ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Should I get patched RFTs?

My 2005 Z4 needs to have its rear tires (not staggered) replaced after 4 years-18K miles of easy driving on good roads. The fronts still have 6/32 of tread left, and no signs of unequal wear. I can get 2 patched (nail-like punctures in middle of tread--6-7/32 treads) original Potenza 225X50X16 that show no signs of unequal wear for $150 plus blancing and mounting. Now, of course, I'm not crazy about RFTs, but it will cost me about $700 (total) to get the convential tires I like. There is a very reasonable savings if I go with the patched tires. Now I don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish, but if the patched tires were thought to be safe, I'd go with them. So, what do you guys think about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

I am now driving on 2 rears that have been patched from nail intrusions, though I did not purchase them as such. They seem to be fine. Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Did a little more research on this issue and have had a few replies from this forum and from a couple of other Z4 forums. Consensus is that although RFTs can be patched, there are just too many other variables that enter into the picture to make me feel secure in getting patched tires. Some of the things to be aware of is how long has the tire run while flat (no way of knowing and running at more than 50 mph or for more than 100 miles will compromise the tire), was the tire fixed in accord with RFT specs, and whether or not the side wall has been damaged (very difficult to tell on RFTs)? Since buying the tires from a "used tire dealer" really can't answer these questions with assurity, I've opted to get new non-RFTs on all corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

it's fine but I wouldn't pay so much for em