ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
nvs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Intermittent soft top issue

Hey all, I've been having intermittent problems with my soft top lately. It will only lift the top about halfway, and then stops. If I wait a second or two and try closing it again, it works - so far! Any suggestions?

It's due for it's 60k tune-up and I figure I can just ask them to take a look, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions/experiences.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

It could be the start of the hydraulic motors that power the roof beginning to fail from water build up inside the chamber that houses them. Same thing happened to my car at about 80-90k km. The entire hydraulic motor system needed to be replaced. The drain holes from the housing are quite small and are easily blocked by a leaf or any other like object that may fall down and in. Hope your car is under warranty as it could be a very expensive repair.

There should be a fair amount of information about this issue on the board, I know there was on the old z4um.com.

Good luck,
dave
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
nvs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysew View Post
It could be the start of the hydraulic motors that power the roof beginning to fail from water build up inside the chamber that houses them. Same thing happened to my car at about 80-90k km. The entire hydraulic motor system needed to be replaced. The drain holes from the housing are quite small and are easily blocked by a leaf or any other like object that may fall down and in. Hope your car is under warranty as it could be a very expensive repair.

There should be a fair amount of information about this issue on the board, I know there was on the old z4um.com.

Good luck,
dave
I found a good write up on how to remove and install thanks to shipkiller
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10190

Doesn't look like fun, but it looks like hundreds of dollars in savings!
Appreciate 0