ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
thez4
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Roadster

Question Wheel suggestion please!!!

I have an 06 z4 3.0i and I need to replace two wheels as they are bent. Also I am planning to change all the tires from the RFTs to Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (225/45 - R17).

I have 17 inch OEM wheels and now I want to get wheels similar to them as I want all of them to look the same. Can anybody please suggest a set wheels and where I could possibly get them? Also, if anybody from bayarea, california, please suggest a good store where I can change my tires and get them balanced. I visited Paloalto bimmer recently for my alignment and I got totally screwed!

These are the current wheels that I have:

http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/thez4/

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
So are you looking to just get 2 replacement wheels, and then all new tires; or are you getting all new wheels/tires?
If all new, are you sticking with 17" or doing +1 for an 18" setup?
      09-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Those look like style 200 wheels, which list for $4-500 each (depending upon whose "list" you use) and are available from Tischer BMW for about $318 each (call it close to $700 for a pair shipped to you). So, if you want to continue to go stock, that's probably the cheapest way, assuming your bent rims aren't repairable.

Another approach is to look at tirerack.com where you can shop for the wheels that appeal to you, buy the tires at the same time and they will mount and balance them for free. If what you want is in stock at their Reno warehouse, they can have them to you in a day or two with standard UPS shipping.

If you are interested in moving up to an 18" staggered setup, I have a set of style 203's (coupe sport package) that are surplus to my needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
thez4
United_States
Rep

Thanks very much for the replies!!

Right now I am thinking of just getting 2 replacement wheels and 4 new tires. I am looking for something like a CSL wheel where it would look like an OEM wheel but I am not sure where to get it.

If I have to go for stock wheels and pay $700 for the pair, would you recommend to go for 4 new after market wheels from tirerack? Also, any suggestions on good ones? I definitely do not want to lose my BMW center cap ;-)

18'' vs 17'' ? How much difference does it make in the drive? I am not that much of a performance driver but looking for a very smooth and noise free drive.

Last edited by thez4; 09-30-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez4 View Post
Thanks very much for the replies!!

Right now I am thinking of just getting 2 replacement wheels and 4 new tires. I am looking for something like a CSL wheel where it would look like an OEM wheel but I am not sure where to get it.

If I have to go for stock wheels and pay $700 for the pair, would you recommend to go for 4 new after market wheels from tirerack? Also, any suggestions on good ones? I definitely do not want to lose my BMW center cap ;-)

18'' vs 17'' ? How much difference does it make in the drive? I am not that much of a performance driver but looking for a very smooth and noise free drive.
"Good" is probably anything we can't afford, lol. Tire Rack has some ASA wheels that are the CSL style that fit well and cost about the same for a set of 4 as a pair of the OEM wheels. I put some on my coupe and they fit well; the stock BMW center caps didn't fit well (at least the ones that came on my 07) - they went in OK but didn't completely seat - but I found some others from Tischer the fit just right.

BBS wheels are often the "preferred" aftermarket rims, but will cost anywhere from $300+ to 1200 each depending upon how "good" one wants to get. Most anything that Tirerack offers will be fine for the street; you don't need to be overly picky about them being ultra light/strong/$$$ - go with what appeals to your taste and wallet.

Another option that's popular for a budget priced CSL style wheel is from Velocity Motor Sports which are retailed thru suppliers such as **********s.com and European Auto Source.

As to size, your 17's will be fine with the ride being much better than the stock RFT's; 18's will trade a bit of ride for a bit sharper handling, but the ride will still be better than the RFT's. 17's will be a bit cheaper for both wheels and tires if that's a factor, but either will be just fine for general street/sporting driving; many move to 18's (or 19's or even 20's) more for appearance than any particular function, so it's mostly up to you and your preferences. Generally, the bigger the wheel, the heavier and more expensive it is, ride harshness will go up and as does risk of wheel damage from potholes, etc. - the taller sidewall of the 17's give more cushion to the wheels as well as to your butt.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
thez4
United_States
Rep

Thanks calrick!!! that answers a lot of my questions. I looked through tirerack and decided to go with 4 new ASA AR1 wheels. I am hoping to get some of the big bucks back if I can sell my Stock wheels and the RFTs that I have ;-)

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...2FMachined+Lip

I saw that few wheels are 17x7.5 and others are 17x8. Is there a huge difference between one and another?

Is there any thing else that I need to watch out for before I buy the complete set of wheels and tires?

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

Anything but csl's...They are nice and all but played out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian915 View Post
Anything but csl's...They are nice and all but played out.
One of the nice things with our Z's is that they are still uncommon enough that nothing is really "played out" on them (it's not like when the 240Z's were current and every other one wore either 4 spoke libres or slotted dish mags, courtesy of the dealers' added markup programs!) The Z4 is a classic enough design in shape and character that it can get away with a classic design wheel. To me the five spoke variations are overdone on the Z, primarily because it is such a common OEM theme on them.

The nice thing is that we can pretty much do what we want with our cars, subject to market availability. It's your car, so do whatever floats your boat with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

I see more csl's than 5 spokes on these cars! Lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Check out Rial Ravenna in 18" at TR. Made in Germany, and no centering rings. Still reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0