ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

San Angelo

OK...I thought it was awesome having such a unique car in this town. Then I see an M3 driving around...then another...and yesterday, I saw TWO 3.0si's!!! What the heck?! We need to get together or something!!!!!

I'M THE GUY IN THE BLUE M COUPE!

lol but seriously...if anyone is on here we need to meet up and talk cars or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OK time to bump this one up!

I've seen WAY too many M3s and Z4s rolling around town!!! They came out of the woods after I bought mine! What's up people?! Where you at?! lol

Saw a NICE AW 3.0 driving on the loop yesterday...HOLLA
      08-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

007, i'm based in del rio at laughling afb. have never visited san angelo, though it's about 2.5 hours out from where i'm at. i've an ib m coupe as well, though with the carbon leather and black nappa interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

goodfellow here. How's laughlin? I can't imagine being there...it's bad enough here.
      08-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

laughlin's ok, not much out here either. was just browsing ur albums, are u using dan's decals all around? i botched my install (a few decal folds cos of excess material from stretching) and noticed urs were stuck on perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah i used the decals. it took me a few times to get them just right. I didn't do it from the paper, i took them off and applied them, so they're a little stretched, but after sitting in the nice hot sun, the little bubbles that were there, made their way out. when i get my confidence up and space in my garage, i'll most likely paint them all.
      08-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

my decal application has minimal bubbles but there are a good two to three folds of excess material, which makes them look 'jagged' and spoils the clean lines of the car. not to mention they're not perfectly paint matched.

will painting the reflectors give us problems passing the annual tx state inspection?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i haven't gotten the inspection done yet, but i wouldn't believe so. they'r emainly looking for horn, turn signals, brakes, etc. to make our ar road worthy and safe, not reflectors.
      08-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

realized we've got two separate threads going on our reflectors! anyway, do u often meet up with anyone from the forums in san angelo or the surroundings?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Welcome r4gs! I've met 007. He's a cool guy.
I've also met JBH briefly and he seems cool as well. JBH gave me this link http://www.dfwautocross.com/ and I think I might get back into AutoX.

There are some Austin, Houston and San Antonio guys floating around. We should have a huge Texas BBQ meet
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

where's everyone lurking though? haha! dallas is awfully far from where i'm based at the moment, but it'd be great to meet up somewhere more centrally.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Welcome r4gs! I've met 007. He's a cool guy.
I've also met JBH briefly and he seems cool as well. JBH gave me this link http://www.dfwautocross.com/ and I think I might get back into AutoX.

There are some Austin, Houston and San Antonio guys floating around. We should have a huge Texas BBQ meet
i AGREE!!!! i'm SO down for that...labor day weekend? lol actually i'll be in austin that weekend on business...
      08-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

my my, three day weekends are precious! i must put forth my near non-existent bbq skills though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
Blind32
United_States
Rep

I just googlemapped it and Austin is ~ 4 hours from all 3 of us. Maybe we could have a Texas meet there. Plus there are some other Texans like I mentioned before. I have heard Salt Lick BBQ is amazing in Austin or we could find a grill and DIY
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just googlemapped it and Austin is ~ 4 hours from all 3 of us. Maybe we could have a Texas meet there. Plus there are some other Texans like I mentioned before. I have heard Salt Lick BBQ is amazing in Austin or we could find a grill and DIY
Yeah, i've seen a couple posters on here that had austin as their locale. We'll see. I'll be TDY down there at the end of the month, maybe i'll see one or two and be able to run em down.

Honestly, I'd be open to hosting something. If it gets around, maybe we could start a travelling BBQ every month. that'd be pretty cool...

OH and yes, three day weekends are the shiznit. haha
      08-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

007, just curious - do u have a cai installed? i'm entertaining the 'sound' factor improvement (the performance debate still continues though) and would like to hear one in person. if u'd like to sample the cdv delete, i've got the zeckhausen one installed (actually turns out cheaper than fashioning a means to join the transmission lines together) and it makes a noticeable difference. then again, gear engagement is still notchy and stiff as opposed to smoother shifting gearboxes in mazda's and nissans that i've sampled recently.

also, since my front bumper clear coat issue is going to require a respray, i'm going to have the amber reflectors putty-ed over and smoothed so i never ever have to see them again. i may get the rear reflectors painted at the same time if i can somehow figure out a way to remove them for the bodyshop.

this is so off-topic!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

nah, not off topic.

I don't have CAI, the only thing I have so far is the RPi scoop. Doesn't really do much for sound. I've been back and forth about CAI for this car since I bought it. If I were going for sound, I'd have to get the Gruppe M, but that's almost hte same price as rims and tires. lol

We could meet up anytime, I didn't realize you were 'so close'. I thought Laughlin was way out there...

If you're looking to to paint the rear, check out crfine's thread, he did his, even did the same thing with deleting the fronts.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403119

It's a really awesome thread if you've never seen it. #15 is his post about painting his rear reflectors/lights.
      08-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

yeah we should meet up somewhere in-between, like Sonora (small quaint town i'm presuming) right on the intersection between I-10 and Highway 277. going to be pretty empty roads and we could do a cruise around the area. i'd be privy to checking out ur sepang interior. it's unique!

thanks for the links, i did have a look at that thread before. i'd do exactly the same thing with my front bumper save for putting on a clear bra (body shop boss told me the repainted bumper would need a good month to fully cure before applying any kind of adhesive). have got a letter written by the body shop boss specifically indicating that my clear coat issue should be covered under warranty, so we will have to see. i obviously can't get bmw to mold over the front reflectors cos they'd firstly charge an arm for that, and secondly, would probably decline that as it would not be 'stock'.

i'm leaning towards just going out of pocket with the full front bumper refinish + molded reflectors, and will just pop the rear reflectors out and get those painted as well, since the paint would've been mixed up. blend everything nicely, and hopefully the result is well worth the cash!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Blind32
United_States
Rep

I wish I was "Close" so we could all meet up.

FYI, you don't need to fashion the clutch line together. Without the CDV it just screws together since the CDV is female on one end and male on the other.

I was thinking about starting a SouthWest Chat thread so we have somewhere to BS about everything and nothing at the same time. I believe that if we make this section more active, we may be able to draw people into checking it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
yeah we should meet up somewhere in-between, like Sonora (small quaint town i'm presuming) right on the intersection between I-10 and Highway 277. going to be pretty empty roads and we could do a cruise around the area. i'd be privy to checking out ur sepang interior. it's unique!

thanks for the links, i did have a look at that thread before. i'd do exactly the same thing with my front bumper save for putting on a clear bra (body shop boss told me the repainted bumper would need a good month to fully cure before applying any kind of adhesive). have got a letter written by the body shop boss specifically indicating that my clear coat issue should be covered under warranty, so we will have to see. i obviously can't get bmw to mold over the front reflectors cos they'd firstly charge an arm for that, and secondly, would probably decline that as it would not be 'stock'.

i'm leaning towards just going out of pocket with the full front bumper refinish + molded reflectors, and will just pop the rear reflectors out and get those painted as well, since the paint would've been mixed up. blend everything nicely, and hopefully the result is well worth the cash!
There's the Caverns there. My wife has been wanting to see those for a while, so I might use that to get her out with us. I'd love to get some kind of cruise organized for this year.

Quote:
I wish I was "Close" so we could all meet up.

FYI, you don't need to fashion the clutch line together. Without the CDV it just screws together since the CDV is female on one end and male on the other.

I was thinking about starting a SouthWest Chat thread so we have somewhere to BS about everything and nothing at the same time. I believe that if we make this section more active, we may be able to draw people into checking it.

Yeah I was thinking about that, too. I know there's quite a few more people in Texas, let alone the Southwest on here. If we could get a decent group of people, I'd like to try and do a cruise sometime this fall...

My wife got me the ///M flag for the next C&C, or whatever meet we all might go to.
      08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

By the way, where are you getting your bumper done? Mine may need some minor work soon, as well as the reflector delete.
      08-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #22
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
By the way, where are you getting your bumper done? Mine may need some minor work soon, as well as the reflector delete.
atm, waiting on bmw of san antonio to agree to a fix under warranty, though what i'd really be happy with is if advantage bmw in houston (where i bought cpo-ed) would agree to pay for a respray AND i can have it done locally.

met a friendly mechanic who owns his own transmission shop near lake amistad and he recommended a local bodyshop affiliated with brown automotive (GM + nissan) in del rio. he'd helped me with my cdv swap and is also mechanically certifying my car for the h2r track day, and is lending me his expensive helmet and radar detector for the trip (i've actually just ordered a valentine one for myself since they seem to hold exceptional resale value anyway).

what minor work does ur bumper require? i'm presuming it'll be a respray since reflector delete via molding would require a full respray + blend.

oh, if anyone's interested in coming down to the h2r track next saturday to check things out and back a fellow bmw up, that'd be great! I AM STILL ALONE, and in the novice group with SEVEN camaro SSes! i found their thread on camaro5 forums.
Appreciate 0