ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Ive been looking around for new tires since mine are pretty much bald at this point and I was looking for opinions on what you guys think I should get. I've checked the reviews on TireRack and read up a good bit on what others have said about theirs.

I recently got a new set for my daily, (W211 E320) and went solely off of what the reviews on TireRack had said and haven't been dissapointed, they're Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and Im pretty impressed with them so far. I looked into the Michellin PSS but with everything into consideration the Conti's turned out to be a better overall package including price.

Not considering Price, what's the best summer tires for our cars? Im probably going to get new wheels as well but I don't think Ill move away from 18inch wheels. Will definitely go wider but I don't think that should make a difference as far as tire choice is concerned.
I also wont be driving much when the road is wet, and I don't want to get track tires either, thats a whole different story.

So, how have your experiences been with the tires you all have gotten? What should I consider/stay away from, and if I'm going lower, should I be too worried about the way tirewall will affect rubbing (Obviously I should, but what are the ones to really be wary of) ?

Also, quick note, I know there are plenty of threads out there on what to get, but I was looking for a more detailed review on why I should get what's being suggested in terms of road/performance feel. When the time comes for lowering/wheels Ill do my own research on what wont rub. The wheel/lowering combo is more specific in that regard and is a matter of calculating what will/wont work.
      05-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Ive had Michelin ps2 on my 3.0si for 5 or so years now. The fronts still have meat so I bought a pair of used rears. They're non run flat. From what I've read the PSS are similar or better in most categories including wear. Those will be my next set
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z
Ive had Michelin ps2 on my 3.0si for 5 or so years now. The fronts still have meat so I bought a pair of used rears. They're non run flat. From what I've read the PSS are similar or better in most categories including wear. Those will be my next set
Yeah, I mean I've had the PSS on my CLS63 and theyre fantastic, the only problem I have here is not knowing how they differ from the other options out there.
Not worried about comfort in this application but theyre great in that regard as well. The previous set of tires I had on that car were Pirello P-zero Nero's and those had a defect in them, only had those on the car for about 1000 miles and that was just city driving so I can't compare them to the PSS.
      06-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Best summer tires I've had were the Yokohama AD08's. They're extremely grippy but they have a few drawbacks. They need to warm up a bit before giving full grip, they're not nice in the rain, they're loud, they wear quickly and they're expensive.

But short of going with R-Comps they're probably the grippiest road tires out there. And now they've released their new AD08R which performs better and wears better too (apparently).
      06-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

michelin pilot super sport -end of story-grip , compliance , noise, ride-yes! and not much more than ordinary rubber
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
The Supersports should be the best of both worlds, regarding performance in dry/wet and cost. I have them in the back of mine at the moment (fronts still AD08 till they wear out).

The Supersports replacement is rumoured to be released sometime in 2017 i believe.. As a stop gap new tire Michelin just released the Pilot Sport 4's which according to them perform better than the PSS in most situations but slightly slower in track driving conditions: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...uper-Sport.htm
      06-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If you want the best summer performance tires regardless of cost, you need to move to the extreme performance summer category.

At the top of that category for dry grip is the Bridgestone RE-71R. I have confidence these tires would put power down in first gear on a supercharged M. They are almost too much tire (if there is such a thing) for my supercharged non-M. I decided to test them out shortly after purchasing, and I dumped the clutch in first gear. Instead of spinning the tires, the clutch slipped briefly as I was launched forward... and the clutch is almost new and much higher capacity than stock. With the combination of the limited slip diff, I never see my traction control light up since throwing the tires on, and it used to spin the tires in second gear with max performance summer tires.

With these tires and a well set up Z4, you can run circles around almost any car that has lesser tires on it. They are very predictable at the limit and easy to feel out. The make a nice progressive howl as you start to approach the limit of adhesion, and small corrections get everything back in line.

Wet grip is much better than expected. The only downsides to these tires are road noise and hardness, but my car has a loud exhaust and firm suspension anyway. It's a sports car, and ultimate grip is most important to me.

Having gone through about 14 sets of tires from 6 different manufacturers on my Z's, I have to say these tires are my favorite so far. Next would be the Hankook RS3, though they can be a little scary in the rain and aren't very good if the weather is cool. The PSS are in a category below both, although cool weather and wet grip are better than the RS3, as is tread life.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Update - I've put around 2000 miles on these tires and am still very pleased. Wet grip should be broken down into damp grip and tendency to hydroplane. Damp grip is good, but these tires have a higher tendency to hydroplane than some max performance summer tires. So, I would recommend them for dry days, but not so much for areas that see heavy rainfall or have standing water.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #9
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Thank you all so much for the replies, really appreciate it! Will definitely look into the Bridgestone's and Yokohama's. Haven't gotten around to getting the tires yet as I don't drive the car much so I'll still be keeping an eye out on this thread if anyone has any more suggestions till the time I get around to ordering them.
(Still need to decide on what wheels to get too )
      06-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Dunlop drizza get my vote for a hot summer only tire. Bad at everything else, but great for summer..