ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
neoexodus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E93

Newbie Questions

Alright guys, as I've noted in a few posts, I currently have the hots for the Zs, but don't have the (financial means, cashflow, balls; whichever sounds right) to buy one at this time. However, I love to do research and know all about something before I bite the bullet, so I have a bunch of newbie questions that I want to throw out there. Please feel free to ask other very general non-owner type questions in here as well, as long as mine get answered I'm looking for a 06-08 Z Roadster, almost definitely M-Series, in case that impacts any of your answers.
  • I have a garage- do any of the stock Z4s (current model not included) have an integrated garage door opener? I've gotten mixed responses on this.
  • What is DSC and what are the benefits/drawbacks?
  • I've seen iPod integration kits (DICE, etc); do those display info on the faceplate/nav screen (i.e. song, artist, album, etc)
  • I'm 99% on this; do all 2006 and above have Xenon, because I'll never go back to Halogen, I still don't know how I drove at night that many years without being able to see anything...
  • With the Bluetooth connection- is information displayed when you get a call (i.e. phone number, caller name if programmed)?
  • With Bluetooth, can you get anything other than Phone Calls (texts, bluetooth streaming music, etc)?
  • Can you really fit 2 golf bags in the trunk (as advertised); specifically with M and the smaller trunk area?

More to come (I'm sure), but it's 5 PM and it's a Friday, which means I get to leave. Later (and thanks in advance)!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
neoexodus
Private
Rep

No takers? Even if you can only answer one or two of the questions, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoexodus View Post
  • I have a garage- do any of the stock Z4s (current model not included) have an integrated garage door opener? I've gotten mixed responses on this.
    I don't think they come standard with the homelink - it can be installed though
  • I've seen iPod integration kits (DICE, etc); do those display info on the faceplate/nav screen (i.e. song, artist, album, etc)
    Intravee II will display the info on the Nav screen. Not sure about Dice and the OEM iPod link
  • I'm 99% on this; do all 2006 and above have Xenon, because I'll never go back to Halogen, I still don't know how I drove at night that many years without being able to see anything...
  • With the Bluetooth connection- is information displayed when you get a call (i.e. phone number, caller name if programmed)?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I paired the Bluetooth on both my E90 and my Z4M. Both would occasionally show the caller info - but not every time. I ended up un-syncing the Bluetooth on the M because people said it was near impossible to hear me.
  • With Bluetooth, can you get anything other than Phone Calls (texts, bluetooth streaming music, etc)?
  • Can you really fit 2 golf bags in the trunk (as advertised); specifically with M and the smaller trunk area?
    Without drivers... probably. But the drivers would go in the passenger seat, so you only need to carry 1 bag.

More to come (I'm sure), but it's 5 PM and it's a Friday, which means I get to leave. Later (and thanks in advance)!
      09-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
If you take the drivers out and put the bags in then place the drivers on top of the bags they will all fit in the trunk. I can fit 2 bags and a cooler (where the M has it's battery box) when I go golfing with my buddies.

The trunks are like an hourglass shape so you can fit skinny long things in but not something that is long and wide at the same time, if that makes sense.

About bluetooth, I don't have any problems talking to people or having them hear me (wifi on my iPhone needs to be turned off for the best connection) Names that I have in my contact list on my phone always come up as well. For voice dialing you need to program them into the car manually though.

Nothing more than calls on the bluetooth. no chime for texts and I am about 99% sure that music is not included in the BMW module either... but it has a built in AUX port so it is easy to get music to the car alternatively without spending for the Intravee or integrated iPod solutions.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
neoexodus
Private
Rep

Great information guys, thanks!

@nmulax: for the Homelink installation; are you referring to the diy mod to install Homelink or the replacement of the rearview mirror with a UGDO, or is there another option?

Last edited by neoexodus; 09-28-2009 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Follow up question on HL
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

OEM Bluetooth does not supports only the handsfree and phonebook transfer BlueTooth profiles. The only trouble with BlueTooth I've had is that people can't hear me over 5K RPMs
      09-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Great information guys, thanks!

@nmulax: for the Homelink installation; are you referring to the diy mod to install Homelink or the replacement of the rearview mirror with a UGDO, or is there another option?
I was talking about the DIY Homelink panel install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
OEM Bluetooth does not supports only the handsfree and phonebook transfer BlueTooth profiles. The only trouble with BlueTooth I've had is that people can't hear me over 5K RPMs
That's when I cars sound best
      09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Hopefully the OP doesn't mind me throwing a question up here:

crfine88 and I were discussing this over the weekend... besides updated streets, POI, etc, is there any difference between the Nav disc for '06, '07, and '09?
Like updated menu layouts, or possibly a fix for the white road on yellow background
      09-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
neoexodus
Private
Rep

Don't mind it at all! Though I can't answer your question, I have a new one of my own; I know the Z4s come with RFTs, and my understanding is that the Z4Ms come with performance tires; correct? In the event of getting a flat on the M, are we to rely on a can of fix-a-flat?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Don't mind it at all! Though I can't answer your question, I have a new one of my own; I know the Z4s come with RFTs, and my understanding is that the Z4Ms come with performance tires; correct? In the event of getting a flat on the M, are we to rely on a can of fix-a-flat?
Yep, M cars come with a can of sealant and a mini compressor. BMW's M division realizes RFTs don't perform as well and therefore they don't offer them.