head light can you tell me what would cause this to happen?

In trying to get an idea of weather this is fixable.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
......I guess that's why our cars all look a little different.
I luv the matching quad look.

Yes sir! I love how all of our cars are a tiny bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Hawks Nest?
Correct! There are so many great roads in that area

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
You could really help me out w a question since you are the first one to do such a detailed pixplanation of the opened headlight

The round lens the low beam bulb shines trough on the headlight shakes while Im driving, having opened the head light can you tell me what would cause this to happen?

In trying to get an idea of weather this is fixable.
Are you talking about the one with the lens in this picture or the outside one?
Name:  Inside.jpg
Views: 2962
Size:  157.2 KB

If so thats all held together with plastic snap assembly. this is a back side pic. What you see is the angel eye, then a lens that fits into the angel eye followed by the blue diffusor. It all snaps together at the bottom
Name:  ring lens and diffusor.jpg
Views: 2944
Size:  96.5 KB

Maybe if you pulled the headlight assembly out of the car then removed the bulb for this lens - you could push the assembly back in place with say a wooden dowel. Sounds like a really good excuse to install some AE's! If the clips that hold the assembly are broken you could get another from an ebay junker. Thats what this pic is of. course you would have to cut it open to replace it but even doing the AE install its still much cheaper than a new headlight.
Name:  assembled.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  118.3 KB
If I blew it and you are talking about the other one let me know.
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 08-14-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Are you talking about the one in with the lens in this picture or the outside one?
Attachment 734987

If so thats all held together with plastic snap assembly. this is a back side pic. What you see is the angel eye, then a lens that fits into the angel eye followed by the blue diffusor. It all snaps together at the bottom

Maybe if you pulled the headlight assembly out of the car then removed the bulb for this lens - you could push the assembly back in place with say a wooden dowel. Sounds like a really good excuse to install some AE's! If the clips that hold the assembly are broken you could get another from an ebay junker. Thats what this pic is of. course you would have to cut it open to replace it but even doing the AE install its still much cheaper than a new headlight.
If I blew it and you are talking about the other one let me know.
NICE
That was very helpfull allready... I was talking about the low beam tho!

The discovery of the century is that you have two lense covers and I have none. (edited!)

Illustration of my head light at the bottom

edit:

Ok it looks like you have 1 focusing lense and one lens cover
Attached Images

Last edited by rkstar9; 08-14-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

[/QUOTE]
NICE
That was very helpfull allready... I was talking about the low beam tho!
The discovery of the century is that you have two lense covers and I have none. (edited!)[/QUOTE]

You just simply have the older headlights. They seem to be the same underneath the silver/shroud.
Probably pretty tough to get to without cutting the lens off

Last edited by BruceJ; 08-15-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

I will be sure to add the AE when I get in there..Still not sure if the focusing lens can be fixed?

taking the bumper down and cutting the light just to take a look sounds like an awful lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
I will be sure to add the AE when I get in there..Still not sure if the focusing lens can be fixed?

taking the bumper down and cutting the light just to take a look sounds like an awful lot of work.
Bumpers not hard:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...t=front+bumper
Only thing I do different is to leave one bolt on top in loosely and then snatch the sides loose. This keeps the whole thing fromo falling once you have both sides off.

cuttting headlights open - Yep - patient type work. only goes so fast and messy - so it has to be cleaned up.

But you could always just buy a set of aftermarkets from ebay - while cheaper than a new oem light or for that matter cheaper than a single used oem light - they are still more expensive than cutting them open, buying a junker for donor parts,and putting in angel eyes. It really all depends on your comfort zone with mech stuff and how tight you are with money.
If you were closer I tell you to bring it by my house.

If you decide you want to fix it and you need a donor light let me know and we'll figure out a price for mine.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

brave stuff here. Looks like Tekarbon better improve pricing :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #31
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
when you look at the labor involved Tekarbon is not too expensive at all IMO.
...what kills it is the shipping
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
ahhh yesss that thing
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
Once you've cut one open - not so challenging. Just time consuming. Not doing it to make money anyway

Quote:
+1 shipping, + a whole bunch for labor - Tekarbon is fairly priced.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

8/16/2012 Updated

Updates placed in the first post - just a little more to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #35
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

so sick
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Awesome work, as well as an amazing DIY writeup. I did the same procedure to the Crossfire I had previous to the M, so I understand how much work you put in to this. Can't say I'd ever hazard to do it again, though. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of using CFFL tube lighting, and the ballasts that powered the tubes proved problematic (i.e. liked to die after 6 months...) LED definitely seems like a better way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

08/19/2012 Update

Last one - if there are no questions -
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #38
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Great DIY and work, looks fantastic. Game on for me now, It's the right price for my fixed income in retirement, I'm going for it.

If I may make one suggestion that I may have simply missed in reading through your write up that I learned the hard way early on in over 1.5 million miles of trucking primarily in the US rust belt, Canada and Arctic for 10 years....

For those that chose is to use crimp connectors vs solder and shrink wrap, especially if you it's your DD and you drive in the salt and snow all winter, prefferably use only the crimp connectors that have the shrink wrap built in. If using the regular crimp connectors shrink wrap them and/or seal them with with the liquid electrical tape.

In my experience, unsealed crimp connectors on smaller wire like 16 gauge and smaller last about 6 months to a year before they corrode and break off running in heavy salt and snow. Better to pay the extra couple $$$ now or you'll pay more later.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I might have missed it, but does anyone have a DIY on tapping into the power source that runs the interior lights? I just got my angel eyes installed from Tekarbon, but want the fade in/out feature when I unlock/lock the car and/or when I open/close the doors, etc.
I've had this done on my E46 before, but I don't remember much at all from the install, especially since I didn't DIY it at the time. I recall that the E46's angel eyes used a universal wiring harness, and part of that wiring bunch was a longer extension that would be fed through the firewall and tapped into the interior lighting source.
I'm wondering if anyone has info on how to do this for the Z4s specifically?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #40
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I might have missed it, but does anyone have a DIY on tapping into the power source that runs the interior lights? I just got my angel eyes installed from Tekarbon, but want the fade in/out feature when I unlock/lock the car and/or when I open/close the doors, etc.
I've had this done on my E46 before, but I don't remember much at all from the install, especially since I didn't DIY it at the time. I recall that the E46's angel eyes used a universal wiring harness, and part of that wiring bunch was a longer extension that would be fed through the firewall and tapped into the interior lighting source.
I love this feature. My sister has it on her E92 and to me it makes such a big difference compared to not having it. Hope someone has the answer so when I eventually do my Tekarbon install I can do this also.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #41
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:

I didn't even know that was possible to get LEDs to fade, technology is moving way faster than my old butt can keep up with it LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #42
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
Great DIY and work, looks fantastic. Game on for me now, It's the right price for my fixed income in retirement, I'm going for it.

If I may make one suggestion that I may have simply missed in reading through your write up that I learned the hard way early on in over 1.5 million miles of trucking primarily in the US rust belt, Canada and Arctic for 10 years....

For those that chose is to use crimp connectors vs solder and shrink wrap, especially if you it's your DD and you drive in the salt and snow all winter, prefferably use only the crimp connectors that have the shrink wrap built in. If using the regular crimp connectors shrink wrap them and/or seal them with with the liquid electrical tape.

In my experience, unsealed crimp connectors on smaller wire like 16 gauge and smaller last about 6 months to a year before they corrode and break off running in heavy salt and snow. Better to pay the extra couple $$$ now or you'll pay more later.
No argument there - I was just lazy. I live in SW Ga where the heat and lack of rain are our only weather issues. I do cover butt connections with electrical tape - but again here I was just lazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #43
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did this in my DIY. It requires a wiring harness with a relay - $20 from Umnuzia. I dont think this is installed with Tekarbon mod'ed H/L's. The single wire external to the H/L's is attached to a ignition switched positive line. I kinda doubt this is a relay trigger - although its possible. You would need to pop one or probably both open to see. When you look at them the LED wiring should be kinda obvious. I you dont see a relay attached to them then no-go.
I discuss how to use a harness w/relay in the last parts of the DIY. Its not hard. The PITA is crawing up under your dash on the driver side.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #44
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

the Tekarbon are fused & tapped into the headlight off delay relay.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0