BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
New First time BMW owner question

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a used 2007 BMW X3, and I like it a lot so far. Of course since its at 100K, I plan to change the diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid (change only by dropping the pan, cleaning it, installing new fluid and filter), and powersteering fluid (in the future, but looks good to me). The coolant is good, and I do have all the service records from when it was bought to this year. Although it seems the previous owner bought into BMW's "lifetime fluid."
I've primarily driven and fixed VW, and with VW, I use VCDS for diagnostics, real time data, coding, adaptations, etc. I researched into similar software for BMWs and I came across Rheingold ISTA-P (http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.p...egory=16152035) (http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.p...egory=20084013), and INPA. Which software would you all recommend? Would I be able to use ISTA for diagnostics, coding, etc like how I can use VCDS on VW? Also, if ISTA is good, should I buy the first link package or second link?
Another question: Any good looking double din aftermarket dash kits for the E83? So far I only see single DIN.
I also appreciate any tips and advice for anything else related to my car. Thanks

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 06-24-2017 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Did you know that there is a specific forum for X3 owners? You might want to try and post your questions there as more X3 owners will seet them: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/index.php

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok. I'll post in the First Generation forum. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a used 2007 BMW X3, and I like it a lot so far. Of course since its at 100K, I plan to change the diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid (change only by dropping the pan, cleaning it, installing new fluid and filter), and powersteering fluid (in the future, but looks good to me). The coolant is good, and I do have all the service records from when it was bought to this year. Although it seems the previous owner bought into BMW's "lifetime fluid."
I've primarily driven and fixed VW, and with VW, I use VCDS for diagnostics, real time data, coding, adaptations, etc. I researched into similar software for BMWs and I came across Rheingold ISTA-P (http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.p...egory=16152035) (http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.p...egory=20084013), and INPA. Which software would you all recommend? Would I be able to use ISTA for diagnostics, coding, etc like how I can use VCDS on VW? Also, if ISTA is good, should I buy the first link package or second link?
Another question: Any good looking double din aftermarket dash kits for the E83? So far I only see single DIN.
I also appreciate any tips and advice for anything else related to my car. Thanks
You can obtain ISTA for free - check out coding section the "other forum" - tons of good coding info and help there.

What is a "DIN?"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks,
I'll look into ISTA.

A DIN is a 2" x 8" opening (once you pull out the radio headunit), and the term is often used in the aftermarket stereo industry. E83 first gen is only single DIN, and the air vents take up too much space, so a double DIN (4" x 8" opening) headunit won't fit. I'll just convert the storage compartment on the top to put a Double DIN (future project)
Appreciate 0