ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
CA Emissions Question.

Folks,

So I have a question for you all with CA SMOG knowledge.

I have a set of BMW OEM CSL headers bolted to a set of OEM Euro cats. The harness has been extended and the 2 O2 sensors repositioned in the stock Euro locations.

I have been through WA emissions several times with no problem and the setup produces no codes.

As i am selling the car and keep getting the question. I just need to know if/would anyone in CA run into a problem when they went to CA emissions? I can vouch for WA but CA is something I have no experience or knowledge of differences.

Thanks!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bueller? Bueller......
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
ehokana
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si; BMW 335i

I don’t believe there would be an issue. The visual inspection is minimal. Unless the person knew what they were looking at, the mod likely would go unnoticed. You’ve retained OEM cats and since the car was not a California car, you could easily explain the lack of CARB stamps.

In all reality, as long as the car is not throwing any codes, you should be just fine.

If you want to talk about issues, try getting an ‘87 944 turbo thru emissions in Cali. I was not a religious man until they started the inspection on that car.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehokana View Post
I don’t believe there would be an issue. The visual inspection is minimal. Unless the person knew what they were looking at, the mod likely would go unnoticed. You’ve retained OEM cats and since the car was not a California car, you could easily explain the lack of CARB stamps.

In all reality, as long as the car is not throwing any codes, you should be just fine.

If you want to talk about issues, try getting an ‘87 944 turbo thru emissions in Cali. I was not a religious man until they started the inspection on that car.
Ok, that all makes sense to me.

AHAHAHA yea I can imagine it was quite the "puckering" moment.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
ehokana
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si; BMW 335i

I have never had a tech look under the car or deep into the engine compartment. I doubt any tech is going to go check CARB numbers on all of the parts if the mods are cleanly done (especially on an out-of-state car).

If it’s gone through the Washington emissions, there should be no problem with it running clean enough to pass in California too. That is generally what people are worried about.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Folks,

So I have a question for you all with CA SMOG knowledge.

I have a set of BMW OEM CSL headers bolted to a set of OEM Euro cats. The harness has been extended and the 2 O2 sensors repositioned in the stock Euro locations.

I have been through WA emissions several times with no problem and the setup produces no codes.

As i am selling the car and keep getting the question. I just need to know if/would anyone in CA run into a problem when they went to CA emissions? I can vouch for WA but CA is something I have no experience or knowledge of differences.

Thanks!
From a CA sniffer test perspective folks have used Euro headers and Euro Cats with the relocation of O2 and passed. Obviously the car needs to be well warmed up since the hot cats next to the exhaust manifold are gone. But it looks stock, and, actually is stock in Euro spec.

The unknown--but I think you've answered and Zpost members in other ODBII states have passed--is whether this would pass the ODBII readiness test. That's a second way CA SMOG is now done.

The only probably less than 1% risk is that someone does a part number check or visually notices the cats are missing from the headers. The Euro and CSL look OEM (as they are OEM), but this is a super minor risk. The car is also rare and if it looks OEM, no obviously airbox or other mods (those are instantly spotted), it should be just fine.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I passed CA smog test two years ago without issue with same setup. I need to do another test coming week.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

I believe CA doesn't used the tailpipe sniffer test any more, it's just OBDII readiness and the visual. The visual is hit or miss, some breeze through and other tell a horror story. YMMV unless you have "prior knowledge."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I personally know someone that passed a smog check here in Cali with the exhaust same setup, not a single issue.
Appreciate 0