ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippelyp View Post
Is it possible to attend with a different kind of car? My Z4 is a convertible.
As long as it's not a car with super high center of gravity (like a truck, van, or SUV). The only SUVs we allow are BMW SAVs (X3 and X5). But if you have another sedan or coupe with a fixed top, doesn't really matter what it is, you can participate.

Heck someone is coming with a Honda Insight.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Auto Club Speedway cost us $16,500 to rent per day. And that's the DISCOUNTED rate they charge.

Throw $1,200 on there for insurance, $1,200 for corner workers, $2,000 for food, and you're already looking at at least $21,000.

Divide that by 65, which is our usual average numbers of attendees (capped due to numbers of instructors available), you're looking at $323.07 per person to BREAK EVEN.

We (Central California) just had an event at Buttonwillow and that's far cheaper to rent, and the prices for that event was a lot cheaper than what we need to charge for the L.A. event.

Believe you me, the CCA is a 507 non-profit organization and every PENNY in income gets taxed up the wazzu. We're not in this to make money.
Thanks for the details. That's one expensive track to rent! I guess we're lucky here in Seattle.

ps: I wouldn't think you're in this to make money. In fact, based on the cost figures you give, you should charge a little extra. Club should (target to) make small amount of money at each event to cover future event costs.
      04-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
philippelyp
Private
Rep
Drives: SMG Supercharged

If I get the car that I'm currently looking at on time, that will probably be a lot sportier than that

Quote:
As long as it's not a car with super high center of gravity (like a truck, van, or SUV). The only SUVs we allow are BMW SAVs (X3 and X5). But if you have another sedan or coupe with a fixed top, doesn't really matter what it is, you can participate.

Heck someone is coming with a Honda Insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Thanks for the details. That's one expensive track to rent! I guess we're lucky here in Seattle.

ps: I wouldn't think you're in this to make money. In fact, based on the cost figures you give, you should charge a little extra. Club should (target to) make small amount of money at each event to cover future event costs.
Yeah, sorry about that last line. This is the first time I'm organizing an event so it's eye opening how much the cost are associated. I used to think doing this stuff is expensive until I actually saw the breakdown of the cost. It's not a cheap sport.

It's the same reason why Golden Gate can't afford to do events at Sears Point. I believe during the warmer season it's $18,000 a day to rent.

BUT, it (Auto Club Speedway) is a popular track located near a large metropolitan area, within 30 minute drive of most of our customers...If you factor in the fact that local, L.A. people will not need to get a hotel room AND a tank of gas to get to the track, that $325 all of a sudden looks a lot more promising.

Right now, if we get more than 65 customers then we can potentially make a small contribution back to the chapter's operational coffer. That's why I've been on all the boards spamming for the event.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
philippelyp
Private
Rep

$325 is very reasonable If my offer on the new car go through, I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that last line. This is the first time I'm organizing an event so it's eye opening how much the cost are associated. I used to think doing this stuff is expensive until I actually saw the breakdown of the cost. It's not a cheap sport.

It's the same reason why Golden Gate can't afford to do events at Sears Point. I believe during the warmer season it's $18,000 a day to rent.

BUT, it (Auto Club Speedway) is a popular track located near a large metropolitan area, within 30 minute drive of most of our customers...If you factor in the fact that local, L.A. people will not need to get a hotel room AND a tank of gas to get to the track, that $325 all of a sudden looks a lot more promising.

Right now, if we get more than 65 customers then we can potentially make a small contribution back to the chapter's operational coffer. That's why I've been on all the boards spamming for the event.
325 really isn't bad. First, there's the instruction (worth every penny). Second, like Hack says, local folks don't need a hotel room or gas.

I spend about 150 per event on hotel and gas just to be at Thunderhill (getting up at 4:30 AM on a track day just doesn't work for me). Even if I run with a less expensive outfit, it still comes to very close to the cost of this event without the added benefit of instruction.

Again, local L.A. folks really ought to be jumping on this IMO. If I were local, I would be there no question.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
The HACK
Rep

BUMP. Last day to register.

If nothing else. Play hookie. Come out to the track, and pay $5.00 for a chance at a raffled ride with Boris Said. And if you don't win the raffled ride, there are plenty of instructors who'd be willing to take you out for a lap or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #30
philippelyp
Private
Rep

Got my "non convertible" car on time. I'm in
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
philippelyp
Private
Rep

That was AWESOME. Cherry on the cake, I got lucky and won laps with Boris
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #32
The HACK
Rep

Sweet!
Appreciate 0