ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Mounting spot for toll transponder

I finally got around to ordering an EZ pass for the Z4. It comes with 2 adhesive strips and they recommend mounting it behind the rear view mirror. All the loaner cars I've gotten from Audi have the transponder mounted somewhere in the engine bay or bumper. Has anyone found a good spot to do this on the Z4?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

mine is hidden in the sunglass holder on the roof.
      06-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
mine is hidden in the sunglass holder on the roof.
The roadsters don't have a sunglass holder. Anyone know what that spot is used for on the roadster or is it just a fixed trim piece? If there's nothing behind there, maybe I can mount the transponder inside.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
There isnt a ton of space in the trim at the top of the windshield on the roadsters so unless if this thing is really small, you wont get it up there. I don't know what is inside the center part of the convertible top, but I imagine it is full of motor stuff for the latches. How often are you going through the tolls? Would it be too much of a hassel to just put it in the center storage and pull it out when you need to use it?
      06-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ah, so that's where the motor goes? I always wondered why roadsters didn't have a sunglass holder. The transponder is about 2" x 3" x 1" so I probably couldn't squeeze it behind any trim piece. Any place near the bumper that's good?

I don't want to put it in my center storage because I don't go through toll booths that often, so I know I'll forget to take it out in time while going through the express lane. My body isn't flexible enough to allow me get anything out of the central storage while driving anyway. My other 2 cars have it mounted in the windshield so I don't have to think about it. Even before I got the transponder for the Z4 I kept swerving into the cash lane at the last second because I kept forgetting I don't have a transponder
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Two steps for making a huge EZ-Pass transponder disappear (for the driver at least):

1. If any color other than black, Spray-Dip it black
2. While seated in the driver's seat, position the transponder on the windshield on the right side of the rear-view mirror so that the mirror is blocking sight of the transponder.

Out of sight, out of mind. When it's black, it's also not as noticeable to the passenger.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Two steps for making a huge EZ-Pass transponder disappear (for the driver at least):

1. If any color other than black, Spray-Dip it black
2. While seated in the driver's seat, position the transponder on the windshield on the right side of the rear-view mirror so that the mirror is blocking sight of the transponder.

Out of sight, out of mind. When it's black, it's also not as noticeable to the passenger.
Good suggestion, I have leftover high-temp Krylon spray paint. That won't affect the functionality of the transponder right?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

No problems ever since I dipped my EZ-Pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

You can also buy a black version of that special hard plastic velcro they come with (3M Dual Lock). They sell it at staples.

Black velcro plus black paint and it will disappear pretty effectively.

OP, since you're in MA I'm assuming you have an EZPass. EZPass also offers a license plate mounted transponder that would eliminate this problem for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
You can also buy a black version of that special hard plastic velcro they come with (3M Dual Lock). They sell it at staples.

Black velcro plus black paint and it will disappear pretty effectively.

OP, since you're in MA I'm assuming you have an EZPass. EZPass also offers a license plate mounted transponder that would eliminate this problem for you.
Yeah, I'll look into that velco too. Not a big deal to hang it in the windshield; I just didn't like look of the white piece of plastic in my triple black roadster.

I don't think the license plate mount works well for MA plates.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attac...0&d=1358571702

It blocks the entire state name and part of the registration month.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #11
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

that license plate tag is huge and obnoxious, I was thinking they were a lot thinner than that. i guess thats not a better option after all.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
that license plate tag is huge and obnoxious, I was thinking they were a lot thinner than that. i guess thats not a better option after all.
Mount it underneath and recessed and you barely notice them. Both my cars are mounted that way. It's very easy to do.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Mount it underneath and recessed and you barely notice them. Both my cars are mounted that way. It's very easy to do.
How do you recess it? Do you have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Just use a couple metal strips with a hole in each end to extend it down from the bottom holes on the plate.
      06-03-2015, 05:17 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
How do you recess it? Do you have a picture?
Not the best pic, and this is the older version of the bumper transponder used in Virginia, the newer ones are a bit slimmer and only have one mounting hole per side. But you get the idea. I just made some brackets and mount them from the backside of the lower tag bolt locations. It's stealth, protects the transponder from bumper rash, and works good.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Call me paranoid if you wish but I do not want to be tracked everywhere I go so I always keep my in the anti-static bag and take it out only when needed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...t-toll-booths/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Call me paranoid if you wish but I do not want to be tracked everywhere I go so I always keep my in the anti-static bag and take it out only when needed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...t-toll-booths/
You are paranoid. Maybe they'll match your cell phone GPS location to your EZ-pass location just to keep their "system" in tune...

Maybe you need to visit goanalog.com to get some peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

I am not sure which transponder you have, but the newer, smaller component is a good candidate for plasti-dip. Then placed behind the rear view mirror will, as mentioned earlier, be out of sight out of mind.

Do be careful with the recent change in temps... I've noticed colder nights that lead into warmer afternoons affect the adhesive. Sometimes I will enter the car and the ezpass is on the floor lol.

R.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #19
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You are paranoid. Maybe they'll match your cell phone GPS location to your EZ-pass location just to keep their "system" in tune...

Maybe you need to visit goanalog.com to get some peace of mind.
+1. You going places you're afraid to admit?

That said, the second there is even a whiff of using tracking information for non-anonymous reasons (e.g. infractions) that thing is going in the bag!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #20
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
+1. You going places you're afraid to admit?

That said, the second there is even a whiff of using tracking information for non-anonymous reasons (e.g. infractions) that thing is going in the bag!
There are many documented cases where the prosecution has used highway tolling data to show a murder suspect was in a certain place at a certain time, which contradicted the suspect's original alibi. I hope that's not why Pheonix is scared of using it though
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

as long as we all have cellphones, any other anti-tracking efforts are a waste of time. its like driving a semi, but taking the antennas off to give it a lower profile.
Appreciate 0