ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
desmoto
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe BSP

Superpro poly FCABs installed

So I've been going through my coupe doing some chassis maintenance, wanted to upgrade the FCABs and RTABs but found very few FCAB options for our cars given the offset design.

I found a forum member or two had fitted these bushings from Superpro originally designed for caster changes to E36 chassis, tried to order through some local vendors w no luck, finally bit the bullet and purchased via eBay UK.

Install was pretty easy, provided you have a 2 or 3 jaw puller and a press. Cutting the old bushing out of the lollipop seems like a real PITA. Given a lift and the appropriate tools, the whole process was maybe 2.5hrs really taking my time and including an inspection while under the car.

Important to note how the offset is clocked within the lollipop/bushing housing. There is an arrow cast on one side to show where the centerline of the bushing opening should be positioned. The bushing assemblies have a cool two piece design with a small insert that fits onto the control arm end allowing it to rotate smoothly in the bushing. I found that these slide onto the control arm end easily but it is best to assemble the bushing pieces after pressing into the housing then drive the entire unit onto the control arm end with a mallet. Once fitted, the arms can be raised and the FCAB housing bolted back into place easily. It is not necessary to remove anything but the skidplate and FCAB housings for the install. Grease the the bushing pieces thoroughly.

Sorry I didn't take more photos but here is one of the puller on the stock bushing housing.

I've put 100+ street miles on since the install and I highly recommend. Zero difference in NVH noticed and even though my OE bushings were in good condition, turn-in, steering response and overall feel is tighter and really enjoyable. I'm eager to see how it feels at the next AutoX!

Hope this is helpful for others, I know I didn't see much out there about this setup when I was researching.

this picture from inTgr8r shows what the finished product looks like on the RHS control arm

more info on this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13535015

and Ebay listing for the FCABs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z4-M-Off...item3a952c4fcb
Attached Images

Last edited by desmoto; 09-02-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0