ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Now that I bought a Z4, help me give it away.

Ok, so, my parents have been helping me out over the last year with some personal stuff and would not take money from me, never complained, and did the best job they could. Its nice to know I have a family like this to rely on and in such a selfless manner. As a thank you, I have decided to buy them a z4.

So, I've been searching for a few months for the perfect car and I finally found and bought it. Its a used '05 3.0i and its totally mint with 10K miles.

They know that I wanted to do something nice for them, and they know that I wanted to buy them a car - as a car nut, what else would I buy them?! What they don't know is that I led them to believe it would be a Miata or a Mini or some other car that was fun, but not as impressive as a z4. Because they never had a lot of money, they could never fathom buying something like a two seater sports car, much less a high line one, so this makes it even more precious a gift that I can give to them. I cant wait to see their expressions.

Now, the hard part. How do I give it to them? I'd like to make it special and set up something so they are totally surprised. I'd also like to physically be there when I give it to them, so that has to fit into the plan somehow.

I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to surprise someone with a car. Ever hear of any good delivery methods? I plan on doing it this weekend, so it cant take TOO much preparation.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

That's REALLY cool of you man... kudos.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I say take them to Sunday brunch, get there early yourself, and when the meal is over, walk them outside, and give em a casual, by the way, this is yours. And get them to think that the brunch is the gift itself! :P

Drive their car home, they go cruising with Z4 for an afternoon of fun in the sun.

By the way, that's a very kind gesture that you're doing and I hope they really enjoy the car. I know all of us owners enjoy it!
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I say take them to Sunday brunch, get there early yourself, and when the meal is over, walk them outside, and give em a casual, by the way, this is yours. And get them to think that the brunch is the gift itself! :P

Drive their car home, they go cruising with Z4 for an afternoon of fun in the sun.

By the way, that's a very kind gesture that you're doing and I hope they really enjoy the car. I know all of us owners enjoy it!

i like this idea. but to add to it, you can bring it to the restaurant you'll be going to, earlier that morning and leave it parked. then when you drive up with your parents, you can comment on the car and say how beautiful the car is (as if it's someone else's). then once youre done and are leaving, comment again about the car on the way out and then hit the unlock button. give them the keys to the z4 and watch their mouths drop lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I say...give 'em a call from the local police station and tell them you need them to pick you up. Wait for them in the parking lot and get a bow for the car. Their heads will explode.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
gizmo83
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

You can take them to eat. While you're there have someone park the car in the driveway at home with a big ass bow on top of it.

I've seen local dealerships do that for people here.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I like the resturant idea but some people would want such a special moment to be more private.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
In HS my rents put a big down payment on a new Civic for me for my 18th bday. They took me to eat and the dealership put a big bow on it and parked it in the lot for me. It was a great surprise, my dad had a camera ready and everything when we walked out

Bad thing was it was a brand new car that I'd never driven, I was 45 minutes from home (make the trip for a great restaurant) and it was the middle of a blizzard (we ended up getting 7+ inches). Haha, talk about a nervous drive home!!!

Personally, as a trickster, picked up from my dad, I would park it in a used car lot on Sunday near a miata or something. Put a bow on the miata (or something) and then take them there, see the excitment, then unlock the car and when the lights flash just be like "hmmm, must have given me the wrong keys... oh well!"

Then again I one got a DVD from my dad that was wrapped and put in a box, wrapped, put in another box, etc.... All for a lame DVD... go figure. I am all about too much work for a little better surprise.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

What a great parents, what a great son!

Here is my idea:
You can park the car somewhere close to your parents house, in such a place that they can see it. Leave the car there for couple of days, so they can keep seeing it. To make things better, when you go to visit them you can talk about "the car parked there".

In the mean time, fedex them the keys and the title etc...

Another idea might be this:

Park the car to a some shopping malls parking lot. Call your parents to meet you at the parking lot. Give them the key, and using the remote, let them find which car it belongs to..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Haha awesome ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: soon to be 440iM Sport Coupe

Buy them a zed key ring and give it to them wraped up in the box it comes in, when they open it and look confused and ask why have you bought us a zed key ring - your answer - well if you want the rest of what goes with the key ring you better come outside!

What ever you choose, hope it goes well and they are made up with the car!!!!!!!!!
      06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Great ideas, one more variant on the meal and placement idea...

The restaurant idea to meet for lunch is a neat idea, and having the car parked at your parents home while your out eating is a good idea... I would just find someone to park it in their garage while your out to eat. Then follow them home and watch!

Hide and seek at the mall or other parking lot could be fun too though...

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Type R, Wrangler

Are you up for adoption? Kidding.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsns3 View Post
Are you up for adoption? Kidding.
+1

After you give your parents your gift, we have a spare room for you. Wife and I plan to help you out over the next year with any personal stuff, we will not take money from you, never complain, and do the best job we can. We want you to feel that you have a second family to rely on in a selfless manner.

PS - Have my eye on an Interlagos Blue E93M3 with DCT.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Great ideas, one more variant on the meal and placement idea...

The restaurant idea to meet for lunch is a neat idea, and having the car parked at your parents home while your out eating is a good idea... I would just find someone to park it in their garage while your out to eat. Then follow them home and watch!

Hide and seek at the mall or other parking lot could be fun too though...
Thats pretty good. Have someone back it into the garage with a bow on top. When you get back from eating you just hit the clicker, up goes the door with them looking straight at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
+1

After you give your parents your gift, we have a spare room for you. Wife and I plan to help you out over the next year with any personal stuff, we will not take money from you, never complain, and do the best job we can. We want you to feel that you have a second family to rely on in a selfless manner.

PS - Have my eye on an Interlagos Blue E93M3 with DCT.
Hehe I think you have to help him 3+ years for an E92M3.. And additional 4 months for the DCT

sorry for the off-topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Ok, so, my parents have been helping me out over the last year with some personal stuff and would not take money from me, never complained, and did the best job they could. Its nice to know I have a family like this to rely on and in such a selfless manner. As a thank you, I have decided to buy them a z4.

So, I've been searching for a few months for the perfect car and I finally found and bought it. Its a used '05 3.0i and its totally mint with 10K miles.

They know that I wanted to do something nice for them, and they know that I wanted to buy them a car - as a car nut, what else would I buy them?! What they don't know is that I led them to believe it would be a Miata or a Mini or some other car that was fun, but not as impressive as a z4. Because they never had a lot of money, they could never fathom buying something like a two seater sports car, much less a high line one, so this makes it even more precious a gift that I can give to them. I cant wait to see their expressions.

Now, the hard part. How do I give it to them? I'd like to make it special and set up something so they are totally surprised. I'd also like to physically be there when I give it to them, so that has to fit into the plan somehow.

I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to surprise someone with a car. Ever hear of any good delivery methods? I plan on doing it this weekend, so it cant take TOO much preparation.
I would take them to a nice restaurant with Valet parking. I would have the car there early, give the ticket to the Valet and watch there faces when the car is brought to them.

I do think what you did is really cool. Hope you post how things turned out.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
That is a really good idea Matt C! I like that one.

I also like the one about putting it in their garage
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Modad
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

I parked my daughters car at Walmart while she and her mother were shopping. I went in to meet them and as we walked out thru the parking lot, I commented "That's a nice car" My daughter agreed and I then pushed the unlock and opened the door. She was blown away! Later we joked that she "got her car at Walmart".
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I plan on doing it this weekend, so it cant take TOO much preparation.
SO the weekend is almost over..... What DID you do?

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Haha, yeah, we need the story and a picture of their expression.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

I cant tell the full story without revealing personal info I dont want on the internet, but lets just say that it all went well, and I used aspects from a few stories here to git er done. They are so happy! Thanks everyone for your input!
Appreciate 0