ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Dissimilar Metals

In particular alloy rims and steel rotor hats.
How do you guys prevent the alloy rims from corroding themselves onto the steel hubs?

When I first got my car and changed out the wheels I had to literally beat the wheels off the hubs with a sledge hammer from behind.

I resorted to applying a little bit of never sieze paste to the new wheels but it makes a mess.

I am due for brakes and so was thinking about making a "gasket" from thin rubber or even thin gasket paper to go between the rim and the hub.

Comments?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I cleaned mine as well as I could with Brakleen and Scotch-Brite.
Then I dipped my finger in some 10W-60 and rubbed it onto the hubs.
Seems to be working, but I'm in a very benign weather environment.
I doubt there's enough gap on mine for a solid gasket.
I'm pretty sure that's what centers the wheel, but the non-///M may be different.
      06-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Anti-seize paste is one of those "a little goes a very long way" compounds. The less you use, the more effective it is.

If you're applying it and it's making a mess, then you've applied too much.

Of course, I change my wheels/tires once a month due to my extra-curricular activities and my location, so there's little to no chance of them seizing to the hub.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

+1 on the hack. a little should be all you need and probably only at the center ring.

I would strongly recommend against any kind of oiling or gasket. A major component of your wheel staying on your car is friction (clamping force) between wheel and hub.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Anti-seize paste is one of those "a little goes a very long way" compounds. The less you use, the more effective it is.

If you're applying it and it's making a mess, then you've applied too much.

Of course, I change my wheels/tires once a month due to my extra-curricular activities and my location, so there's little to no chance of them seizing to the hub.
Same here on the anti-sieze. Barely a dob on my finger and spread it as far as it goes. Zero stick. The wheel does grab on the hub a bit, but that to me is expected - never required me to beat it or have to jerk and pull like the OP stated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've had good luck with graphite lube
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Anti-seize for me, too. Works like a charm. A little does go a long way....not sure I'll ever finish the little tub/bottle I got.
      06-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I use brake pad grease on any parts down there. Between wheel spacers too.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
In particular alloy rims and steel rotor hats.
How do you guys prevent the alloy rims from corroding themselves onto the steel hubs?

When I first got my car and changed out the wheels I had to literally beat the wheels off the hubs with a sledge hammer from behind.

I resorted to applying a little bit of never sieze paste to the new wheels but it makes a mess.

I am due for brakes and so was thinking about making a "gasket" from thin rubber or even thin gasket paper to go between the rim and the hub.

Comments?
I have to do the same thing on my Q5 when I swap the winter wheels twice a year. Except I kick the rubber as hard as I can instead of using a sledge hammer. Never occurred to me that this was not normal. I'll try the anti-seize suggestions. Is this the same anti-seize you apply to spark plugs that they sell at the counter at autozone?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:05 AM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Not sure where to buy anti sieze.
I have an old can left over from my tool and die maker dad.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Anti-seize for me, too. Works like a charm. A little does go a long way....not sure I'll ever finish the little tub/bottle I got.
I still have the same bottle of Permatex "silver and get's all over everything) anti-sieze for the past 30 years. Stuff is great....in moderation.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Never ever use a gasket from paper, rubber or whatever!

With a compressable material between the rim and hub you cant torque the bolts (the bolts won't hold the torque) and you could loose a wheel, or in your case, 4 wheels....

I use some copper grease, a very thin film applied with a brush...
Especially around the centre round fitting flange.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

buy the copper compound anti-seize at Napa, its like $6 for a bottle that will last you 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Its common now to find these electronic modules installed on cars that create a very slight charge throughout the vehicle that makes the entire car cathodic relative to the sacrificial anode contained within the unit.

I wonder if that would suffice to prevent this from happening - and eliminate any further rust from developing or progressing elsewhere on the car? Sadly, those devices are way more pricey than the solutions above, so likely not practical.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Its common now to find these electronic modules installed on cars that create a very slight charge throughout the vehicle that makes the entire car cathodic relative to the sacrificial anode contained within the unit.
That only works when the sacrificial anode is contained in the same electrolyte.

So if your car is all wet everywhere it will work but rust usually occurs on those spots that stay wet, and those are pretty well hidden. You'd have to dip the sacrificial anode in the same wet spot, and that is usually a very thin layer of water on the metal, thus short circuiting the device....

So no, that won't work.

Could work on a boat though.

Galvanizing the steel (usually zincplating), so that there is sacrificial material everywhere does work
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hmm. I thought that the theory is that every metal part of the car that is not insulated from the point where the device connects, has a small current and the car becomes one big cathode so that all the corrosion takes place at the sacrificial anode. But I think there are mixed reviews on how effective these systems are.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #17
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Its called 'Cathodic Protection' and its been in use on ships and boats for 40 years, but as GuidoK it will not work on an automobile.

There are two types of Cathodic Protection, active and passive. Passive normally just uses a zinc anode to dissolve away thus protecting the base material. Active uses electric current.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Its called 'Cathodic Protection' and its been in use on ships and boats for 40 years, but as GuidoK it will not work on an automobile.

There are two types of Cathodic Protection, active and passive. Passive normally just uses a zinc anode to dissolve away thus protecting the base material. Active uses electric current.
Cathodic cleaning is also used prior to welding pipe seams particularly on Aluminum.

Thanks for all the input.

I will stick with the "little dab'll do ya" process.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The more I research electronic rust protection the more I tend to think it's modern day snake oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #20
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
On modern US Naval warships, they use a combination of passive and active cathodic systems. US Naval Submarines use a passive system although the new Virginia class might use an active system, but I doubt it, from a detectability standpoint.. I just never noticed when on board. I may have to look next time I am onboard a 774 class boat.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
I still have the same bottle of Permatex "silver and get's all over everything) anti-sieze for the past 30 years. Stuff is great....in moderation.
Ha! That's the same thing I have. Guess it'll be with me a while, too.